“Great food and great service”

Chameleon Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chameleon Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 963 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, New Zealand
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The menu selection changes seasonally and offers some of the best locally sourced produce . The Chameleon menu is intelligent and original but it's also comforting and flavoursome. The wine list offers an array of taste from around the world with special focus on New Zealand ,the glass pour selection changes regularly to harmonise with our food menu. Chameleon service is welcoming and hospitable with genuine attention to every guest visiting our Restaurant. ONE HAT 2017 Cuisine New Zealand Good Food Awards
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Dined last night and had the beef- absolutely the most delicious meal we have eaten.... The waitress was so helpful and welcoming. Could not find a fault at all. Yum yum!!!

ChameleonR, Manager at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Jenona, thank you for spending some time to share your feedback on Chameleon Restaurant. I was delighted to read that you both enjoyed the beef dish, and that the service matched the meal! We look forward to welcoming you back to Chameleon when you next visit Wellington.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were staying at the Intercontinental so decided to dine here. Whilst the food is very good we felt the restaurant lacked ambience. While floor to ceiling windows can work in summer months it did make it a bit cold.
We both had the duck and it was delicious. The pumpkin and bok choy complimented it well. You don’t need sides (the portion sizes are good) however we ordered some duck fat roasted potatoes as we liked the sound of those. They were disappointing – not crunchy at all – and we didn’t eat them.
The desserts were excellent. I had the mousse with fruit and popcorn and my husband had the passion fruit slice. I loved the novelty of the popcorn and the fruit in the mousse was fresh and tasted great.
The wine list was good and the prices are what you would expect in a restaurant of this calibre.
The waiter (Phily) while a bit slow to take our drink order at first was overall very good.
The only thing that really let the restaurant down in my opinion was that I was a little cold.
If the temperature was better I would definitely go back, though I may just go back for the desserts.
We also had breakfast in the restaurant and the buffet had a lot of good choices and the service was good. Not sure why there are previous reviews suggesting the breakfast staff service isn’t good – we had no issue. Keen to return. Overall it was a great restaurant

Dear Annie, thank you for leaving us a comment on your latest dining experience in Chameleon. I was happy to read that you and your partner enjoyed desserts with us. I have passed on your feedback with regards to the temperature and duck fat potatoes. I am also glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our breakfast offerings, and will be sure to pass these comments on to the whole team. We look forward to seeing you in Chameleon again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Went to Cameleon after CityLife team recommended it as a great restaurant in close proximity to hotel. We weren't expecting much but were pleasantly surprised. We had Richard as well and he is an awesome waiter. Some work intuitively and with discretion and he's ones of those people. Awesome stuff. We started with breads (nice) and I had the ravioli (cooked well) and hubby had the scallops. Round 1 to hubby, his was devine. Main meal I had duck and hubby had venison, both excellent but I took out round 2. Poached pear for hubby and chocolate delice for me. I can't recall what was with hubby's pear but it had an "acquired" taste to it -
whereas mine was delicious so I win. Again. As we weren't boozing it that night, can't comment on the wine but the list looked just as good as anywhere else. It came to just under $170 which isn't bad by city standards. Wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Dear Becca, I appreciate the time spent to review Chameleon. I was happy to read that the recommendation to dine with us didn't disappoint. I will be sure to pass on this great feedback to Richard directly, and also to the kitchen team in regards to your meal. We hope to see you back when you next visit Wellington.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Excellent food and drink. Excellent service by our waiter/ server Jean. Had a query that was posted online and the social media team not only responded immediately but went out of their way to fix our query.

ChameleonR, Manager at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Daniel, I appreciate the time you placed in reviewing Chameleon. I was happy to read that you really enjoyed the service given by Jean. I will be sure to pass this onto him personally. I am also happy to read that our social media team were able to help resolve your query on the night. We look forward to seeing you back in Chameleon when you are next in Wellington.
Restaurant and Bars Manager

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Just got back from our evening meal at Chameleon to celebrate my Dad's birthday.
Our waiter Richard was very good - very attentive but not obtrusive. 5 out of 5 for the waiter :).
Entree and mains were excellent however we found the dessert menu 'uninspiring' so only had two courses (items were generally 'cold' items however this was the end of the autumn menu so hopefully the winter one has more warmer inclusions).
Staff was pretty good with the exception of the 'duty manager' who appeared just after the amuse bouche was cleared, and wanted to know if we were expecting any more food. And then attempted to 'clear the empty dishes' from the table (a very clean bowl for the clam-shells from the soon-to-be arriving seafood chowder). She disappeared into the kitchen after that, never to be seen again ....
Good wine menu (had our favourite, but only available by the bottle) and standard restaurant drink pricing.
Although the restaurant was maybe 30% full at most, they placed everyone by the window, and some tables are a little close together (close enough to bump chairs and hear conversations). Tables looking a little worn and chipped in places - maybe white tablecloths might help here.

And because this is a restaurant attached to a hotel there is a 1.5% surcharge for credit cards.

So would have given a 5 if there wasn't the surcharge and if the dessert menu had inspired us.

But great service and food otherwise.

Thank you for spending a few moments to review Chameleon after your most recent visit. I was very happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the service you received from Richard. I will be sure to pass this onto him personally. With regards to our dessert menu, we have just changed this, and I can happily say that we have just added a fantastic hot apple & Brazil nut crumble to our winter dessert selection. We hope to see you back in Chameleon throughout our Taste of Winter menu.
Warm regards,