“Authentic! Great Food, Great Service, Great Value!”

Kazu Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #257 of 930 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wellington, New Zealand
“Authentic! Great Food, Great Service, Great Value!”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I come here once a month for my Japanese food fix, because they serve the most authentic Japanese food in Wellington.

The portion of protein given for each sushi and sushi roll is generous. Especially the Matador Roll, Dragon Roll and the one with the Soft Shelled Crab.

A great variety of classic, traditional Japanese food, and modern contemporary ones.

Technique of serving sushi is extremely old school and traditional. Usually, the sushi rice for a niigiri is served at body temperature and the fish on top is served at room temperature.

Over here, because they pre-press their rice, and leave it out, the rice isn't as warm but at least the niigiri sushi would be left on the plate after it's been made so that the generous slices of fish is brought up to room temperature.

That level of attention to detail is not seen in anywhere else in Wellington.

The last time I went there, they were full but they still managed to find a seat for me at my favourite spot, the counter, right in front of the chefs.

The service staff actually forgot that I existed and as I kept waving my hands to get a server's attention, this chef, despite him being extremely busy with cooking his orders, actually helped me get a server's attention so that I can place my orders.

The only downside to this place is the tempura. The calamari was rubbery, the prawns were just miserably small. Everything was overcooked.

Oh yeah, for the sushi, usually in Japan, they would give half the amount of rice. I guess they have to accommodate the larger appetites of New Zealanders.

Wellington, New Zealand
“Excellent service and delicious food”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Went on a Friday night and were advised that there was a large group so mains might not be available for 20-30 minutes. However, although very busy we were able to get a (sit down) table and the service was excellent and we did not experience any delay and was given great advice about meal and drink (sake) choices.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank AnnaBellaKO
london
“Great presentation”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is quite a busy restaurant where dinner reservation is probably a must (so I was told). The sashimi was very fresh although we were quite disappointed to be told that the tuna was not available for the evening... The seaweed could be a bit more crunchy (fresh) but the sushi is of good standard - we ordered both the soft shell crab and the eel one. The paper hot pot is good but the mushroom was a bit old compared to some others that I've tried. The teriyaki chicken was disappointedly tasteless compared to the few Japanese ones I had overseas and it tasted like it was deep fried before the sauce was added rather than grilled. The deep fried dishes such as the squid and the mix platter was very nice. There were no bento selection but its still quite a good one to try it. Everything was very nicely decorated and the service was very good too.

• Visited January 2014
“To die for!”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Kazu is seriously the best Japanese restaurant we've found in Wellington.
The food is just amazing, they have a huge menu to choose from and specially made us a dish which was on the only on specials menu the first time we dined there.
The Salmon and Tuna sashimi is delicious, so so fresh!
The staff are very accommodating, friendly and polite - even all the kitchen staff which you can talk to when you settle your bill.
It's a popular busy restaurant so best to make a booking which you can do online.
Easily our favourite restaurant in Wellington which we can not go past visiting time and time again.
The only bad thing is trying to narrow down what to order as we just want one of everything!!

• Visited October 2013
“Fantastic”
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We love Japanese food and we visited here recently on a family trip to Wellington. I can't wait for an opportunity to go back. We sat on the Japanese style tables and ordered a variety of food, some cooked at our table. It really was fantastic, tasty, fresh and well worth hunting for a car park !

Visited October 2013