“Tasty!”

Ranked #48 of 1,004 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Indian, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A vibrant atmosphere and an innovative design concept, Monsoon Poon offers choices from the exotic flavours of India, South China, Vietnam, Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia - all on one menu.A mix of South East Asian chefs wield their tools of trade in full view of the dining room. Booths and large tables make for an intimate or sociable dining experience, where the wide range of cooking styles can be enjoyed by sharing dishes.
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Stumbled into Monsoon Poon late on Saturday night, we had a group of 6 and even though it was busy we were served our food and drinks fast.

Tasty food, great service, trendy buzzy atmosphere.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

To put my review in context we went to the Poon on Good Friday however for a good restaurant this should not matter. I have been there before so was well aware of the poor service but the food had made up for that. On this occasion little was right . The atmosphere was appalling with unnecessarily loud music coupled with poor lighting, but maybe the resultant sensory deprivation is intended as a cover for the poor food. Service was comedic, after waiting an lengthy period of time I had to employ vigorous arming waving to get the attention of the waiting staff to take our order. A positive was the food turned up quickly. Throughout the evening one waiter kept turning up to our table 2-3 minutes after another waiter had already taken our order. We suspect he was the waiter in charge of our table, but just couldn't get it right.

My wife and I ordered the Nasi Goering, very average, bland and overcooked rice but the surprising element was the large chunks of raw carrot. For our children we went with one of the two limited children options, the butter chicken. Neither of our children could eat their meals despite being quite hungry.The chicken was excessively sweet, very apparent sweetening of this dish to make it "kid" friendly. We tried feeding them the rice but the kids found it "hard". We hoped desert of ice cream would remedy the situation, but no. Who serves ice cream in hot dishes?

When paying the bill I was asked for feedback I provided the above feedback on the food.
The response was very disappointing an apathetic apology and the statement that hopefully my experience would be better next time. In response I told the Maitre'd I will never go back. There are too many good dining places in Wellington to waste time going to Monsoon Poon.

3  Thank Keener2014
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Was recommended by someone. I am currently on 4 day trip to wellington with family. Reached the restaurant approx 6.50 pm, ordered appetizers while waiting in the bar. Vegetarian spring rolls were cold and very bland, apparently they were supposed to be cold, but we should have been advised. And crispy chicken appetizer was very chewy, dry and bland. After 1 hour 15 minutes wait we were seated. We ordered a fish dish, Singapore noodles and a chicken dish. We were brought our food 15 minutes later, but they did not bring any water. We had 2 young kids so we had to ask them to get some water, believe me it was difficult as no one would look or walk towards our table. Overall the food was ok, but I have to give below average due to poor customer service. Dont get me wrong the food was at best average and certainly not worth an hours wait.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Hip, trendy, busy. The food came very fast and our waitress was helpful in picking out a curry that wasn't too hot.

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant has been here for years and that says a lot given the number of restaurants in Wellington that don't survive!
Great asian/Malaysian/Indian food. Excellent service from the staff, who all seem happy to work there!
We had to wait for a table on a Saturday night but the bar area is nice to have a drink at while waiting.
Great for groups or couples.
Their chicken satay is fantastic!