“An amazing spontaneous dinner choice”

Chameleon Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chameleon Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 962 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, New Zealand
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The menu selection changes seasonally and offers some of the best locally sourced produce . The Chameleon menu is intelligent and original but it's also comforting and flavoursome. The wine list offers an array of taste from around the world with special focus on New Zealand ,the glass pour selection changes regularly to harmonise with our food menu. Chameleon service is welcoming and hospitable with genuine attention to every guest visiting our Restaurant. ONE HAT 2017 Cuisine New Zealand Good Food Awards
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Partner & I decided to go here last night for dinner as our previous plans were foiled. So we rung up last minute and went. We chose Chameleon as I missed out on their food during Toast and was still craving it. We ordered the bread to share and this came out with an amuse-bouche of some watermelon sort. Bread was fine and fresh with olive, butter and balsamic dips. For mains I had the beef tenderloin & partner had the lamb rack. I loved my dish as beef was cooked perfect medium and sides were all great as well. Partner's lamb was also delicious as had a few bites myself (but think he did that so he can have more of my beef. Lol). To quote he said "it tastes bloody good!" Our wines came out all good as well with the starters. The service was very attentive and they come up and check on you every so often to ask if everything is good and refilling the water, removing used plates etc. My only gripe perhaps was the restaurant was hardly half full and we were seated quite awkwardly in the middle of the floor quite next to the utensils station, whereby I would have preferred a more private secluded section. All in all it was a great night out. Probably not your everyday dinner choice due to the price but definitely worth it if you have a special occassion or even just wanting an amazing meal with great service! Bonus was they were in the Entertainment Book as well! :)

1  Thank enzedwelly
ChameleonR, Manager at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for providing us with feedback of your recent dining experience in Chameleon Restaurant. We were pleased to see that you and your partner enjoyed your meals and I was happy to share your comments with the team. We do hope to welcome you back to Chameleon again soon.

Kind regards,
Craig Wood
Restaurant and Bar Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the InterContinental and had dinner in The Chameleon one night and thought the food and service were really excellent. It's a bit of a causal setting for fine dining - with no tablecloths, place mats, candles... But we totally enjoyed the food, wine and service. Guests are even offered a small complimentary appetiser.

ChameleonR, Manager at Chameleon Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Chameleon Restaurant. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our food, wine options and service during your dining experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chameleon when you are next in Wellington.
Warm regards,

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Breakfast offers a wonderful selection of continental and full buffet options that really feel upmarket.

Super fresh smoked salmon, selection of amazing cheese, quince jelly, house-made bread, ramekins of egg, hollaindaise & spinach, fresh smoothies (including spirulina) and so much more.

A quick bistro lunch of Caesar salad was delightful and when I waited more than 15 minutes (meal was accidentally sent up as room service) the team were so deeply apologetic that they gifted me with hand-made chocolates.

Dinner options are creative and offered well balanced flavours and good value compared to what other luxury hotels charge for their mains.

Hi Ruby, thanks for taking the time to review Chameleon during your stay with us at the InterContinental. I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed the fresh cuisine we offer on our breakfast buffet, as well as your other dining experiences at lunch and dinner. I will be sure to pass on these messages to our kitchen and service teams.
Regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

That's all I tried just because we were out and about. But the soup of the day was excellent and breakfast was wonderful all four mornings.

Thank you for taking the time to review Chameleon Restaurant. It was great to hear that you utilized our breakfast facilities on a daily basis while staying at the hotel. I will be sure to pass this feedback on to our service team.
Warm regards,

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My partner and I dined at Chameleon in September 2012. We started with the bread, it was very delicious and came with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping. The bread tasted very home made and didn't have that light fluffy texture that you would expect from a bakery - but still was delicious. Our main courses were delivered quickly considering the amount of people in the restaurant - once again simple yet delicious. It was very nice to get a 'decent' sized meal. Usually you would expect a tiny main and still be hungry, but our hunger was definetly satisfied.
If I could give any advice to futue diners it would definetly have to be wear your absolute best clothing.
My partner didn't 'fit' the dress code of a suit shirt and tie. We felt underdressed and were seated in an 'away from the crowd' area.

But on the whole, a lovely dining experience.

1  Thank Sammie1991pn

Thanks for taking the time to review Chameleon Restaurant. It was fantastic to read that you and your partner enjoyed your night out with us, and that you both loved the size of our main courses. Will be great to welcome you back to dine with us in the near future.
Kind regards,