“Like mama used to make”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Like mama used to make”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

If I had an Italian mama, this would be the food she would have used to make. I had this place recommended to me by a Wellington-based flight steward who said it was good quality and great value. I can't really argue. I did something I never do at an Italian restaurant - I ordered lasagne. I did it guessing it was the food that the air crews would order and love. Spot on! It was one of the best lasagna's I had ever tasted. Atmosphere wise it was a bit cramped and a bit bitsy (I sat out in the back room) and the service a bit patchy but I would go there if I lived in Wellington and was looking for a good meal before going out to a movie or bar hopping, which is well-suited to its Courtney Place location.

• Visited October 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“Had me from the 1st bite”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Was wandering along this street, amidst noisy busy bars found this quieter little place, felt comfortable from the moment of entry, what i found was a small yet precious gem, the food truly was superb, home cooked all fresh produce and served happily by attentive staff, commended the chef via waitress and Fabrizio came out to chat, great guy very proud of his restaurant and his food said it all the best i have ever had his father makes the sauces well done will always come back

• Visited December 2013
Dunedin
“Lovely Little Italian Restaurant in the Centre of Wellington”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We wanted to take our friends out for a meal while in Wellington and they said one of their favourite places is Nicolini's. It was a good choice! Everything was delicious and the chocolate mousse at the end was amazing! Good value for money with the mains being about $20, entrees about $13 and desserts $13. The service was really great, the staff really attentive. Only minor moan is that if you are wanting a quiet romantic little place this isn't it as it is quite noisy. We watched one couple come in sit down then say to the wait staff, no we aren't staying its too noisy. But we didn't mind. We really enjoyed it.

• Visited August 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Truly romantic”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Had my one year anniversary here, and it was absolutely romantic. My partner used to come here often, so he knew his way around the place, and asked for us to be seated in "the back section" which was separated from the main restaurant area in this quiet little "indoor courtyard" out the back. There was subtle Italian music playing in the background, candle light..it was wonderful. Although I don't usually dine out at places that are a bit out of my price range, this place was definitely worth it. I had the Lasagna al ragu ($19.50) which was amazing, and which my partner exclaimed had increased in size since he last went. He had the Penne chicken which he said was rich and full of flavor. The calamari was also delicious. I would definitely come here again once my financial status allows it :P

• Visited August 2013
Honolulu
“Small restaurant that obviously focuses on making excellent food”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I always try to find at least one great Italian restaurant in all the cities we visit. Nicolini's did not fail us. We ordered one of e daily specials, a prawn appetizer, a pasta dish then the daily special gelato. Everything was absolutely delicious! Anyone looking for great Italian in Wellington should definitely visit here, but make reservations because it is a very small restaurant.

Visited August 2013