“A good meal for a social outing”
Review of Public Bar & Eatery - CLOSED

Public Bar & Eatery
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are the essence of Wellington hospitality. We serve a wide variety of amazing cocktails, wines, and micro brews. Our friendly staff will ensure you have the best 'bar / eatery' experience, here at [PUBLIC.] Public caters for all variety of needs including; an outdoor area with a toasty gas fireplace, a private function space catering for groups of up to 50, a relaxed dining area featuring comfortable booths which border the dance floor when the beat takes over. Don’t take our word for it though. Come and enjoy brunch, lunch, dinner or a snack with any one of our wide selection of beverage options.
Reviewed April 24, 2012

As a solo traveller I was enticed into Public by its location and the quality of the menu, in particular the chicken breast which appeared to be a relatively healthy option. It is a mix of a bar and a restuarant and when I was there it was pretty quiet but on a busy night it would be a good atmosphere.
I just ordered the main with a side of vegetables and despite being quiet I did find it took quite a while to come out. The food was good, though I was hoping for more chicken breast.
It was a good meal, but there is nothing about it that'd draw me back but if I was walking past with a group and felt like a drink and maybe a feed I'd probably go in.

There are newer reviews for Public Bar & Eatery

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We had dinner at Public over Easter weekend.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was pretty good. We ate a lot of pretty good seafood - including the seafood chowder soup of the day, and my Husband and I shared one of the seafood platters - which was delicious and more than enough food for the both of us!
Nice atmosphere. We were there when the rugby was on and they turned off the music for that . . . apparently Public used to be a full on sports bar so the big screen etc is a bit of a hangover from that.
Definitely recommended.

1  Thank NZ_traveller_2011
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We got a deal through Grabone.co.nz (like groupon.com).
The platter gave us a great sample of seafood (mussels, calamari, shrimp, fish, etc)

The atmosphere was very nice, no sandles or torn pants allowed.

The live band played awful music later in the evening.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

Went to Public on a Monday evening, although most the clientele were after-work drinkers, it was not too crowded & ok to bring a child to dine. The $10 margarita pizzas were great.

This felt like a cosmopolitan Sydney bar, with one exception - the staff were really friendly & helpful!! There was table service, even for drinks, and the Steinlager on tap was nice and fresh. The chocolate dessert was amazing too.

1  Thank beejayrox
Reviewed December 16, 2011

That's really all there is to say about Public. It's a decent space, and the interior is nice (especially considering it's the old Sports Cafe), but there's really nothing special about the place. There's much better in Wellington.