“Southern Cross - 'In it to win it'”

Southern Cross Garden Bar Restaurant
Ranked #174 of 960 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: For over 100 years our place here in Te Aro, Wellington, has been a favourite meeting place for locals. We love being a part of the community and we are ready to throw in the hard yards to make sure everyone who visits us has a great experience. The Cross has something for everyone - have a look around and choose the perfect spot to suit your mood. Each area has been designed to create a different experience, a different ambience. Bring in your team from work, your mates, your kids, your grandparents, your study group, your special someone, your laptop or your party guests – we can set you up with a space, top-notch food and drinks to suit your occasion. We like to make our guests as comfortable as they would in their own home. Our friendly staff will ensure you enjoy your time at ours. We love to play host at special occasions – we provide you with a hassle-free time with plenty of delicious food and drinks (not to mention we take care of the clean up!). The Southern Cross is also a great place to pop into if you’re in the mood to chill – we have magazines, newspapers and boardgames on hand if you’re keen. There’s no room for getting bored here – we’re not just a place to grab a drink. Each week is chocka with entertainment – from massages for new mums, to live gigs, to quizzes!
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Great place for some many things. meet up with friends for a drink and something to eat the Southern Cross has it. What a fun, chilled out quiz night the Southern Cross has it, want to listen to some local bands and bust your moves, this place has it, want to chill in hte garden, in hte words of X-Factor's Randy Jackson - This place is in it to win it!! Check it out, cool spot, different vibes and nooks and crannies, chilled out venue.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Ended up at Southern Cross for a drink and bite to eat. Managed to stuff ourselves with a lamb leg each.. Tasty. Service and atmosphere are very relaxed. Decor is kind of retro and vintage. The stonegrills did look fun, but seemed to create a lot of smoke, which wasn't so great for the other patrons..
Looks like they have various events/social meetups every night of the week. There was a free dance meetup on, which we joined in on and busted some jive moves.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Never have i ever come across a more obnoxious bouncer who refused on letting me in despite the fact that it was MY ID. I have never felt so judged on how i looked when he questioned everything on my passport, which is a valid form of identification. I was not allowed to go in without my parents & after producing my passport as confirmation of my identity & that I am in fact 19, he proceeded to question every little aspect of my life in a rude manner. Even asking me to show the labels on my books, 'just in case' I in fact was a fraud. After a heated argument he reluctantly let me in, but advised all staff that I was not allowed to purchase alcohol. Very disappointed by the rude staff and myself, my family and friends will never go back again.

1  Thank Sophie S
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We booked 2for1 on Tuesday at 7 but turned up early and lucky we did as there where only 3 left at 1820. They can only do a limited number of stonegrills per day as each rock takes 8 hours in the oven.

Food is decent but lacking something. I suppose its up to you to season your meat right but still something not quite right. More fun dining than fine dining but has to be done in New Zealand at some point!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great atmosphere and beautiful decor there's often many events on here. Its a designers treat, different spaces to sit, eat and have a drink with friends. Cuba quarter always cool place to hang. Its a real community hub and you get to experience the diversity of wellington. Foods lovely as well.