“Excellent staff and good location but cold rooms”

Quality Hotel Wellington
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is in a very convenient location, close to buses and Oxford Street which has lots of restaurants. The area is a little shady at night so if you are a female travelling alone just be cautious. I stayed for four nights and on my second night I went to the front desk to ask a question. The wonderful woman at the desk asked how my stay was and I said it was good but the room felt a bit depressing since I looked onto the "courtyard" aka surrounded by tall buildings and concrete so I had no sunlight whatsoever. She offered to move me to another room without me even asking! My next room had a lot more sunlight and a great view. The rooms still felt a bit cold though as the walls are all concrete and the overhead lighting is harsh. The temperature was cold too even with the AC off! The bed was comfy but the showers in both of my rooms need an overhaul. I would recommend this hotel because of its good value but it's not perfect!

Room Tip: Avoid the courtyard rooms. I stayed in room 111 and it was so dark even when it was a bright and sun...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
QHW, General Manager at Quality Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Good morning Laura,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular, the service provided by the Front Office team. I am sure that your reference about the restaurants means in fact about Cuba Street, which has a lots of bars, cafes and restaurant indeed. I look forward to welcoming you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great location - Cuba Street is excellent for eating out, although restaurants get very busy on Fridays and Saturdays, and the hotel is close to the waterfront, Te Papa, etc. The grandchildren thought the pool the best feature! Rooms include a fully-equipped kitchen area, although the nearest supermarket is a drive away. 30 minutes free wi-fi per night with a code from reception.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms overlook the reception area.
1  Thank deejay16

Good morning Deejay16,
Thank you so much for your fantastic comment; I am glad to read that you and your grandchildren enjoyed your stay and the hotel facilities, especially with the pool!
I look forward to welcoming you again in a very near future

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Having our conference at the hotel made it a great place to be looked after so well by Naomi and Andrew. they where efficient, helpful, and nothing was a bother. as I wa sthe contact person, they made my job so Easy
the food was excellent and the staff again very helpful.
my room was spacious, beds comfortable and plenty of hot water.
Bar area provided a small pleasant place to meet others or grab a quiet drink.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Good morning Diane L
Thank you for your wonderful feedback from your recent conference with us. I have shared your comments with my team especially with Naomi and Andrew and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your conference. Thank you again for your positive comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in a near future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here with wife and two kids for a night in a twin queen room.
Hotel is at the airport end of Cuba Street and easy walking distance of the rest of the CBD. Has a nice small bar. Reception is for both this and The Comfort hotel so was fairly hectic the day we checked in, so we had a bit of a wait and our bags weren't up in our room like we'd been told they would be.
Room rate was good and room was clean and roomy, though the bathroom was small by comparison. Also corner shower without a door meant water all over bathroom floor which was painful.
Swimming pool good though spa not going.
Only major issue was that it was noisy at night, not from the street but from within the hotel ie the noise of the pipes and doors shutting etc. which whilst not a deal breaker was the biggest negative.
Would stay here again given value for money

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
QHW, General Manager at Quality Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for posting your feedback – I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the Suite you stayed in and I have also taken note of your comment about the shower facilities. This will help us to finalise our project to install gradually shower doors in a near future.
Sorry that your bags weren’t up in your room, the team must have been very busy but I will share our comment with them. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our downtown location means that sometime the noise level could be perceived higher than normal especially during the weekend; please feel free to ask our team to allocate you in a quiet room next time you book with us. We would be very happy to assist. We look forward to welcoming you in a near future at CQ Hotels Wellington

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Recently spent the weekend in a twin room. The room was very spacious it slept 4 comfortably but there was not enough storage space for any stays over 3 nights. It was clean and nicely decorated. I would suggest that the hotel as a whole entity is really a high end 3 star as opposed to a 4 star. The bathroom facilities were adequate, with basic toiletries, and the kitchenette with the microwave was a treasure. Would stay again if it was on a special offer.

Room Tip: Recommend rooms 656, 658 and 751.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The location of this Hotel is great right in the middle of Cuba street everything is pretty much walking distance. The size of the rooms are really impressive as we were staying with our two children it was really comfortable, rooms were very clean, the beds were comfortable with quality sheeting, bathroom was spacious, the kitchenette was well equipped . The first room we stayed did not face Cuba street so had a quite night and a very good sleep. Next night though we had the air conditioner in our room play up and had to move rooms at 1:30am with two kids in tow :( the room we moved to faced cuba street and the noise started around 5am. If you are a light sleeper ask for a room that does not face Cuba street or take ear plugs. It was unfortunate we had to move rooms but the night manager handled the situation as well as he could, and refunded our nights accommodation. Overall I would stay with them again asking for a room that faces the back street and cross my fingers the aircon does not play up, as it is good value for a room that comfortably accommodates a family of 4.

Room Tip: ask for a room that faces the back road not Cuba Street if you are a light sleeper
Reviewed April 22, 2013

A great hotel right in the centre of Wellington, within walking distance of everything that you need. Rooms are big, clean and modern and the hotel offers a swimming pool, spa and gym should it take your fancy!

Beds could be a little firmer and the lift seems to have a mind of its own!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple