“Always good value for priority privilege members”

Chameleon Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chameleon Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 979 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, New Zealand
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The menu selection changes seasonally and offers some of the best locally sourced produce . The Chameleon menu is intelligent and original but it's also comforting and flavoursome. The wine list offers an array of taste from around the world with special focus on New Zealand ,the glass pour selection changes regularly to harmonise with our food menu. Chameleon service is welcoming and hospitable with genuine attention to every guest visiting our Restaurant. ONE HAT 2017 Cuisine New Zealand Good Food Awards
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We very much enjoyed the soft shell crab starter-difficult to find in NZ but all the food was of a high standard

ChameleonR, Manager at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Robert,
Thank you for taking the time to review Chameleon. It was great to read that you enjoyed our soft crab starter, I will pass this onto our kitchen team.
Best,

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Don't be put off by the fact this is a restaurant within the Intercontinental Hotel. Wasn't easy to find a place open in Wellington on a Sunday night; on arriving, it resembles a hotel coffee shop, but the windows do give an attractive aspect. The service from Lucile was remarkable professional - she was extremely knowledgeable about the dishes & also the wines. We liked the place so much that we returned the next night, had a different waiter, but an equally good experience in terms of both food & service. The cheeseboard was superb!

ChameleonR, Manager at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Herts Timelord,
Thank you for spending a few moments to review Chameleon. It was great to read that you enjoyed the meals and service you received. I will be sure to pass these onto the team involved, in particular, Lucile. We hope to see you back in Chameleon when you are next in Wellington.
Warm regards,

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Ate here a while ago but only just started using tripadvisor.
Came in on a thursday night after wandering around town while on holiday without a booking and were welcomed in none the less.
What a great choice we made to stop! Service was very good even though they were busy.
The food was amazing - must say some of the best lamb rack i have ever had while dining out!
Desert was also good, so full we couldn't quite finish it.
Even spotted a few All Blacks while dining ;)

Dear Becaleigh,
Thanks for taking the time to review Chameleon. Very happy to read that you enjoyed your service and meals, in particular the lamb rack. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next looking for a place to dine.
Best regards,

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Anniversary Dinner with my hubby here last night! Great service and great food and wine!! We were both very impressed with the complimentary 'happy anniversary' platter of macaroons, chocolate and berries. Yum!! When my husband made the reservation they asked if it was for a special occassion...BIG TICK! We often celebrate special occassions dining out however have never received anything like this. Very special. Thank you!!

Dear Lisa,
Thank you for your latest comments on your meal at Chameleon. I am very pleased to read that you and your husband enjoyed your anniversary celebrations with us.
We look forward to hosting many more special occasions with you.
Regards,

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Fine Dining is the essence of this place, I truly believe the food, wait staff is up there with the fine dining experiences we have had elsewhere. But the thing that was missing or should I say was there that I guess should not be was a dress code. Now I know you are thinking here are two snobs, but when you see fine dining places you tend to get dressed up, I don't mean suits but nice trousers and a shirt. But they had all sorts in, people wearing beenies, track suit pants, joggers, tee shirts etc. it actually made us feel out if place. Now having said that let's talk food, they really know how to cook and present a beautiful dish, for the first time ever I had Steak Taretare, I must admit I have seem it on many programs so I gave it ago, I always thought it was mixed with other ingredients and a Egg yolk placed on top, we'll this looked like a de-constructed version, meat on top of cucumber and the smallest egg yolk I have ever seen, was not enough to coat the top surface. But I found it very nice and finished the lot. Karen had a duck liver parfait Cyrene brûlée style, way out this one but it was very tasty. Mains I had rack of Lamb and oh my god this was unbelievable, the meat was really honoured, rare, juicy, well rested and a butter knife could have cut it !! Desserts were funky I had the Chocolates they came on a test tube rack !! The other was chocolate mouse with a raspberry and balsamic shot! It was also Devine. What a great feast, truly fine dining, but don't dress up too much.

ChameleonR, Manager at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear IslandHopperQLD,
Thank you for your feedback from your latest experience in Chameleon. I was very pleased to read that you and your partner enjoyed your meals with us, and I will be sure to pass this onto our kitchen team. Thank you also for your feedback on our dress code, I will be sure to look into for the future.
Warm regards,