“Excellent pizza”

Ranked #115 of 966 Restaurants in Wellington
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2013

ORD is a great venue for pizza and a beer, which is exactly what a colleague and I were looking for last week - and they didn't disappoint. The great thing is that you can get a group together and share each others' meals, which is usually an unacceptable social convention. Our pizzas were excellent and accompanied by beer from the typical extensive Wellington beer range (why don't restaurants in Auckland provide a similar choice beyond the typical Lion/DB fare?).

Reviewed May 23, 2013

One would expect to pay top dollar for a top glass of wine at a 4-5 star restaurant - $14.00 for what was termed a large glass (rather than the option of a medium glass!) was shocking to say the least. I was starving so wolfed my meal down - but over all was sadly VERY lack-lustre with our waiting staff clearly preferring to be anywhere but serving! Crossing this one off of the 'must take friends to' or recommend. Disappointing!

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Went here last night as a group of 3. Entered the restaurant and proceeded to the unsmiling blonde American maitre-d who seen us enter the restaurant who said 'how can I help you today?" Well I'm sorry but I believe that's ridiculous. When we advised the nature of our visit, she pointed at a table in the corner so we went and seated ourselves- nice. Waited 10 minutes for someone to come over and we ordered. Finished our antipasto platter and then waited 20 minutes at which stage I proceeded to the counter to ask if we could be cleared and order more drinks- the waitress rolled her eyes and said sure. I must mention the maitre-d was folding napkins at that stage which is when you have nothing to do during service but obviously she placed higher priority on getting napkins rolled rather than serving actual customers. After I had gone to the counter a waitress runs over and asks "can I get you any desserts or coffees?" We advised we were still waiting for our mains, er hello, communication please! Another waitress then came over with our pizzas but we hadnt been cleared, eventually she does this. Pizzas were nice but once we were finished we promptly paid and left and will definitely not be back. The food is good but the service and atmosphere is appalling. Avoid at all costs as there's so many quality restaurants in Wellington, you don't need to waste your time with this one.

1  Thank NicolaMaycroft
Reviewed April 28, 2013

On one of our many outings round the great city of Wellington, we tend to frequent this place quite often. On this occasion I have finally decided to review this local favourite.

The food is fantastic, a little picey but worth it. Especially the pizzas. I particularly like the smoked feta and bacon.

One Red Dog has all the usual beers you will find in New Zealand and some key beers from overseas. They are also starting to stock some of New Zealand's finest craft beers, which if you are a tourist, is a must try experience.
Sure the craft beer scene in Wellington is not as big as Portland or Seattle, but it is growing at an amazing rate and soon will rival some of the worlds best.
The wine selection at One Red Dog is also very good, and like me will quickly find a wine that you have never tried before but quickly wishes to purchase a few bottles.

Overall One Red Dog is a comfortable place to stop and enjoy some great food and wine with the company of some equally good people. It can be noisey at times, but intimate conversations are still possible. So sit back and enjoy a nice little conversation on Wellington Harbour looking out towards a city scape.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I came here with a few work colleagues to have a quick meal and after work drinks.
We had heard great things about the food and expected the service to be of the same standard.

Our waitress took our order which included cocktails, pizzas and pasta. Our meals came quite quickly to our surprise and was pretty decently sized for the price we were paying and we would have left happy had the service not let down our experience.

All of us would have had more cocktails and desserts had our waitress not disappeared directly after delivering our meals. Not once did she smile either. To make it worse, while we were standing at the counter waiting to pay, we saw our waitress appear again and clear our table. We honestly thought she had finished her shift but it seems she was just avoiding is.

Poor poor service. I will not be recommending this place to anybody and I, as well as my work colleagues certainly will not be coming back.