“Excellent service and superb dining in Wellington”

Shed 5 Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 963 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We have dined recently at Shed 5 twice and have been suitably impressed. Since the new ownership the restaurant and it's staff are exceeding expectation.

A wonderful dining experience, great ambience and superb meals. We went as a couple once and the took our 10 year old daughter next.

Staff very professional and totally approachable and wonderful dining at the same price as other Wellington restaurants. I would call this an excellent experience and value for money. Something special for the same price as other restaurants.

A particular favourite for me is the fish and the cheese board selection.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Wonderful restaurant on the wharf in Wellington. The service is first class and friendly. The seafood very fresh and delicious. Very good wine list. We were found a table without a reservation for dinner, but certainly best to reserve a table, since this a popular and busy restaurant. We were so impressed with the food and service, we returned the next day for lunch. They remembered us from the previous night and were immediately given a complimentary glass of sparking wine. So unexpected, but a nice touch. When in Wellington, don’t miss Shed 5.

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

The maitre'd has no clue as to how to greet and care for customers. Wait staff were exceptionally well mannered and pleasant, but completely inattentive. My second glass of wine sat on the bar for several minutes before someone bothered to bring if out, by which time I was well into my main course,

The room is really something special although the lighting is an opportunity lost... Very poor.

The menu and food are exceptionally good (can we leave the roe on the scallops please?) but will ultimately be let down by the service.

Note to restauranteur. Train your staff and keep an eye on them.

15/20. Has the potential did greatness.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I kept very good memories of the first time we visited this restaurant some years ago. This was the reason I chose "Shed 5" to have dinner with my family on Christmas Eve. The results of this decision were somehow disappointing to me, even though my wife and son found the experience more satisfying. Anyhow, we all consider that the service was very slow and that the time span between the first and the second course was inordinately long.
As far as the food is concerned, we had tortellini, eel salad and tuna carpaccio as starters. All of them delicious. As mains I chose market fish, which was just acceptable but with a complement I did not find interesting at all. My son, who chose also market fish with a different complement, was more positive than me when judging this course, and my wife liked her toothfish very much. We also had side frites and warm bread, both very fine.
Concerning the wines, I started with an excellent and perfectly served sherry "amontillado" which I strongly recommend and we followed with two bottles of the fantastic "sauvignon blanc" produced in New Zealand: a "Vavasour" and a "Hunters".
The cost of the dinner was a little above 270 nz dollars, out of which 117 nz dollars corresponded to bar (which reinforces what I said in my comment on Scopa some days ago). A price I would have paid more happily had we been better served and my fish better prepared.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We booked for a Tuesday evening, and it was very busy. The fish was delicious. I had the tuna carpaccio to start, and the portion was very generous and delicious. My husband did find a hair in his chowder, but then we got that for free and they were very apologetic. Both fish main courses were equally good, and good wine selection. Service was slightly slow, but on the whole a great evening.