“Arrogance beyond anything I have seen”
Review of Matterhorn

Matterhorn
Ranked #98 of 979 Restaurants in Wellington
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Setting the benchmark for the finest and freshest of New Zealand’s music, dining, service, drink design and culture, Matterhorn gives it to you seven ways in seven days, indoors, outdoors, fireside; it is a regular's restaurant, cocktail bar and café, where attitude is most certainly valued over attire.
Reviewed October 2, 2012

At the risk of sounding arrogant myself, I have eaten at some pretty nice places in some of the nicest corners of the world.

Never have I experiences a place as arrogant as the Matterhorn Cuba Street Wellington. The waiters were friendly enough but I sent my steak back (I asked for medium-rare) as it was anything but medium rare. And yes I know what a medium rare steak should be like.

The chef sent the waiter back twice with the steak in-hand to tell me it was medium rare.

Ended up leaving. Terrible experience. Please avoid!

2  Thank David E

Reviewed October 1, 2012

All I will say is, order the 'whole lamb'. Utterly delicious! Service was great. The space has a really cool vibe - its very dark n' moody & romantic. A BIG thumbs up!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Matterhorn is a bit of an institution. You go for great cocktails but also a well-thought out menu and stylish atmosphere. Two gripes: low lighting makes it difficult to read the menu and it's pricey.
There's a bar, (heated) outdoor area and indoors restaurant area. Fantastic, original, seasonal menus, complicated cocktails, knowledgeable staff.
A place to take visitors who know their food and wine.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Out for dinner with two work collegues - Matterhorn was a great choice; nice atmosphere, amazing service and great food.

The waitresses all really knew and understood the food they were serving up - we had all the components explained to us in great detail.

Food flavour combinations were very impressive

The restaurant itself is set back a bit on Cuba St, it's like the Tardis when you get inside, much bigger than you expect.

yep -it costs a bit, but you get a real dining experience. I'll be back

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Went here for brunch on a Sunday. The restaurant was quite quiet but did not detract from the amazing food. I had Moroccan baked eggs which were delicious and I can recommend the hand cut fries. I'll definitely be back!