“Horrific Experience”

The Oriental Thai
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Where do I start?
One member of staff on the floor ensured that service was very lacking, especially as there was a large group in the restaurant. Surrounding tables went un-cleared as we dined as the lone waitress struggled to run the restaurant on her own. She did try her best and worked very hard.
My partner ordered the Thai red curry, what arrived at the table was something that vaguely resembled a red curry, but tasted nothing like it. Due to the waitress being so busy we were unable to mention anything to the staff, so persisted with the meal, it was edible, but not a restaurant quality dish.
My partner then discovered what at first she thought was a chicken bone in a mouthful of curry, which actually turned out to be a very sharp, large piece of plastic. The plastic had cut the inside of her mouth. My partner could no longer eat her meal. We tried to draw this to the attention of the waitress, but again she was rushed off her feet dealing with a large group.

When going to pay the bill we mentioned the foreign object to the waitress, she apologized but said we had to pay for the meal as it was half eaten. After informing her we wouldn't pay for the meal due to the plastic, she went and got a man wearing a filthy hat and stained apron, wearing mud covered trainers, I can only assume he was the 'chef'. He told us that we would not receive a discount as half the meal had been eaten. I informed him that as the piece of plastic was found halfway through eating the meal, then obviously half would have been consumed. This seemed to confuse him, and he became aggressive and threatening. He offered us a takeaway meal, and I informed him that after finding plastic - which he said was a fish bone (in a chicken dish), then some part off the sink - we were not willing to consume anything made from that kitchen. He then became more aggressive and abusive towards us.
We left the 'restaurant' and we will never return.

There are a lot of very good Thai restaurants in the same area, please go there, do not set foot in this hole.

3  Thank kopite85

Reviewed May 20, 2014

I go to The Oriental Thai all the time, and no matter what i order it is always a good portion of well prepared, delicious fresh tasting food.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We go to the Oriental Thai often as the food is always really good. Its not usually very busy and it looks a bit dated inside but worth going to try out. Good prices and a huge menu

1  Thank TravelGuyWgtn
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Arrived into Wellington late at night and we were very pleased to see the Oriental Thai takeaway section was still open. The food was fresh and very tasty and it was cooked while we waited. The fried rice was different to what we've had before, it was a large serving and also very tasty. The oriental Thai curry was extremely flavoursome. It was a delightful meal with generous servings.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have been to many Thai restuarant in Wellington but couldn't find the right test for me until I came here. They have vary nice whole fish and testy padthai, it was a huge dishes which is reasonable price (at first I though its quit expensive comparing with the other thai restaurants). Their service was good also, all waitresses keep smiling, friendly recommend and take a vary good care of us. All of above will keep me and my friends comeback dinning here.