“Excellent restaurant and atmosphere”

Boulcott Street Bistro
Ranked #6 of 956 Restaurants in Wellington
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Iconic Wellington restaurant, Boulcott Street Bistro opened its doors in 1991 and over the past 20+ years has welcomed visitors and locals alike with warm hospitality, fine food cooked with care, and a well chosen wine list, all served in a relaxed atmosphere.Boulcott Street Bistro follows a benevolent tradition , proudly serving its many loyal customers a combination of innovative, modern fare, classic bistro dishes, and great wines earning the reputation as a Wellington favourite. The kitchen sources the freshest seasonal produce available, and are always happy to accommodate dietary requirements and requests.The Heritage setting of the restaurant, also known as Plimmer House, is a delightful Wellington landmark. Plimmer house is named after John Plimmer, the notable Wellingtonian who was officially bestowed the title 'Father of Wellington'. The charming inner-city Gothic cottage was originally built as a wedding gift by a local groom for his bride to be in the late 1870s and came into the possession of the Plimmer family in 1911.Bookings can be made for lunch, but no need to book for dinner as it is casual dining. To help celebrate a special occasion we can organise flowers, champagne and a delicious house-baked chocolate cake. We have set menus for 10 or more if you are organising a function. Roast dinners, a traditional favourite, are available every Sunday evening from 6.00Pm with our "Roast & Red" special, and this includes a delicious homemade dessert and a glass of red.The private dining room seating 10 - 16 for lunch or dinner is also perfect for conferences or work functions with full catering services to suit your needs
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by several people and we were not disappointed. My husband said his steak was the best he'd had in NZ. Enjoyed the ambience and had excellent service.
A bit pricey but worth it.

1  Thank Maureen M

Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I was recommended this place by quite a few people in wellington. as we arrived we sat at the bar and had a cocktail. they had a fantastic selection and great bar staff. we then went to our table which was in one of the rooms (converted house) it had a great comfortable/professional atmosphere. food was of a great quality for a bistro but perhaps more pricey than expected. entrees look beautiful but mains really deliver on flavour. Thoroughly enjoyed it all up.

2  Thank Megan A
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I went here when my family were in town, and my Mum absolutely loved the place. Beyond the food, which has been amazing every time I've visited, my parents really enjoyed the environment and ambiance.

I had Fillet Bearnaise, which is a tradition for me, and utterly delicious. My Dad had pasta, which was Linguine, and he loved the richness of the sauce. Mum had the Lamb Shank, which is another classic Boulcott dish that simply can't be beat. The wine list is extensive, and with the help of waiters, really easy to match to the menu.

As a treat on our recent visit, we had Coromandel Scallops as an entree, and a glass of Waipara Riesling. Both were delicious, the scallops were perfectly cooked and so fresh.

If you need to treat yourself to a lavish night out in Wellington in a relaxed setting, you really can't beat Boulcott Street Bistro, for me it's an institution of quality.

1  Thank Tim H
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I live in Wellington and this restaurant is one of my favourites to visit. The food is always excellent, the wine list is impressive and the service is superb. This is a good special occasion restaurant and a great place to spend an evening with good friends.

1  Thank Kowhaikiwi
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have dined at Boulcott Street Bistro many times over the years and when we booked a celbratory luncheon for our special family and friends to join us for lunh they again excelled themselves. As we live out of Wellington it's great knowing that we have a regular we can call and they are happy to meet our needs. Definitely worth a visit they have a great menu, wines are great too and service consistently good and the historic house reminds us a little of home :)

1  Thank Robyn006