Rydges Wellington
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
Quest on Johnston(Wellington)
View Hotel
Park Hotel Lambton Quay(Wellington)
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
Aitken on Mulgrave(Wellington)
  • Bar/Lounge
Novotel Wellington(Wellington)
  • Room Service
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor(Wellington)
2,066 results
All reviewsportlander restaurantharbour viewrailway stationbuffet breakfastsmall kitchenettevalet parkingroom servicegood sizethe air conditioningwestpac stadiumcomfortable bedpillow menumini barsouth islandnice roomnew zealandper day
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in spring (November) for two days, both sunny days. When we entered our room in the evening (around 5-6pm), it was like sauna! Hot as hell! This is because of the big windows, and tiny A/C. A/C cannot keep up with the heat, so you have to wait the sunset. Windows cannot be opened. So if you want to stay here on a sunny day, choose a room that is not looking at the west side.

Two other things we did not like about this hotel:

1) Parking. It has a huge parking garage door, but it is closed. Instead you have to pay $30 for valet parking. I don't know why they closed it. I'm not 100% sure but when I booked this hotel in early November, I remember like parking was free on its web site.

2) It is definitely NOT a good idea to put the bathtub mat to the same place where you put the towels! One is associated with cleanness, the other is associated with the opposite!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2013

The room was nice, we were on the 7th floor, over the street so we could hear street noise. The rooms opposite and adjacent had balconies, and I think people were smoking on them. Unfortunately, due to the air flow, the smoke smell ended up filling the hallways. We stayed for just one night. The staff was pleasant. The bed was very comfortable. I think we may have been in a handicapped accessible room (we did not request one), as the shower was just in the corner of the bathroom, with only a flimsy curtain to try and keep the rest of the room dry. The floor became very wet and slippery.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I'm never a big fan of city hotels, being somewhat impersonal. This had that downside, but ticked every box in what you'd want in a hotel. Comfy room, pool, gym (tiny, but they gave us a pass to a really good gym down the road which was excellent). They also looked after our luggage as we went away for a few days and then returned.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Arrived from South Island, felt welcomed and very pleased with location, room and facilities.
Decided to eat in restaurant - mistake! I object to feeling 'ripped off'. We were charged $8/£4 for water we never asked for - every other restaurant we visited offered it free as a matter of course.
Quite happy with menu, little pricey but we knew that. Had to wait over an hour and 15 minutes after ordering with little update from staff. Steaks were fine in flavour although the medium steak was definitely rare. Hatchback hedgehog potatoes were hard so, overall, were disappointed. Pretentious would define the restaurant.
Most people who stay at Rydges are on business or stay for very short time but should be made to feel valued not 'ripped off'. I know many city centre hotels are the same as this one but customer satisfaction should be top of the list - it wasn't. My comments at reception on departure were just greeted with a shrug.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have been staying here for work on and off for several weeks, and have been impressed by the immaculately clean rooms and the consistently good service. The bathrooms are a generous size, and the rooms are well laid out. The front desk staff are always extremely professional and make you feel that nothing is too much trouble.
I will be back and forth to Wellington for several more months, and won't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business