“Great Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Sydney, Australia
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

A great hotel, with fantastic staff and facilities. Prefect base for a stay in wellington. Great location. Can't fault this place. Nice breakfast and dinner was amazing. Really close to Westpac Stadium and City Center. Leisure facilities are nice also.

• Stayed March 2013
ChelseaLaingWLG, Head of Customer Relations at Rydges Wellington, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks for your stellar review of your stay with us! I agree, Rydges is a perfect base in New Zealand’s capital. Great to hear of your experiences at Portlander, look forward to having you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We booked for 2 nights as the Rydges seemed to have the best deal over the Easter weekend. The hotel was clean, room as expected for a deal- back of the hotel no view!! Staff good. We ordered room service and food was excellent. Next day we had tapas for a snack at the restaurant- beautiful calamari and sliders. However some errors happened- room seemed to be cleaned but they must have been disturbed as we has no towels whatsoever so call to reception and a wait of 20mins. Also we had a 2 for 1 breakfast offer as many guests had- the hotel had not taken this into account and the place looked like the apocalypse had happened! No food left,tables with uncleared plates, mess and lots of staff that had perfected the art of looking busy but doing bugger all in reality!! Shame because it gives the wrong impression of the chef. Perhaps staff training would be good.

• Stayed March 2013
ChelseaLaingWLG, Head of Customer Relations at Rydges Wellington, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hi there,
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us, after reading your review I believe that overall your experience at Rydges Wellington was excellent, apart from one aspect, which was breakfast on the Sunday morning of Easter weekend. Let’s get straight to the point, the standard you received at breakfast is completely unacceptable and an anomaly here at the hotel. The team are well aware of what caused these issues and contingencies are in place to ensure this will be a one off. Simon White, the General Manager here at Rydges Wellington has contacted you both by phone and email to further discuss your experience here at the hotel, also, here is my contact email if you wish to contact me chelsea_laing@rydges.com. I hope that we can win you back by proving what Rydges Wellington really has to offer.

Chelsea
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice clean hotel with good facilities. Rooms are a decent size and the location is great for the train station, stadium and the bars and restaurants situated on the waterfront. Location is not so good for the bars, clubs and restaurants in the Courtney Place and Cuba Mall area. If you order room service I recommend the Beef Spare Ribs they were excellent as was the Tiramisu. The meal was delivered in good time but the fries were a little cold. The air conditioning unit in the room was very loud even on the 'night' setting so you may need to turn it off which can mean an uncomfortable sleep. Also the hotel is situated near an ambulance station so you may get sirens at night.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Scrivey
Hi there,
Thanks for your review of your stay with us. Great to hear of your room service recommendation – those spare ribs are definitely a favourite on the menu! Will pass on your feedback regarding the cold fries to the Food and Beverage Team. If you could please email me on chelsea_laing@rydges.com the details of your stay including the room number and the dates you stayed, I’ll ensure Maintenance check out the air-conditioning machine.
MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I booked in on Good Friday after travelling from Tauranga on the Inter City Bus. (Seniors fare $26 NZ each) We had not booked ahead and after such a long Bus trip ( 9 hours) we wanted a Hotel that was comfortable ,not overly expensive and handy to Wellington Railway Station as we were catching the inter island Ferry to Picton the next morning. We chose Rydges as it fitted most of these requirements and it is only a very short walk from the Station . We paid NZ$169 .00 for room only although you can be lucky and find a deal slightly cheaper on wotif.com. The room we had was on the 7th floor and was as good as you would get in a 5star hotel. Well equipped spacious and clean. We decided to eat in house as it was rather windy outside (not unusual for Wellington) and many of the nearby restaurants along the waterfront were closed ( Good Friday). Well it may have been our lucky day as the food we ordered was exceptional to say the least . We had an entree which included Tua Tua a local seafood.Similar to abalone and decorated with various condiments . For mains my wife chose Blue Cod a local fish which was garnished with a parsnip purée and I had a small grain feed Rump steak with garlic butter sauce French fries , a rocket salad with parmesan cheese and balsamic vinegar . This was one of the best meals I have had in a restaurant for many a year simple,well cooked and nourishing unless you are really hungry you won't need to order a larger one. We also had a glass of Wine each total Bill NZ$115 Perhaps the entree we could have done without however overall we were very satisfied. One of the downers is the WiFi is only free for 20 minutes which I can assure you goes real quick

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there,
Thank you for taking the time to write an in-depth review on your stay with us, I am sure many a readers will love the recommendations you have offered! Our location is perfect being the closest hotel to both the train station and the ferry terminals. Well, what a glowing review of your experience at Portlander, sounds like you got to taste exactly what the Bar & Grill is known for, local, fresh produce! Hope to see you back at the hotel, and restaurant in the not too distant future.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Rydges whilst on a business trip to Wellington and from my experience Faulty Towers comes to mind. To explain this it's probably easier to explain the series of events. As a frequent business traveller I have a standard room profile of king size bed, high floor and away from the lift. On the Rydges had managed to place me a in a twin room one the lowest floor directly opposite the life. Having waited for a few hours (the restaurant is excellent) they did at least manage to move me to a high floor. Having spent the next day looking around Wellington my colleague and I returned to the hotel only for my colleague to find his room door open. Having checked to access it appears that this occurred what the mini bar was check. The next day we went to work and on returning my colleagues door was open again. At the same time he received a knock on the door and the maid handed him a note and some money both of which had been left on his desk in the morning. In addition his turn down service simply place all the cushions on the floor. The next day it was my turn and on returning to my room I found someone else's washing placed on the bed. One final bugbear was the fact that the desk in my room had dried sauce covering it that was never cleaned even though I mentioned it to the reception and the maid directly.

Having said all of that if you have a sense of humour then the rooms are generally well appointed and mostly clean but regardless of that the restaurant is exceptional and even if you choose to stay in an alternative hotel in Wellington you should eat at the Rydges restaurant Portlander Dinner / Bar

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your review – it appears we have certainly missed the mark for you on this stay. I would really like to address with you first hand the issues you have raised. Can you please email me directly on Chelsea_laing@rydges.com and we can look into this further. I believe you haven’t experienced a true reflection of the quality of our product and service and we would like to put this right. Many thanks, Chelsea.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We did not actually stay here but found the Reception staff to be supremely helpful. We needed 3 nights accommodation at short notice however only 1 night was available at Rydges. Melissa (I think that's her name) was extraordinarily patient and helpful and for 20 minutes or so went online and rang around and found a place for us elsewhere which proved to be very satisfactory (Quest on Lambton - see my review).

We got chatting a day or two later to a couple that were staying at Rydges and they were very happy with the Hotel. So, on that basis, I can recommend Rydges.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this feedback on your experience with dealing with Melissa! Great to hear we were able to help to find you alternative accommodation during such a busy time in Wellington. When you return, ensure you stay with us, be sure to check out rydges.com/wellington for our latest accommodation offerings and packages. Thanks for your recommendation.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Rydges for 2 nights whilst in Wellington for a reunion. I found a good deal on their website, it is free to become a Priority Guest Rewards member, which included welcome drinks and breakfast. The breakfast buffet is quite comprehensive with something for everyone. They also have 20mins free wifi daily.

The room, deluxe king, was fine. It had everything we needed and was clean with a nice view of the harbour. We rang in the morning of departure and asked for a late check out. This was granted easily with no extra payment for 2 extra hours. The staff were very accommodating, also ordering taxis for us and storing our bags.

I would definitely stay here again. Close to Lambton Quay shopping and near some good resaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ChelseaLaingWLG, Head of Customer Relations at Rydges Wellington, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank’s for your awesome review. I’m so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It really seems you made the most of everything Rydges Wellington has to offer, which I love to hear! Our staff always do everything they can to make sure your stay is as pleasant and relaxing as possible and I’m not surprised to hear they did not disappoint on this. The hotel’s proximity to shopping and fine dining is one of our key attributes and I’m glad you got to experience this. We look forward to seeing you again and next time don’t forget to try our own restaurant; Portlander!
Chelsea