“Excellent location”

Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Ashburton, New Zealand
“Excellent location”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Very nice outlook. Roomy apartment with all we needed including a coffee plunger (so often missing). Clean and well serviced. Good amount of bedding for summer. Maybe in need of some air conditioning as it got very hot in the morning with the sum shining in. Central location was excellent; close to buses, CBD, galleries etc.

Room Tip: In summer, maybe ask for a room with airconditioning.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
QHW, General Manager at Quality Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Deefa7700,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, I really appreciate you sharing your experience with us.
Olivier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

I stay here regularly for work as our offices are just round the corner. Alway clean and tidy well appointed large rooms. Great location on Cuba Street with everything you need within walking distance. Polite and helpful staff.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Yonnamalone,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and for your continued loyalty to the hotel. Great location indeed, walking distance to lots of fantastic restaurants, cafés, a boutique movie theatre just behind the hotel and many amazing little retail shops; all makes Cuba Street a very unique destination which is very appreciated by many of our guests especially during their weekend breaks …
I look forward to welcoming you back at CQ Hotels Wellington in the near future.
hamilton, N Z
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hotel is in a good location. We enjoyed the very large rooms.The smaller rooms being written about are in the Comfort hotel which is an old historic building. The 2 hotels share the lobby. The Quality rooms also have a well equipped kitchenette which would come in very handy for many travellers.Unfortunately the spa pool was out of service for our 2 night stay. This was a large disappointment to us as it was a major reason in choosing this hotel. After we had walked the Wellington streets it would have been great to soak in the spa. The last time I stayed here I was on the side of the hallway that seems to have a shower over the bath. Our friends were on the oposite side of the hall and had this very silly shower with doors that don't close at all and all the floor is flooded and towels saturated. Unfortunately this time we were on the same side of the hallway and given this type of shower and it is extremely annoying. I am not sure why the shower cant be given an extra sliding door to stop the water problem. Also the floor only holds a small amount before it goes over the metal rim and floods. So you have water coming from the shower and the floor. It was not a pleasant experience and put us off wanting to shower. The aircon worked well.the breakfast was delicious. I would stay again due to all of the positives.Ii also agree that it is very annoying to be charged extra for your credit card. If everyone paid in cash only they would spend less and the hotels would lose out on money. When you can bill that extra drink to your credit card it is easier to spend more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JBRHam
QHW, General Manager at Quality Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear JBRHam,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at CQ Hotels Wellington.
I am very sorry that you were not able to use the hotel Spa Pool on this occasion, unfortunately the main pump went out-of-order and we were waiting to get parts for repair from Auckland. It seems the repair took longer than anticipated, I am sorry again for the inconvenience; the Spa Pool is now back into service.
Thank you for your comment in regards to the shower design, we are still working to find the best possible option to resolve this matter. Thank you again for bringing this to my attention.
I look forward to welcoming you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in! Although it was clean and tidy, I struggled to walk around the bed, let alone get dressed/undressed. The windows could not be opened properly to let any air in hence the room was stuffy. The staff were friendly and were willing to help with any issues. I suppose the hotel is a budget hotel afterall and it served it's purpose for my 1 night stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
QHW, General Manager at Quality Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us; I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
I have taken careful note of your comment in regards to the size of the room and as you noticed, the CQ Comfort Hotel is a prestigious 3 Star Plus Qualmark heritage building dating back to the 1800s. The hotel provides all of the basic necessities, comfortable and well appointed rooms in the middle of a very unique and vibrant heart of the Capital, Cuba Street. Our economy rooms are compact, but are definitely a good option for budget conscious travellers
During your next visit in Wellington, you may consider to reserve a room into the adjoining CQ Quality Hotel Wellington, 4 Star Plus Qualmark, all suites are very spacious with Queen size beds and equipped with modern kitchenettes. Adjoining shared facilities with the CQ Quality Hotel Wellington and CQ Comfort Hotel Wellington are an heated indoor pool and spa, fitness room, 24h reception, room service, restaurant, bar and café.
I really appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

While the rooms are very stuffy as other reviews have highlighted, the rare opportunity to have a hotel that allows the windows to be fully opened to allow fresh air to flow through the room was very much enjoyed in stark contrast to air conditioning.

Our room was very spacious with two comfortable beds and firm pillows which allowed for good sleep while the location of the hotel is perfect to walk to all parts of the city.

I would have given a 5 star rating but with the amenities in the room of tea and biscuits not being replenished during our two night stay, a four star is more appropriate.

We will quite happily stay here again though and recommend this hotel to you with confidence.

Kind Regards,

Mike and Daniela
Mike's Wine Tours
Melbourne
Australia.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mike and Daniela,
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Thank you
I will share your comments with the team; I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
I have also taken note of your comment in regards to the amenities not being replenished during your stay; please accept my apologies. Your feedback has been shared to our housekeeping team reminding them to be more vigilant. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel, please feel free to contact us directly and we will take care of your reservation personally.
new zealand
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Booked it for the convenient location and expected a bit of noise being in Cuba St. Very pleased to get a nice big room at the back so headed off for the evening with hopes of a decent sleep. Came back at 11pm to seriously booming music and raucous voices from a bar or club whose outside area backed onto the parking area we overlooked . Got louder and louder until about 3am supplemented by drunks in the car park swearing and fighting and what sounded like fire crackers going off.
The bed was also saggy and uncomfortable . Woken at 7.20 by what sounded like a bin lorry then a fork lift truck, with a sore back from the saggy bed.
Other features that did not impress were the empty shortbread packet with the tea and coffee, the dangerous sharp metal raised edge between the room and bathroom and the cleaners trying to get in before we checked out.
Mentioned the noise to the staff member who did out checkout. Complete lack of interest. Worst night we have ever had in a hotel and not cheap either. Avoid!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Quality Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear holyisle,
Thank you for sending your message and feedback to us. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.
I personally investigated the issue you have raised and found out that the problem was coming from outside the hotel perimeter and located in a nearby Havana Cafe. The Night Team contacted both the cafe and Wellington City Noise control during the night to stop the unacceptable level of nuisance. It is very unfortunate that it took so long for the matter to be completely resolved, please accept again our sincerest apologies; this was unfortunately out of our control.
Rest assured that I have personally taken the appropriate measures to address the problem directly with the owner of the Cafe and all our efforts are concentrated in preventing future occurrences, I have also asked our reservation department to allocate you away from this side of the hotel and this for any future stay with us.
I would like to reiterate our commitment to high quality standards, and I personally would like to make sure that you will experience it during your next stay with us.
I am looking forward to welcoming you again at CQ Hotels Wellington. Please do not hesitate to contact me during your next visit.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

There weren't many rooms available when we booked so the room we had was very small - basically just enough room for the bed, our bags and a tiny bathroom. Having said that though the room itself was very tidy, clean, and modern looking and felt comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was great. The only real let down was the lack of sound proofing between the rooms which was the worst I've ever experienced in a hotel. I also think it's bizarre to have a 2% surcharge on paying by credit card when that's the usual way people pay for their room.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Quality Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Rochelle K,
Thank you for you recent stay with us and for taking the time to post your review.
We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your feedback in regards to the sound proofind, we will look this as a priority. Once again, thank you for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website and we will take care of your reservation personally.