“Not Nasi Lemak, but good beef steak & grilled fish with rice :-) :-)”

Istana Malaysia Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 946 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Istana Malaysia in Wellington. Istana Malaysia translates to Palace of Malaysia, where the royals dwell and are served the finest Malaysian cuisine. First established on August 31st 1994, Istana Malaysia has long been recognised by its clientele as the best Malaysian restaurant in town. We warmly welcome you to come in and sample the rich and complex flavours of Malaysian cooking. Book a table for lunch or dinner at our fully licensed restaurant and experience the real taste of Malaysia! At Istana Malaysia each meal is cooked to order using fresh and authentic ingredients and methods. All spices are directly imported from Malaysia, guaranteeing that you will receive only the finest in traditional Malaysian cuisine. Each dish offers you a choice of mild, medium or hot to accommodate your individual tastes and preferences. From spicy satay and invigorating soups to indulgent banquets, Istana Malaysia's menu reflects the full spectrum of the Malay kitchen.
Reviewed February 9, 2014

When we heard that our dinner would be in a restaurant called "Istana Malaysia", we automatically expected to get Nasi Lemak; the well-known dish of Malaysia :-) However, surprisingly when we sat down, we were asked to choose between the beef steak and a grilled fish dish :-) Uniquely, both the beef steak and grilled fish were served with steamed rice :-) The beef steak and grilled fish were really good, especially they were served altogether with a fresh salad covered with mango dressing. It was really unique and tasteful :-) We got also lots of potato chips while waiting for the main courses, served by the friendly and helpful staff .......

There are newer reviews for Istana Malaysia Restaurant

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Dined here last night - the food was fantastic, the staff were great and the prices excellent. Will be back for sure.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I live in the states and if I ever make it to NZ again, I will not leave until I have it again! No matter if I'm in Auckland or Queenstown, I will make the trip. The service was excellent, the owners so accommodating (there were 40+ of us), and the food was AH-MAZE-ING! And as if that weren't enough, it's affordable as well. If you have the chance, its a must!

1  Thank starlinkayla
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I organised a Christmas work dinner at Istana for about 60 people, and had an outstanding experience. Mary (the owner) was an absolute pleasure to deal with, and didn't mind me calling her several times changing the number of RSVPs and tailoring the set-menu to suit us. Istana offered us a delicious meal at a great price. Almost half of our booking were vegetarians, and we felt very satisfied with our options. Unfortunately Mary's supplier changed from rice flour in the samosas to wheat flour without telling her, and this mix up caused one of our group to get sick as she has Coeliac's disease. Mary was genuinely apologetic, and rung me to let me know that she was more than happy to offer to cover any medical fees. This restaurant is perfect for any large booking as they do wonderful set menus, byo and do bring the food out on time! Thanks Mary and your wonderful team.

3  Thank GiuliTucker
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I went there with my partner for an evening Christmas function. There is a good choice of drinks and the price is reasonable. I personally found the food offered in the set menu very ordinary and a little slow in coming out (noting that we were a group of about 45 people). There were some vegetarian options. However, my partner must eat gluten free (celiac) and despite checking with the restaurant twice before going, and receiving a specifically prepared entree and given specific advice on what mains she could and could not eat, she was violently sick afterwards. They do not know what Gluten Free means. I was very disappointed and I won't be going there again and I recommend celiacs avoid this establishment.