Rydges Wellington
Novotel Wellington(Wellington)
$116
$106
  • Room Service
Best Western Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$102
$96
$146
  • Restaurant
The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$92
$89
$76
Priceline
2,066 results
All reviewsportlander restaurantharbour viewrailway stationbuffet breakfastsmall kitchenettevalet parkingroom servicegood sizethe air conditioningwestpac stadiumcomfortable bedpillow menumini barsouth islandnice roomnew zealandper day
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I had a great stay however brief at this hotel. We arrived late and were pleasantly surprised when the check in person said she was getting worried about us since we arrived so late. I forgot that I booked a cheese plate upon arrival to be in our room which was excellent for a late night snack since we took the late fairy over from Picton.

The hotel room was very clean, decorated modernly, and fully equipped to enjoy a glass of wine before bed. We also ordered breakfast for two at the last minute and were impressed with how quickly it arrived to our room and how tasty it was. A quick call to the concierge also had a car waiting to take us to the airport.

Great hotel and great service!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
ChelseaLaingWLG, Head of Customer Relations at Rydges Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thanks for your review on your short and sweet stay with us here in the capital, the team on reception are fantastic, and do the best at looking after our guests. Great pictures, thanks for sharing them! Hope to see you again soon, be sure to spend longer with us next time!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure to have a 2 night stay in this Hotel early February. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The room was quite large, clean and very comfortable with lovely views of the harbour.

The Hotel is ideally situated for visiting the City and the Te Papa museum. There was always a number of Taxis out front if you needed one.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are airy and provide good views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for your review, great to hear you enjoyed the spectacular views of the harbour, many guests tell us they sleep with the blinds open to take in the view from bed. Location is fantastic, we are always on hand to recommend and book local attractions for you and organise transport.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We booked a Deluxe King Harbour View room for two nights on a Priority Guest Rewards Member Deal plus breakfast. Even at the lower price we found it an average place to stay, and the least impressive of all our accommodation over an 11-night tour of the North Island. That was disappointing since those nights were our last two nights and we weren't staying 5-star on the way around. On the upside the location is very convenient to most of the attractions and sights around town and the staff were helpful in guiding us to places of interest. On the downside, even with a Deluxe King room on the top Executive-level floor with a good view, we found the room quite small and it was the only place we stayed that did not even have separate chairs or a table to sit at to admire the view. There was no space for them, and we had to sit or lie on the bed even to have a drink or a cup of tea, which we thought was poor for a Deluxe Executive-floor room. The only chair available was a desk chair which we had to use to put one of our two bags on to get it out of the road with the minimal floor space. The odd thing was that the room had a full kitchen, complete with microwave and stove-top, and utensils and settings for two, that probably don't get used and there would be no place to sit and eat anything anyway, other than at the desk and you would have to eat in shifts. Quite illogical. The room had a balcony but you could hardly have the door or curtains open because you could hear every conversation and noise from the other very-close-by balconies who had their doors open, including a loud argument coming from the next room. Not unexpectedly, being very convenient to the waterfront also carries a lot of city noise from the main road running below, and traffic sounds and even voices from the street easily penetrated unless the balcony door was fully closed. We did have it open to let some air in, since we found the air-con a bit old and rattly. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom large, but the rubber safety mat for the in-bath shower had mould all over the underneath which we thought was poor. The desk lamp in the room had a broken strut which again we did not think was up to scratch for an Executive level room, because it was quite obviously crooked and should have been replaced. Attention to normal detail seemed lacking. Although the hotel was non-smoking it was obvious from the hallway that someone in a room on that floor had been smoking, but we guess not all guests follow the rules. Still, it was unexpected and disappointing. Breakfast was the least impressive of all our stays. Day 1 we came down at 9am, but most of the 'hot' dishes were at best lukewarm, some were simply cold. Neither of us could eat what we had selected, and we had to set it aside and ask for a fresh omelette which was quickly prepared, but huge! The next day we limited our breakfast selection because the hot dishes again seemed little better than lukewarm. On that day my wife even found a long hair embedded in one of the pastries! Not the hotel's fault, and the restaurant manager was very apologetic, but still, it was disappointing. The hotel did the intended job of giving us a place to stay quite conveniently in very interesting and eclectic Wellington, but if going back, we would be inclined to try somewhere else first.

Room Tip: Getr a room on the Queen's Wharf end of the building, otherwise if you have a view, it might be mostly of the fairly ugly NZ Post building right next door.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, on what sounds to be a fantastic trip around the North Island. I hope you had enough time to squeeze in all you had planned on doing and seeing. Your feedback and suggestions have been well received here at the hotel, and I would like to inform you of our plans to refurbish the hotel and the guest accommodation rooms in 2014/2015. In regards to your comments about breakfast, our portion sizes are kept small and replenished on a frequent basis to avoid lukewarm situations from occurring. It seems this time we have let you down, I have followed this up with the Food and Beverage Manager. I would love for you to give us another try, we are a great hotel in the Coolest Little Capital. If you would like to discuss any of the above further, please do not hesitate to email me chelsea_laing@rydges.com

Head of Customer Relations
Rydges Wellington

Reviewed February 8, 2013

The curtains and bedspread was red. Reminded me of a brothel. Other than that it was avery nice room with nice furniture with a refrigerator. Overall it was a good hotel with a good restaurant. Decent place to stay for one night and near the train and ferry station.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for your feedback, great to hear you enjoyed your stay and visit to Portlander our in house restaurant. We are well located to transportation in and out of this cool capital.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at Rydges for one night while passing through Wellington. I wasn't 'blown away' exactly, but the stay was perfectly fine and comfortable and in general I would have no hesitation with staying again.

Pros
They were lovely about letting me extend check-out by an hour, and said yes to that request without hesitation. That was awesome.
The receptionist who checked me in was 'professionally cool', but maybe she was having a busy afternoon as she was much friendlier when I saw her the next morning. (Every other staff member I encountered was warm and friendly and very helpful).
My room was smallish but totally comfortable and well equipped. I liked the decor. The bed was supremely comfy and I had a great sleep. Quiet (except air con - see below).
The location was very good - central and easy to find, walking distance to everything. A really nice stroll along the waterfront from Te Papa.
Having a little kitchenette was a great bonus and I used it for breakfast in my room.

I didn't get a nice view (side of a building and a carpark) but that was cool, I didn't expect one, having booked a mystery deal through an online travel agent my only expectation was to have a roof over my head. ;) (Rule of thumb - if you want a good room in a hotel - book direct!).

Cons
The housekeeping was mostly ok but not perfect.... bathroom floor looked like they'd skipped the mopping, smudgy finger marks on the glass wall in the bathroom, shower needed some scrubbing with a brush in the corners, I had to wash some of the plates in the kitchenette before they were clean to use...but overall it was largely ok.
I never understand why hotels put fancy cushions and those red mink blanket things without washable covers on the bed. I always dump them off immediately but it would be nice if they would just refrain from putting anything that obviously doesn't get washed daily anywhere near where I'm meant to put my head. Bed was triple-sheeted so that was otherwise good.
The air conditioner worked well but was pretty noisy - don't expect there's much to be done about that and I got used to it after a bit.

Overall: I enjoyed my stay and would happily stay again. It was a comfortable, professional environment with a good level of guest care and enough detail paid to (most of) the little things.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Hi there,
Thanks for your great review, and for providing us with fantastic comments and constructive feedback. We are well located, with fantastic facilities in room and within the hotel. I have passed on your comments to the housekeeping team regarding your cleaning issues so please be ensured this isn’t taken lightly. I hope to see you back here again soon, check our website for the best deals, and to choose your room type (harbour views are fabulous).