“superb food”

Chameleon Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chameleon Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 960 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, New Zealand
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The menu selection changes seasonally and offers some of the best locally sourced produce . The Chameleon menu is intelligent and original but it's also comforting and flavoursome. The wine list offers an array of taste from around the world with special focus on New Zealand ,the glass pour selection changes regularly to harmonise with our food menu. Chameleon service is welcoming and hospitable with genuine attention to every guest visiting our Restaurant. ONE HAT 2017 Cuisine New Zealand Good Food Awards
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We went to dinner at the chameleon and were not disappointed with the standard of the meal. It was delicious The seafood chowder was delicious as was the duck. The service was great and th staff certainly knew the food. The only thing that was disappointing was the wine. We were told when we arrived that they had a special that night of Craggy Range Red and it could be bought by the glass. We assumed that special meant a good price and did not ask the price- it certainly was a good high price. We were charged $18 per glass for Craggy Range Te Kahu which can be bought for less that $20 a bottle. Did not think it was worth paying this much for. Really disappointed that they called this a special If you go to eat the superb food here, do ask the cost of their wines on special to make sure you get a wine worth paying for.

1  Thank Lynne030
ChameleonR, Manager at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Lynne,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Chameleon. I was happy to see that you really enjoyed the chowder and your duck main. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our kitchen and service team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chameleon in the near future.
Regards, Craig Wood, Restaurant & Bars Manager

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Suberb food, impeccable service. To be fair it was a quiet Sunday night, with only five tables occupied when we were there. But the service was the best ever, it probably even overshadowed the food, which was also could not be faulted. The seafood chowder was surprisingly not thick at all, which I was concerned about. But the flavour was absolutely delicious. My lamb rack was cooked to perfection. I would highly reccomend Chameleon, and am very pleased I took notice of the Tripadvisor reviews.

Dear CR111,
Thank you for spending a few moments to leave a comment on your most recent visit to Chameleon. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal with us, in particular the chowder and the lamb rack. I will be sure to pass on your comments to all involved. We hope to see you back in Chameleon when you next visit Wellington.
Warm regards, Craig Wood, Restaurant & Bars Manager

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We came here on the recommendations of the 'trip advisor community' and everyone is right. The service was friendly and professional. The meal was divine. Highly recommend!!

1  Thank CKA_E25

Dear CKA_E25,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Chameleon from your latest visit. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed the food and service you received from our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chameleon in the near future.
Kind regards, Craig Wood, Restaurant & Bars Manager

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We couldn't get into Logan Brown, so booked here. The restaurant was very busy due to WOW, but we had a nice table. The service was excellent. We couldn't decide what wine to have so asked our waiter. He was new but sent over his manager. The manager talked knowledgeably about the flavours of each dish and then suggested a wine, which we decided to get. The matches were superb and really complimented each dish. My partner had the goat cheese strudle which was quite sharp until we matched it with the wine, then it was divine. Then he had the duck and I had the salmon. Both were perfectly cooked and very very tasty. Instead of dessert we had the cheese board which was outstanding, very unusual cheese I wouldn't have tried myself, and a delightful poppy seed crisp instead of the boring crackers. I would definately return.

1  Thank MargoBebb
ChameleonR, Manager at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Dear MargoBebb,
We appreciate the time taken to review Chameleon on your latest dining experience. I was pleased to read that you and your partner enjoyed the service and wine matches you received whilst dining with us. I will most definitely pass on your comments to the waiting and kitchen staff involved. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chameleon when you next visit Wellington.
Warm regards,
Craig Wood
Restaurant & Bars Manager

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I came her recently for a special dinner as part of the World of Wearable arts offer. Firstly, they had us listed as 4 people when we'd booked for 5 so one of us had to squeeze on the end of the table. Secondly, the waiter, while friendly and helpful, had only just started working there and didn't really have a clue. It seemed a bit mean to unleash him on the general public for his first shift during WOW week when the place was extremely busy...

The place felt very much like a hotel restaurant (which it is) and was lacking in atmosphere.

The main problem however was that the food was disappointing. We'd been led to believe this was a "must eat" sort of place but actually we found it average at best.

I had the scallops in a bisque to start. The portion was tiny with the smallest scallops I've ever seen. My friend was not impressed that the coral was left on but this does not bother me so much. The bisque was nice enough but the whole dish was under seasoned. Other comments were that the duck salad was tasty but small and that the cheese fritters were delicious. For main, I had the salmon which came with a delicious pumpkin side and some bok choy but the salmon itself was over-cooked for my liking. Others had the open mushroom lasagne (described as "OK") and the beef (described as 6 out of 10). Desserts included a collection of chocolates that were really nicely presented but nothing special, a chocolate mousse that turned out to be a cake so couldn't be eaten by the coeliac at our table (the aforementioned waiter had said it was gluten free) and another dessert which was apparently sublime.

The following day we had a 3 course meal at Logan Brown for lunch which cost less than this meal but was incomparable.

So, if average is your thing, then this is the place for you. Perhaps, to give them their due, they were busy as it was WOW week but really good places can rise to being busy.

2  Thank nesbitevans
ChameleonR, Manager at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear nesbitevans,
Thank you for spending time to review your latest meal at Chameleon. I appreciate the feedback you provided us, and will be sure to pass this on to the parties involved. It was disappointing to read that your table's meals weren't to the high level that you were expecting, and that we like to deliver too. I can assure you that we pride ourselves on our food and service delivery at all times. Please accept our apologies that your meal wasn't to that standard. I hope that we can show you the level of our food and service when you next visit Wellington.
Warm regards,