“Clean, friendly and well presented”
Review of Rydges Wellington

Rydges Wellington
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Great stay. Excellent restaurant with best breakfast I have had in a long time. Parking on street was fine as we were leaving before 8am. Room was good size and well presented with good views. Only down sides were that the image on the TV didn't fit the screen, a bit of adjustment needed but remote wouldn't allow me to do it. Alarm clock was cheap and tacky. Volume switch didn't work. Apart from that, it was good. Will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for room on level 6 or 7, better views
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,964)

Reviewed February 2, 2012

I was lucky to get a weekend special rate for a king room with harbour view on 8th floor. The decor was very contemporary and attractive, and the view was stunning, right across to Oriental Parade. Very comfortable bed. Service was incredibly good, including assistance with use of hotel iPad at 2am for emergency work activity! The service and food in the restaurant was considerably improved from when the hotel was a Holiday Inn - everything exceeded my expectations. I felt the staff went out of their way to be helpful and to focus on solutions and meeting my needs - I was very impressed. Excellent breakfast. Excellent housekeeping. I look forward to staying regularly in this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The hotel could not be faulted although room a little on small side.
They have an excellent Restaurant and with a bit of forward planning is the best value in town. Join their loyalty scheme when you arrive or before you go and you get a free breakfast and 20% of all meals. You must claim this when in ghe restaurant.This is not well promoted though.
Only gripes were they claimed I had chocolate from the mini bar and I said I didn't. When I checked my bill later in the day they had left the charge on. Also a really irritating thing on the bill was a charge for using my credit the first time ever on a hotel bill. I later discovered this is a stunt also used by Crowne Plaza in auckland. I feel strongly enough that I would have gone to an alternative hotel had I known.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank DaveB100
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Had a weekend one nighter away from the kids. Got a great deal, free bottle of wine and buffet breakfast plus late checkout. Couldn't fault the room - the hotel furnishings still looked fairly new from when it was a Holiday Inn , got upgraded for free and had a wonderful view. Hotel was quiet and the buffet breakfast in the morning was one of the best I've had in a long time. Great selection of juices, breads and the cooked buffet was plentiful. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SkyblueWellington
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I booked a two night break for my wife's 60th birthday and a break away from earthquakes in Christchurch. We returned after a long day sightseeing at 4.30pm to relax and change before dinner only to find our room unserviced. I spoke with the duty manager and was told they had a heavy checkout day and we're short staffed(?) She offered us a drink in the bar while it was serviced, consequently we were rushed and far from relaxed for what should have been a very special evening. Would I recommend Rydges - never.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Paganlady
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Stayed for a night a couple of weeks ago. Its just great having a room with a balcony especially if you're a smoker. However, the room needs to be equipped with an ashtray because its not really nice to leave the butts on the balcony floor.

Room was spacious with all you'd expect facilities. The bed / pillows were comfortable and the room was clean. I would definitely recommend others to staying here for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We have stayed here for two nights from the 30th of December to the first of January. We had a Deluxe King Harbour View room and very much enjoyed the room and the outlook. The buffet breakfast was really good with everything one needs for a good start to the day, from eggs benedict and fresh fruit to a great variety of breads. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple