“I had an awesome day feeding the animals!”

Staglands Wildlife Reserve
Staglands Wildlife Reserve Entry Ticket
Ranked #7 of 236 things to do in Wellington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Staglands Wildlife Reserve & Cafe is less than an hour from Wellington and a 'must see' attraction for anyone either living in or visiting Wellington. Staglands offers a unique experience for people of all ages to feed and freely interact with a wide range of native and exotic birds and animals in an environment that has been created with nature's materials. Open daily 9:30am-5pm. Adults $22, Children $11 (3 and under no charge)
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My boyfriend took me here, because he knows I love animals. It's really a great place to feed and pet animals. I highly recommend this to the young ones. :)

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Really super place to take the young ones. Loads of bird life from displaying peacocks to ducks, geese, magpies and parrots a go go. Friendly donkeys, pigs and a wonderful gentle old clydesdale. Can't admit to being a fan of the very pushy goats though. Trout in the stream. Super Cool! Friendly staff, nice cafe. A really nice day out (so long as the weather is good to you!)
Overall a really magical spot. Definately worth a day trip from wellington if you have little people to amuse.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

this is a must do for summer great interaction with animals the kids will love it great day out for families has a very neat little cafe and food for the animals enjoy

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have heard it described as simply a petting zoo, (probably in quotes he meant only for small children). Though, Yes, for that role I do believe it plays a great role in providing a safe and peaceful environment for parents to bring small children to introduce them to wildlife and farm animals.

Though, that is not its sole strenght, on a beautiful sunny day like the one I visited on, its a very peaceful and quiet place that simply allows oneself to meander among the paths surrounded by plants and animals. It was very uplifting for my soul and I enjoyed it in that sense.

Maybe because I came early and had a couple of bags of food in my pockets, I found the animals to be rather happy to see me. They seemed very calm and relaxed and I truly enjoyed the experience of just wandering around.

They have barbeque areas, if a family wants to bring thier own lunch box and a large shed for parties, but actually I enjoyed sitting on the deck drinking my organic cola drink, pigging down on my breakfast and watching the little waxeyes get bullied by a tui as they drank at the water bowl which makes me wonder what they put in the water there.

I also enjoyed seeing how NZ looked not that long ago when I wandered around the old buildings filled with all the old tools and items that NZers used to have. I would recommend it as a place to visit for people with small children, couples who want a quiet day out together and old people who just want a quiet day out.

I will go again and while on a wet or cloudy day, it may not appear the same, I still think its worth a visit.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Our family have been here a couple of times now. It's a really pleasant spot, well set out and ideal for the kids. Best on a good day, take a picnic to enjoy by the river or make use of the cafe. Be warned, the drive in can be hairy. We're Kapiti Coasters, but come her via Upper Hutt as the road is narrow and dangerous - made worse by cyclists!