I stayed here for 2 nights. This is the review:
1. Rooms: Good, comfortable, spacious, ample bathroom, good kitchenette facilities, nice bedding, and beds. Decent flat screen and enough cable channels.
2. Location: more suitable for business than tourism. Walking distance to Parliament, Courts, Lambton Quay, and all key administrative buildings in Wellington. So if you are in Wellington on business it is perfect. If you are a plain tourist, it will still do for you as Wellington is a very small city and you can walk the whole CBD and back in 30 minutes. You are just 5 minutes from the waterfront and its restaurants. The hotel proper is on Featherston street which is also a good place to be (but be aware that after 5 pm except Courtney Place Wellington is a desolated place, there is hardly any escape from that in bucolic Wellington).
3. Facilities: Gym and lap pool are pretty modest. But they are usable if necessary.
4. Hidden charges: There is NO justification for the hotel to charge you $20 for 24 hour internet (or $6 for a single hour). Business travelers (and tourists too) need internet access as much as water or a bathroom. So this abusive confiscatory charge is a hidden cost which you will have no choice but to pay increasing your room costs considerably. Like Australian hotels (and unlike most hotels in Europe, Asia, and North and South America) NZ hotels resort to price gouging for internet services. If a Paris hotel doesn't charge it, a Wellington shouldn't either. So try to negotiate a better internet rate before booking or go elsewhere where they do. Perhaps the Rydges manager will learn that overcharging customers for internet is bad business and certainly bad manners. If they don't charge you for watching TV, why should they charge you other than the basic cost of internet service?
Another hidden charge is valet parking. There is no option but valet parking or nothing. $30 a night for Wellington is seriously abusive and ridiculous and you can get better prices by yourself outside the hotel (I parked at $3 a night a couple of blocks from the hotel) Again, the Rydges manager should learn that parking is a service not a profit centre when it comes to accommodating customers that arrive by car. $30 is scandalous in a city like Wellington.
So the hotel is good, and appropriate, but if you have a car and/or need to use the internet try to get a better deal elsewhere or you will be looking at another $50 a day to your bill.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rydges Wellington is located on downtown Featherston Street with a unique combination of harbour views and city outlooks. Ideally situated in New Zealand's capital city, Rydges Wellington is within close distance to the Westpac Stadium, Queens Wharf, Wellington Railway Station, both the Interislander and Bluebridge Ferry terminals and Lambton Quay for shopping.This 4+ Star hotel offers 280 accommodation rooms for business and leisure guests with the benefits of modern facilities including wireless internet throughout, iPads for guests and fantastic leisure facilities. All rooms feature flat screen televisions, free unlimited Wi-Fi, iPod docking stations and kitchenettes. There are 19 apartment style suites, perfect for your long stay requirements with washer and drier facilities available. Rydges Wellington is your landmark hotel in the Capital. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Rydges Wellington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Wellington Hotel Wellington
- Holiday Inn Wellington
- Wellington Holiday Inn