“Hands down, one of the best eats in Wellington”
Review of Restaurant 88

Restaurant 88
Ranked #59 of 979 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Restaurant 88's stylish and modern interior is sure to impress. Home of provincial Vietnamese dining, Restaurant 88 introduces many diverse flavours of Vietnam to Wellingtonians, and visitors, as well as offering great service, and a lovely atmosphere. Fully licensed and open 6 days, you can enjoy lunch or dinner at one of Wellington's best-kept secrets. With an open mind and an empty stomach, let the journey begin!
Reviewed August 6, 2013

In the last 3 months I've been here 4 times and not once can I fault the food or the service, everything, from the food, to the atmosphere, to the setting and to the service have been excellent. The food is extremely flavoursome with the perfect balance of Southeast Asian flavours, it's delicious. So far I've had the lemongrass chicken, the shaking beef, the beef salad, the pho bo, the marinated chops and all of which were spectacular - Try them all if you ever get the opportunity. My favourite though, would have to be the beef salad.

On my last visit I tried a cocktail, the Saigon Sunset - that was delicious. If you're a lover passionfruit, I definitely recommend this.

The venue is very central, so if you're looking to head to town or to the movies after dinner this is the perfect place. The number of parks around this area lessens after 6.30 - 7 pm most evenings so it's best to get in quick. Also, you must book in before 7pm because it can get quite busy.

Lunch is a cheaper option if the dinner prices are too high but I always say, quality over quantity so go crazy!

Enjoy to those who haven't been and thank you Restaurant 88 for keeping your customers happy.

1  Thank Arihia M

Reviewed August 3, 2013

After reading reviews online I decided to take my partner here for Date Night. He had reservations after having had gone there 10ish years ago and didnt have fond memories. However, what we had sure changed his mind! We didnt book and went at 7ish on a Saturday night and we managed to get a table although we probably would book next time. We ordered the rice paper rolls and ribs for entree and we shared them. The rice paper rolls were fresh and the dipping sauce was just yummy. Im not a big ribs fan but these were delicious and left us curious about how good the mains would be. We had a mixed platter and a lemongrass chicken. Both were good sized portions ( we left really full) with a really beautiful salad of rice noodles, lettuce and yum bits and pieces. The service was great, they refilled my water almost instantly when I had finished it and were most attentive. From a person who was determined it wouldnt be nice, my partner definitely changed his mind and was full and happy when we left. We will be back and will be recommending to others for the meals and the service.

2  Thank Aimz2416
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Loved the food here, Especially the shaking beef. The apertisers were all really good and great to share a few of them rather than order mains.

1  Thank Chomper07
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Dined here as a couple on a Friday night. We made a booking at 5:30 and lucky that we did. By 8pm the place was full.
We ordered an entree to share which was the sugar cane covered with prawn meat. This was delicious. It came with salad, rice noodles and a lovely dipping sauce.
Dinner we both choose the lemon grass chicken. It was very juicy as the chicken was cooked with the skin left on. Very tasty healthy meal also served with rice noodles, salad, dipping sauce.

Finished off with a palm sugar syrup creme caramel. This was divine. It came with kiwifruit and orange - not sure if I liked the kiwi and orange with the creme caramel.

Lastly, the atmosphere and our waiter was brilliant. I was a bit worried when at the beginning of the night we never got a bottle of water - often at restaurants when water fill is all on the waiter I have been left very very thirsty. This water was straight over to our table as soon as the glass was near the bottom. 5 star service in my opinion.

Overall, a wonderful experience. I have never been to Vietnam before and dining here makes me want to book a holiday. Recommend to everyone.

We have an entertainment book (charity book that can be purchased from schools etc) The deal was buy one main get one free. So, our total for all this food and a beer came to $60. A very cheap night out.

1  Thank Sammie1991pn
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Went here on our recent trip to Wellington. Well organised restaurant and staff. Everything effecient from ordering our meals to paying the bill. We all tried different dishes and all had lovely favours.

1  Thank michele m