“An easy mistake to make if you're staying at the Intercon”
Review of Arizona Bar

Arizona Bar
Ranked #265 of 923 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Get your American Grill on at Arizona!The perfect place for thirst-quenching drink or American Grill style cooking. Arizona is a great place to meet friends or colleagues for a casual meal, a well deserved after work drink, or even to settle in and watch a game on our bars plasma screens.
Wellington, New Zealand
“An easy mistake to make if you're staying at the Intercon”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

If you're staying next door at the Intercontinental Hotel, you could easily be lulled into a false belief that the Arizona restaurant, conveniently located just next door would be able to provide you with a tasty American style meal, but that would be a mistake. It will not.
I was staying at the Intercon, and wondered why I hadn't been to Arizona in years, and enthusiastically set out to get some takeaways. The whole experience was start to finish, a grave and expensive disappointment.
I ordered wings (which were very blah, and did not have any sauce -- I expected some ranch or blue cheese or something else American style?) a steak quesadilla -- the worst part was that the mushrooms in it were huge and relatively uncooked. It was tasteless and completely unsatisfying.
I'd also ordered a lamb salad, but frankly couldn't be bothered because what I managed to choke down of the first two items were so disappointing. I hasten to add that I paid about $50 for the experience.
The worst part was this: when they brought me my takeaways, they just plunked them on the bench. I said, may I please have a plastic carrying bag and some cutlery? They said No. They said, we don't have plastic bags and cutlery. I said, oh, but you do takeaways. They said, yes, but we don't really do plastic bags and cutlery. I said, I'm staying at the hotel next door, so I don't have anything to eat my food with. They said that they thought the hotel could probably give me a fork or something. I said that I thought that for $50 they could give me a fork themselves. They said that they don't really do takeaways.
So there you go. Just in case you yourself were thinking about going to Arizona, I'd just strongly encourage you to go to one of the many actual fine eateries in the neighbourhood instead. For example, the Crab Shack is on the waterfront, and it's yummy. Pravda on Willis St/Customhouse Quay? Also yummy. Just don't go to Arizona. Thanks.

• Visited July 2013
ArizonaNZ, Manager at Arizona Bar, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear vad1011, I was disappointed to hear of the experience on your last visit to Arizona. I would love the opportunity to talk about this in further detail. Would you be kind enough to write me an email with your contact details to cu@arizona.co.nz.

Regards,
Chris Sharp,
Arizona Manager

Auckland
“It's ok”
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Went here for brunch we were one of only three tables there, coffee took far too long to arrive. The food was nice but some parts of the meal were cold. Staff were nice. You can get a better brunch for much cheaper elsewhere in cbd.

• Visited July 2012
ArizonaNZ, Manager at Arizona Bar, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Jea H, thank you for taking the time to review Arizona when you last visited us. I was disappointed to read that our coffee and food delivery didn't match your expectations. I will be sure to pass this feedback onto the team, and can assure you that we will endeavour to improve from here. We hope to see you back in Arizona when you next visit Wellington.

Warm regards,
Chris Sharp
Assistant Arizona Manager
wollongong
“Wow! Great Mexican feast!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had dinner in Arizona during my overnight stay at Intercontinental Wellington. What a great Mexican restaurant! Authentic food, very well presented and tasted soo good. The restaurant ambience was great, very Tex Mex, with very friendly staff who were well versed with the menu. Nice selection of wines and the menu prices are very affordable. I highly recommend the Nachos. I usually find nachos boring when dining in mexican restaurants, however this was a stand out!
Next time I visit Wellington, I will be visiting Arizona for dinner!

Visited May 2013
ArizonaNZ, Manager at Arizona Bar, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear lynwollongong,

It was very nice to read your recent review on Arizona, thank you. Our chef's take a lot of pride in the authenticity of their Mexican recipes and they will be happy to hear that you enjoyed how authentic your meals tasted, especially the way they have thought outside the square with the Nachos, both in taste and presentation. It is also fantastic to hear that you received great service on the evening. These comments will be passed on to my team to ensure this standard of food and service continues at a high quality level. Please contact us directly when you return to Wellington, we would love to have you back.
Gold Coast
“Great for a quick beer and snack”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Had a quick dinner and drink before heading to the Westpac stadium for the footy, the menu isn't great but the type of food and alcohol offered is good pre footy fare

Visited May 2013
ArizonaNZ, General Manager at Arizona Bar, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Seawolfau,
Thank you for your recent review of Arizona. Our aim on nights such as game nights is to provide the best food and drink available in the quickest possible time to ensure everyone is happy and gets to their event on time. Next time you are in Wellington, we would love for you to visit Arizona again to enjoy our full menu selection.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Over priced”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had breakfast and a takeaway dinner. The breakfast was served warmed and got colder as our table was near the window under the aircon, cost $48

Dinner was Chicken wings and a Quesadilla, we ordered 2 beers while we waited. The total cost was $60. The chicken wings were only quarter the size of an actual chicken wing.

This place is very expensive, I do not recommend this place to anyone on a budget.

• Visited May 2013
ArizonaNZ, Manager at Arizona Bar, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Ron T, thanks for taking the time to review Arizona. Rest assured we have taken your feedback on-board, and hope you would offer us the opportunity to welcome you back to Arizona when you are next in the city.

Regards,