“Friendly staff and affordable clean accommodation in downtown Wellington”

Gilmer Apartment Hotel
Ranked #4 of 45 Wellington B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2013

From start to finish had a wonderful stay at Gilmer Apartments.
Samsara at reception was bubbly and helpful friendly and welcoming an absolute delight.
The studio room was modern functional and most importantly clean with no outside noise to contend with!!
I would definitely recommend Gilmer Apartments as an affordable and pleasant accomodation with helpful friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lorns-nz
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for your positive review of you stay at Gilmer Apartment Hotel.

I'm so pleased to receive yet more fantastic feedback on our receptionist Samsara. She works very hard to ensure every guest is provided with the best service possible. I'm pleased you found our studio apartment modern and functional and most importantly clean.

We'd love for you to come back and experience Gilmer again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Gilmer Apartment Hotel

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have been in and out of this hotel over the last couple of months while travelling for work and must have stayed in most of the rooms of the 3rd floor.
Every room has been spotlessly clean upon arrival and they are cleaned well each day, including the weekends if you wish.
All of the staff on reception have been great. Very friendly and always keen to help with advice about Wellington.
It's a perfect central location with easy access to Lamberton Quay and Willis Street and not too far from a New World supermarket if you want to eat in your room.
Soundproofing is good, I have never been disturbed by noise from an adjoining room.
Be sure to ask the girls on reception how to get to Willis Street without getting wet!

Room Tip: I would always suggest getting a room with a washing machine. It'll give you a bit of extra spa...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wayne S
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I'm happy to hear you enjoy staying with us and you find our rooms spotlessly clean! We have excellent soundproofing between all rooms so guest disturbance is rarely an issue.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Had a relaxing week end with my husband at Gilmer Apartment in a Deluxe studio, very clean except for the oven range hood can do with a thorough cleaning, no Maori channel ???.
But overall loved it because of the clean smell when entered our room. We will come again & highly recommend it.

Room Tip: L3 is peaceful & valued for your money.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poplarT
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I'm pleased you found us value for money and that you had a relaxing weekend here with your Husband. Thank you for the feedback regarding the range hood in the apartment we have raised the issue with our house keeping team to ensure this doesn't happen again. Thank you for the feedback regarding us not having a Maori channel. We have contacted our service provider who is looking in to adding this to our channel list.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here for a long weekend, and overall, was impressed with the one bedroom apartment room.

The receptionist was very friendly, helpful and welcoming.

The room was well appointed, with a kitchenette and nice bathroom. The only issue I would say is watch the hot water consumption, as each room appears to have an individual hot water cylinder. Enough for a shower, but possible it could run out.

I recommend that you ask the receptionist for directions how to walk down to Lambton Quay via the nearby carpark lifts - there's a page handout with instructions. Sure beats walking up Plimmer steps or Boulcott street.

I would recommend this apartment to anyone staying in Wellington, and wanting an ideal location handy to both Lambton and Cuba quarters.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Gondwana80
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

I'm pleased to hear our receptionist was helpful, welcoming and friendly. I'm glad you found our one bedroom apartment well appointed.

Each of our apartments has a 90L hot water cylinder, this should provide enough hot water for a 15 - 20 min shower (give or take depending on how hot one has the water temperature set at) the cylinder takes approximately 35 minutes to refill and reheat once emptied.

I'm happy to hear you would recommend us and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Wellington.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have been staying at this i have been staying at this hotel for two months and will continue to stay here till the end of my working contact in December. I have been so impressed with this place. I love the front door service with a smile. All of the personnel at the reception desk have been very friendly and helpful. ... there is no problem they can't handle and they are so quick to complete the tasks.
In particular SAMSARA has been unbelievably easy to deal with. She is diligent and always provide a service with a smile.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ken L
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you so much for providing such a positive review of your experiences at Gilmer!

I'm happy to hear you find us the best accommodation in Wellington. Samsara is very diligent and loves to ensure all of our guests receive the very best service. All of our reception staff are trained to ensure no problem is ever too big, I'm glad we have been able to assist you promptly.

We look forward to seeing you upon arrival for your next booking with us.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We found gilmer apartments to have extremely wonderful helpful staff. The rooms were very spacious and clean with lovely decor. We would highly recommend to stay here. It catered for short term stay and also long. Will def be back to stay:)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SOni95_13

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.

I'm pleased to hear our staff were wonderful and friendly and that you found our rooms clean and decorated nicely.

We hope to see you back at Gilmer again in the near future.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have stayed here before and this time booked a one bedroom apartment. It was tiny, I would definately not stay in one again, the studios seemed bigger. In the "lounge/kitchen/diningroom" there was only room for one lounge chair, so if both of you wanted to watch TV and didn't want to sit on the bed, you needed to sit at the dining room table.

The shower needs a good spray with Exit Mould or something similar - there were three large areas of black mould in the seals. Luckily it was a rather large shower which meant it was slightly less yucky.

Good location and the rest of the apartment was tidy and clean, but I would not stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on where we can improve our services.

I'm appalled to hear you found the shower to be unclean, this is highly unusual as our staff are usually very thorough and our showers are scrubbed with both Jiff and a concentrated bathroom spray and wipe every time a guest departs (they are also spray and wiped during the daily service).

We take guest feedback very seriously and we like to rectify issues immediately when they arise. I have arranged a full inspection of all showers by our head house keeper today.

I really wish you had approached one of our friendly staff members while you were here as the last thing we want is for someone to be unhappy with their room, I'm sure we could have arranged a room change for you if you had asked we truly try to go out of our way to ensure guests have a satisfactory stay.

We ask all guests who check out during reception hours if they enjoyed their stay, Caroline our receptionist who checked you out on Sunday morning has told me you did not mention any issues with your room nor did you mention that you were in any way unhappy with your stay. It would have been helpful to have made us aware of your concerns then or when you first checked in.

Any time it is brought to our attention that a guest is unhappy I get called immediately by our reception team, whether it is day or night. I then make a call to the guest to provide a solution.

Our One bedroom apartments are advertised on our website as - One Bedroom Apartments are similar to our Studio Apartments, but they feature a separation between the kitchen and bed space. As you booked with grabone you were advised to check our website for room configurations.

To ensure guests are completely aware of our facilities and room variations we include a visual tour on our website. This is a complete tour of the apartments. I'm sorry you found the apartment small, as previously mentioned we would have done our best to change your room if we had been aware you were unhappy.

I would suggest a Studio Deluxe Apartment may be more suited to your requirements or one of our One Bedroom Twin Share apartments.

I will call you this afternoon to discuss any other concerns you may have and hopefully we can find a way to make your next stay with us an enjoyable one.