“Bit out of the way but well worth it! One of my favourite eats in Wellington”

Maranui Surf Lifesaving Cafe
Ranked #31 of 997 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Beach side cafe offering delicious breakfast and lunch options. Also now open for Dinners Friday and Saturdays - serving tasty snacks, pizzas, Local craft beers & New Zealand wines. Family friendly with relaxed casual dining.
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

This is such a lovely cafe/restaurant on the outskirts of central Wellington near Lyall Bay. We didn't have to wait long a table and were seated with a great view of the bay. There's a kooky cool feel to the diner with plenty of life guard and water sport memorabilia to decorate the area. The food was delicious as was expresso milkshake. This was one of my favourite spots from my time in Wellington but be warned it may be busy at peak hours!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My friend took me to get a takeaway coffee at this lovely little cafe as we had a bit of a drive after she collected me from Wellington airport. It has a great vibe and the coffee was very good. The staff member working the till ( a tall skinny dude) was so rude to me (when I paid for my friends coffee he remarked to her that I seemed keen to pay and I said she had driven a long way to get me so doesn't that seem fair - with a smile i might add) he remarked. I DONT CARE. And sullenly banged away at his till. The only reason I didn't complain is that my friend who I hadn't seen in 30 years had raved it up and I didn't want to embarrass her. She told me later that some baristas in Wellington adopt a surly attitude because they think it gives them a cool vibe like Melbourne. That cracked me right up - Melbourne cafe staff are highly efficient but never that rude. it just leaves a very sour taste. Hope the boss reads this and has a word to his staff. I am a small business owner of a multi-award winning tour business so I understand customer service. good luck.

1  Thank amg1960
Reviewed April 2, 2013

would have to say the last time we stopped in for brunch the lace was a lil bit munkywith flies around some of the empty tables and looked like the interior could do with an upgrade and wipe down...food so so

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The location is unique, the staff are fabulous, the story of the burnd down and re-incarnation incredible - and the food (mostly) exceeds expectations. You won't be disappointed - this place rocks!!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Daughter attended a wedding here on a Saturday, & by chance we ended up back at Maranui when taking her to the airport Sunday morning. Almost didn't go in as we had to wait behind one other person. Had a coffee & breakfast. All good. By the time we left, the queue was out the door, down the steps, & into the street( that speaks for itself!) so go early at the weekend. I often just pop in for a coffee during the week with a friend, always a pleasant experience. The view out to Cook Strait is just wonderful, with children playing on the beach, and the decor indoors is another "view" with all things nautical. Great place.