“A real find in the CBD”

Gilmer Apartment Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Wellington B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Right from our initial reservation staff were professional friendly and helpful..I visited with my six yr old and stayed in a studio unit which was absolutely perfect for our needs.
The building is a gracious style and impeccably clean and fitted out...quiet warm and secure.
Access to Lambton quay is so easy and the walking distance to TSB arena is less than 5 mins and would be a pleasure even if in typical wellington windy or rainy weather lol!
While we didnt utilise the full kitchen i had a look being in the tourism industry and it is incredibly well equipped and functional
I travel to Wellington often and wouldnt hesitate to stay at Gilmer again...and will recommend to my clients
Thank you all for the pleasure of letting us stay

Room Tip: If you are bychance one of the unclean and a ssshhhh smoker...go ground floor as its a hike to pop o...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review.

I was very excited to see that you work within the tourism industry and obviously we made a great impression, what a compliment!

I'm really encouraged to hear you checked out all of our guest facilities and services, we strive to provide clean, comfortable and affordable accommodation so I'm glad we got a big tick.

It's so great to receive feedback regarding our staff being professional and friendly and that our rooms were impeccably clean .

Please do recommend us to any of your clients, we are always grateful for industry referrals.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights on a weekend break to Wellington and were very impressed. We had a special weekend offer for the deluxe studio which was very well equipped and spacious. There was an excellent kitchenette which allowed us to reduce spending on eating out, and the room was very large with a new tv and dvd player. The bed was very comfortable and we had no problems with the temperature of the room (although being winter, we did need the heater!) Bathroom could do with a refurbish but we were happy with it for the price we paid. We had no issues with street noise either (and are both light sleepers).

In terms of the location, it is within easy walking distance of the centre and we walked everywhere the whole weekend.

We arrived after 8pm on Friday but had been given comprehensive instructions on how to access the key which was straightforward. We didn't encounter any staff until we checked out on Sunday but she was really friendly and gave us tips on things to do and where to go for our final day in Wellington.

There were only 2 disadvantages for us. Firstly the shelf in the shower was really dirty - I would prefer this was removed rather than kept there with dirt and mould on it. Also in our opinion, the wifi was very expensive - it was cheaper to buy a sim card and put data on it than to use the wifi. From staying at other apartments and motels, we found everywhere gave us a limited amount of free internet during our stay and we then purchased if we wanted more. Even then, the purchasing cost was not this high.

The negatives would not stop us staying here again and we highly recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback on our hotel and services.

I'm pleased you found our location central and that you were impressed with our spacious studio deluxe apartments. I'm happy to hear you found our after hours access instructions comprehensive and easy, we try our hardest to ensure guests are provided with as much information as possible prior to arrival.

I have passed on your feedback regarding the shelf in the shower to our head housekeeper and she has done a thorough check of all other rooms to ensure this incident is not repeated for future guests, I'm sorry the shelf had not been removed earlier, we are currently waiting on an order of new shower caddies. I'm pleased to hear that this was an isolated incident and that the rest of the room was clean and comfortable.

Our internet is provided by Freedom internet, we believe their rates to be very competitive. I've just done a quick check of hotels in our immediate area and our internet charges are around 1/3rd of the average price.

500mb $6.50
1gb $10.00
5gb $45.00
25gb $70.00

We don't provide the internet to create extra revenue rather we offer it as a guest convenience, we choose Freedom Internet as a provider as they were the most cost effective and reliable. In regards to other hotels in other areas of New Zealand providing a limited amount of data for no charge, we don't as the entire Wellington CBD has free Wifi access. We provide information on how to access the free internet at our reception (listed on the back of the maps we issue)

I'm grateful you would like to come and visit us again here at Gilmer and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights while attending our daughter's graduation and would definitely recommend it. The three different reception staff we dealt with were all very friendly and welcoming. The studio is compact but has everything you need and is clean and in good condition. The kitchenette allows you to take advantage of the supermarket in Willis St to reduce eating out costs. It's a great location as depending on which exit route you take you can end up on Lambton Quay or heading into Manners St very quickly.
Like all hotels I have ever stayed in , it is too warm at night but unlike most, you can at least open the windows. I have previously stayed many times in Cuba St and found the Gilmer apartments to be quieter from the point of view of late-night revelers but being inner-city you cant avoid the occasional siren or the early street cleaners. The only improvement I would suggest in the next upgrade is a slightly firmer bed .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our reception staff were welcoming and friendly.
Our studio apartments really are the perfect solution for guests staying a few nights as the in room kitchenettes mean you can prepare your own meals and save money.
We have very good insulation in our walls so yes the apartments are very cozy, perfect for chilly Wellington nights, thank you for pointing out that we have opening windows as this usually provides the perfect solution for when the rooms get a bit too warm.
Thank you for the feedback regarding the bed being a bit soft, we have ordered a new bed for the room you stayed in.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Wellington

Reviewed May 3, 2013

City Centre apartments, Clean modern apartment block, well equipped kitchenette, The studio we had was quiet and spacious but the double bed was a bit small; Locating the apartments was not easy,parking is available for a nightly fee if booked in advance, town centre and harbour a few minutes walk; Wifi available for a fee; Laundry also available but we didn't use it;

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel.
I'm pleased you found our location excellent and our facilities great!

I'm sorry you found getting here difficult, I've love to speak with you to find out what information we could add to our location tab on our website to ensure future guests do not find us hard to get to.

We really appreciate receiving constructive feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our services here at Gilmer.

04 9781400

Kind regards

Reviewed April 17, 2013

What a comfy and cozy hotel! It was clean. It had modern furnishings including a kitchenette which was perfect for us. We stayed 2 nights. The room was small, with double bed and a small window but it didn't feel cramped. The view outside was an office bldg or parking structure. I didn't mind this since we spent most of our day outside anyway. I didn't think it was noisy, but the nights were cool and we had the windows closed. We had to pay for internet. Access was problematic at times, when logging in and staying connected. Parking isn't free but if you add up the nightly room charge plus parking,it is the same as most motels in NZ. I like that it was central to Wellington which is a vibrant and beautiful city. We checked in Easter Sunday evening so there was no receptionist to greet us. There was a lock box and explicit instructions on how to get our keys. I definitely would come back again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a positive review and valuable feedback.

I'm pleased you found your studio apartment cozy and clean, we are looking forward to our studio apartments being refurbished this June. I'm happy you found the current room amenities modern.

I'm glad you found our onsite car parking affordable, we charge $15 per night for parking which when compared to close by properties is around half the going rate.

I'm sorry you found our internet access problematic, the reason the internet logs/times out is to ensure data is not used unnecessarily, the solution is to set your device to automatically choose the network so it keeps you logged in. I'm sorry we couldn't have helped you with this while you stayed as I imagine having the internet time out all the time would be very frustrating.

I'm pleased you found our after hours access instructions explicit and easy to follow. We try our absolute best to contact guests on the day of arrival to ensure that if they are arriving after reception closes they are given an access code to the lock box which holds the key. Unfortunately some booking websites do not pass on guest contact information so prior contact is impossible. Our after hours assistance team are always just a phone call away. On public holidays our reception is open from 8.00am - 5.00pm

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit our beautiful city.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Gilmer Apartment Hotel is a great, handy, cozy apartment that gets serviced everyday. Staff are so friendly and easy to deal with either over the phone and at reception. Even the room servicing staff are welcoming and friendly to talk to! This accommodation is a 5 minuet walk to Lambton Square, (where the Muffin Break is), 5 mins to Queens Warf and 10 mins to Cuba Street or Courtney Place. And 1 min drive to the Motorway - on and off.
I used this Hotel for a business trip and would highly recommend this place for the needs and services they provide, especially being in the best business hub part of town with great trendy shopping close by.
Gilmer Apartment Hotel - Top Notch! And will be back again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at our hotel with other Tripadvisor members, We really appreciate receiving feedback from guests after and during their stay with us. I'm pleased our location suited and our staff provided friendly service both over the phone and in person.
I'm happy you found our rooms cozy and clean, we aim to provide an inviting atmosphere for guests and we are looking forward to our studio apartments being refurbished this June.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I Booked online and found the directions for the property outstanding, upon arrival we were greeted with warm friendly smiles and offered a map with short cuts to get down to Lambton Quay.

The studio room we had was fantastic!!! It was exactly what they promised and more. We were pleasantly surprised to find a dvd player, c.d/stereo and a flat screen t.v. They also have beautiful B&W photographic artwork on the walls throughout the hotel

Laundry room on the ground floor was easy to use and the machine big enough for a week’s worth of travelling clothes. Internet was cheap compared to other places we stayed at in NZ.

The room looked refurbished already (modern and fresh) but I was told by reception staff they a yet to complete the refurbishment of the studio apartments!

If this was before I can only imagine how great this place will look once its finished!
For $130 NZD we got a double bed, full kitchenete, ensuite bathroom and free membership pass to a local gym and pool.

Internet prices varied dependent of amount of data, we got 7 days for $45 NZD . Overall it was the finishing touches the hotel provides free of charge which really made our experience a positive one, the receptionist printed our airline ticket for no charge on departure and pointed out a yummy place to stop for breakfast. 100% we’ll be back

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Simon85E
NatashaPennellGM, General Manager at Gilmer Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel,

I'm really pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are aiming to have our refurbishment of Studio and One bedroom apartments completed by June 2013, I'm really happy you found the current facilities great. Our black and white photographs are stunning, we commissioned a photographer to take specific shots of Wellington, I think they look brilliant with our new furnishings.
We have the details for the photographer at reception if you would like to purchase any of the prints you saw at the hotel.
We are constantly looking for new innovative ways to enhance our guests experience so I'm glad you found our new laundry facility convenient, to add to this we have recently completed a communal cooking room for guests who are staying as part of a group and wish to dine together, we also allow fragrant foods to be cooked in this room.
Thank you for pointing out our internet service being value for money we believe we have found a reliable and cost effective option with Freedom Internet.

We would love to have you visit us again next time you are in New Zealand.