Rydges Wellington
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$106
$116
$92
Official Site
  • Restaurant
The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$57
$47
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$66
$61
  • Room Service
2,089 results
All reviewsportlander restaurantharbour viewrailway stationbuffet breakfastsmall kitchenettevalet parkingroom servicegood sizethe air conditioningwestpac stadiumcomfortable bedpillow menumini barsouth islandnice roomnew zealandper day
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The service at Rydges is always fantastic, you really do feel like you are famous when you walk in there. The room we had over looked the harbor and was lovely, it was spotless when we walked in but what must have been the drain or a previous guest smoking made the room smell a little badly. we were there for only one night so didn't see the point of changing rooms. Unfortunately the rooms or roof/floor was pretty thin, sounded like we had elephants above us from 6am in a Sunday morning which woke us up.
My flight was cancelled back to Auckland the following night and when I rang the Rydges they were fantastic, I asked for a different room from the night before, told them of my issues with that and it was perfect!. I had joined their members club and can definitely recommend it, I will stay here again every time I come to town.

Room Tip: avoid room 1302
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stegg
Kieran W, Head of Customer Relations at Rydges Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Hello. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on your stay with us. Our high level of customer service is something we pride ourselves on and it is fantastic to read that you felt like you were famous walking in. This is exactly the reaction we want to see from all of our guests. I am sorry that there was an issue with smell and noise from your room. This is not acceptable and we would have been more than happy to move your room. I am glad that on the second night you were able to speak to somebody about your concerns and had your room moved. We look forward to seeing you again next time. Safe travels.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stay at the RYDGES Wgtn twice a month for work. The service is variable - sometimes you get treated well & other times you might as well be a stranger.

The last time I stayed, I arrived late at night after departing AKL early in the morning & spending the day in CHCH.

It was a cold day & I was unwell. The room was freezing & the heater didn't work. After nearly 40min of faffing around & not being able to fix it, they finally upgraded me to room with a working heater, but only after the duty manager intervened.

A disappointing experience.

• Stayed: July 2013
Kieran W, Head of Customer Relations at Rydges Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Hello. Thank you for sharing your feedback back with us. The term “variable service” is not something we like to hear; we strive for consistent excellent service, every time. If this is not what you received on your most recent stay then I do apologize for this. In regard to the air conditioning unit in your room, I am sorry it was not in working order, especially when you were feeling unwell. Please contact me at Kieran_wright@rydges.com so, in future, I can ensure that you are placed in a room with an air-conditioning unit that has been checked by a member of staff to ensure it is in perfect working order. It is also worth mentioning that we are currently looking at solutions to improve/replace the units. I have passed all your comments onto the Front Office Manager and the rest of the management team so they can be aware of the concerns you raised. We do hope this experience has not put you off staying with us again. We hope to see you back sometime in the near future.
Kieran Wright.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Convenient location, friendly staff and nice food/restaurant. Bed was super comfortable and the room was warm without being stuffy. Only negative was the swipe cards for the lift/room were a bit temperamental.

Room Tip: One side has sea view. Other sides have city view. Not noisy at all.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Kieran W, Head of Customer Relations at Rydges Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the service and facilities to be up to standard. In regard to the lift card system, this is a security measure that we must have in place to be able to provide a secure hotel for all our guests. However, we do agree with you that this system could be improved and so we are currently looking into different options to make the process easier.
Kind regards,

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I recently stayed here for two nights on business. The location is excellant if you are working with the government sector. It is also very close to the railway station (where there is a very convenient supermarket). I have stayed in this hotel several times since it was built about 8 years ago. About 3 years ago, I tired of it and went elsewhere but I went back again this time because of the convenient location and to see if it had improved.

The rooms are standard international hotel style with a couple of twists. The basics are all good - a comfortable bed, a good sized bathroom and a flat screen TV (albeit a rather small one). The room and the linen were clean. The public areas are pleasant and comfortable enough.

Reception was a mixed experience. When I arrived, the clerk was efficient but sarcastic. When I checked out, the experience was very quick and pleasant.

There are a few annoying features. There are two hotplates and a microwave in the rooms. When the hotel was a Holiday Inn, they supplied pots and cooking utensils. Now that it is a Rydges hotel, they have all been taken out and you have to ask for them to be provided if you want them. The same applies to the pillows. There is a "pillow menu" in the room but only two pillows. If you want any more or any of the options on the menu, you must ring and have them brought to you. There is no newspaper or option to have a newspaper.

The biggest negative factor by far is the heating and ventilation. Rather than the usual ducted central heating and ventilation, each room has its own heat pump. These are large, old-style floor mounted through-the-wall type units. They reminded me of what you used to see in cheaper US motels in the 80s. While they are quite effective at heating or cooling, they are very noisy. Even on the lowest fan setting, they are loud. I was unable to sleep with it on and, as it was winter, woke up cold during the night. I appreciate that the hotel was built this way and it would be difficult to switch to a conventional system but it would be much better if they replaced these noisy old units with modern quiet ones.

The other downside is the price. When it first opened, the pricing was very competitive. It is now towards the top of the range for the facilities offered. This was aggravated by the fact that they charged me an extra $9 to pay by credit card.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate you writing such a detailed review for us, as this has allowed our management and maintenance teams to comprehensively understand all of the concerns and issues you had with your stay. It is, however, disappointing to read that you found so many downsides to your time with us. This is not at all reflective of the usual types of comments we hear about our staff and facilities. With regard to the issue of the room being ill-equipped, most of our guests do not require a full set of kitchen utensils so we prefer to provide these when requested; a porter can deliver these to your room very promptly. The same is for pillows or newspapers, we are more than happy to bring more pillows to your room if you feel you require them and deliver a newspaper to your door each morning. I am sorry that you found our air conditioning units to be cumbersome to use. In future, I can ensure that you are placed in a room that has an air-conditioning unit that has been checked by a member of staff to ensure it is in perfect working order. These units should not make so much noise that it makes it difficult to sleep. Please contact me at Kieran_wright@rydges.com so I can do this. It is also worth mentioning that we are currently in the process of looking at solutions to improve/replaces these units. We hope we can have another chance to show you the true quality and standard of Rydges Wellington. Thank you.
Kind regards,
Kieran Wright.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here over the weekend with my boys, the room was beautiful, the children play area kept the boys entertained, and the food was amazing. We had a nice time and the staff were helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Kieran W, Head of Customer Relations at Rydges Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Hello. Thank you for your review. It is great to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. The kids’ room is perfect for keeping the kids entertained and allowing parents some space. We look forward to having you back again in the future.