“so sad that Wellington didn't support this fabulous chef”

Martin Bosley's Yacht Club Restaurant
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Wellington, New Zealand
“so sad that Wellington didn't support this fabulous chef”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

It is with a heavy heart that I tell you Wellington has lost its best chef. We are just lucky that Paul Hoather has hit a purple patch and is sliding into his place.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank cleancuisine

Wellington
“Delightful from start to finish”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We booked for my wife's birthday. We hadn't been there for over six years. It was a real pleasure to be treated in such a respectful manner - friendly but not familiar; polite but not smarmy. The food was first class. We have dined in some highly reputable restaurants, and the food at Martin Bosley's was absolutely one of the best meals I can remember. It is a pity that some others who have entered reviews have not had the same experience we had this evening. It was value for money. We would certainly return.

• Visited January 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“"Felt like I entered the wrong place..."”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Our Wellingtonian friend who is a real foodie booked the restaurant for us, opportunity to be proud and showcase his country's food talents and beautiful harbour.
We walked in and I thought I was in the wrong place. Front of house were appalling, did not feel welcomed, no one smiled or showed much interest. Maitre'd was not welcoming, yawned behind the bar, floor staff were not professional or well presented for a restaurant of this calibre, didn't,t know the menu well and had trouble communicating in English. Lucky the food hit the mark. I wouldn't,t rush back, prefer Logan Brown. Disappointment!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank B S
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellence with a view”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I thought I'd have a nice seafood lunch! And indeed it was far more than just good and nice. Martin Bosley's served one of the best seafood lunches I've ever had! It was superb.
The restaurant is not large, a mere 15 tables or so. Reception was friendly, forthright and efficient. Nice table with requisite linens, good settings etc., and a scenic view of Wellington's harbor.
Started off with a delicious oyster with garnish etc.
For my starter a fine Trio of Tartare. Beautiful white fish, delicately diced with avocado and coconut etc.; fresh as it comes salmon with hummus and jambon etc.; Nelson's scallops were truly superb. You know they're really sea-new when there's that fine sweetish aftertaste (not the 'cardboard' taste of many restaurants). Perhaps there was just a little bit to much of lemon, but that would be carping (to use an apt metaphor).
My main was the most gratifying grilled red snapper I think I've had in a very long time! with new potatoes, steamed spinach etc., etc. All beautifully served.
I had a good merlot for my wine, and finished with an honest espresso.
Nicely warmed bread to accompany the entire meal and new rolls brought when needed.
Compliments to the lady who was at once hostess and server.
It was a pleasure to have lunch here and I felt positively sybaritic!

• Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
“Disappointment: not good enough to go again”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We are not Wellingtonians: we have long looked forward to going to this restaurant, and when the opportunity came to try for the first time, we made the booking for the fish and chip specialty on Sunday evening.

View: magnificent
One meager bread roll: plates whipped away before we could ask for another
Fish in batter: delicious
Chips: slightly undercooked - but worse, a mean offering
Glass of wine: offered as part of the fish and chip dinner formula, all three we tried were thin and acidic.
Desserts: Shamefully overpriced, tasteless, and, at half the price, would have been extremely ungenerous. When I read about the "crumbled" meringue, I did not expect to get a few "crumbs", sprinkled over a slice of pineapple with a dessert-spoonful of icecream.
Service: our waiter was excellent, attentive, graceful.
Music: oppressive, and clearly used as a tool to empty the restaurant. At 8.30 p.m. we were the second-to-last table to leave. The music volume increased, and the staff made the clean-up just a little too invasive.

Nothing would persuade me to go back, unless I read that changes had been instituted.

• Visited December 2013