“Vietnamese Cuisine at its best”
Review of Restaurant 88

Restaurant 88
Ranked #45 of 1,007 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant 88's stylish and modern interior is sure to impress. Home of provincial Vietnamese dining, Restaurant 88 introduces many diverse flavours of Vietnam to Wellingtonians, and visitors, as well as offering great service, and a lovely atmosphere. Fully licensed and open 6 days, you can enjoy lunch or dinner at one of Wellington's best-kept secrets. With an open mind and an empty stomach, let the journey begin!
Reviewed January 6, 2013

For the last week my youngest son, an indigent university student and I have dined each night in Wellington city, my wife (his mother) being on vacation in Texas. I pay the bill in reward for him helping me with hard manual labour in the garden, he chooses the restaurant.

This has been a revelation to me - we have been to places that I would not normally pass through the door of, all excellent in their own way, but Restaurant 88 was altogether different and stars at the top of the week's list. It was obviously going to be rather above the son's usual student price-range, but we had a 50% off voucher that would work the total cost down, so through the door we went.

From the moment we entered until we reluctantly left, our experience was superb. Very attentive but non-obtrusive service, always at the moment when you almost wanted something, but hadn't quite realised it yet.

The food matched the service. An excellent menu to choose from and our two choices were superb. Delightful in appearance, aroma and taste. Just exquisite.

How good? Truly? Well - we didn't use the voucher. We thought it would be better to save it and use it when my wife is home again and surprise her with an unexpected and welcome treat.

Bookings essential. We got in the door only because it was immediately after Christmas/New Year, so the city was empty. Not good for younger children unless they too want to focus on cuisine to be appreciated.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This little hidden gem is a must if you love Thai food food was large portions and fresh and yummy the decor is beautiful and the service is excellent definitely value for money we had lunch on our anniversary and we will be back thanks :)

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Restaurant 88 is a vibrant Vietnamese restaurant in what is becoming a busy part of Wellington. The food is great, really fresh flavours and taste. There is a good selection to meet most taste buds and the portion size is good. The decor is pleasant but have to say its quite a noisy restaurant, even my teenage kids wanted to leave because of the noise! The staff are professional, friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Really worth eating here.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

The food lives up to its reputation. I booked for 10 1 week in advance and followed up with an email. Got there, no booking. This was was very disappointing as this was a significant reunion with 10 friends. Luke, find a full proof booking system so you don't have to concern yourself with this and you can take time out with your new baby.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

88 does Vietnamese extremely well! I have yet to have a bad dish here. Attention to detail, including presentation, taste and service combine to create a total dining experience well worth trying.
Try the cocnut calimari and the fresh Vietnamese rice springrolls!