“Disappointing”

Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived we had issues with our booking made via a third party. Eventually we did get it all sorted.
The hostel is nice and modern. Our room had an ensuite, comfortable bed and good bedding.
However, that's where the positives end.
The kitchen downstairs is absolutely tiny and really cannot be called a kitchen - it didn't even have an oven.
The housekeeping staff just walked right into our room without knocking first. They didn't apologise at all. I find it completely unacceptable that staff would just walk into someone's room like that. They went into our bathroom for all of 2 seconds to 'clean' it. We stayed here over a week and our room wasn't cleaned once. One day they also took away our towels and shower curtain which were never replaced. There was a leak coming from the sink which they clearly knew about as someone had tried to put tape over it.
And then there's the noise pollution every night. There is far too much noise from the bar and the staff act like they don't care when they're told. Clearly there is no respect for paying guests who would like to sleep. There's also so much noise throughout the hostel. Every night there are people running around screaming, shouting and slamming doors. Again, reception just don't care.
Generally the staff were quite rude and times and unhelpful. Although the guy (he seemed new) was pretty nice so I won't tar them all with the same brush.
My advice is not to stay here at all. Once they've got your money they don't give a damn and then encourage you to spend money in their bar.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
NomadsCapital118, Manager at Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at Nomads Capital and I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Firstly, I'm sorry that you had some issues with your booking upon arrival but I'm glad that these were quickly resolved.

I am very sorry that the Housekeeping staff entered your room without knocking, I can assure you that this is not common practise and I will certainly speak with them about it. I will also discuss with them your comments about them not cleaning your room during your stay. I am very surprised about this as our procedure involves all rooms being cleaned throughout your stay unless the guest specifically asks for their room not to be.

I am also sorry about the disturbance you experienced from the bar and that you felt the staff did not care about this as this is certainly not the case.We have a great team here so I am surprised and saddened to hear that you felt they were rude and unhelpful. I will be sure to speak with them to find out more about this and make sure that it does not happen again.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and would really like the chance to change your mind if you are back in Wellington again in the future. Kate, Hostel Manager, Nomads Capital

There are newer reviews for Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a few days here. To start on a positive note the hostel is modern and clean with free tea and coffee.However there is no proper kitchen which is rediculous given the size of the place. There is merely a small snack preparation area on the ground floor, adequate for heating noodles and no more as this snack prep area is crowded with 3 people in it.
Now onto the noise from the bar. Why should one have to wear earplugs to sleep? Spoke with reception to turn down the music, or rather, noise pollution as i wouldn't call it music. To no avail, which seems a common occurrence from other comments on here. If anything it got louder. FYI the city council's noise enforcement office is located right across the street. Tempting to make a call! Why the place has no respect or its guests who require sleep is beyond me.OverAll the impression I get from this hostel, which seems to be the cash cow of the nomads group is that once you've paid for your overpriced accommodation, to hell with you.

One other point, after paying for wifi access, you have to pay again, in effect paying twice if you wish to use a p.c. What's that all about?

Give this place a very wide berth if you want sleep and wish to cook a meal.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at Nomads Capital and I am sorry to hear that you wouldn't recommend us to other travellers. I appreciate your comments about the cleanliness of the property and will certainly pass these onto our Housekeeping team who do a fantastic job of looking after the place. I do understand that we have a fairly small kitchen but I'm sorry you felt it was only enough space for "heating noodles" as it is fully equipped with two microwaves, a pizza oven/grill, 4x4 hob tops as well as all the items you should need and,quite rightly, expect. In the past couple of weeks we have also been doing a lot of work on making the kitchen more spacious and if you were to stay again I'm sure you would agree that it has been vastly improved. I hope you were able to take advantage of the free meal we provide in the bar each night too. We tend to find that as well as being a nice luxury when staying at the hostel it also helps to alleviate the pressure on the kitchen during busy periods.

I'm really sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise from the bar, I'm glad that you spoke to the reception team about it but I'm sorry that it could not have been stopped before you had to do this and disturb your sleep. We do respect that guests want to sleep and try hard to strike a balance that means everyone can be happy. I will speak with the team that were working in the bar while you were here and find out why the music wasn't turned down as it should have been.

Regarding your feedback about the internet charges, our internet is provided by an outside company who provide internet for the majority of the large hostels throughout New Zealand and so works the same way everywhere. We tend to find people either want wifi or credit for a PC so I apologise that in this instance you needed both and they could not be covered on one card.

I really appreciate your feedback and I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay. I would really like the chance to change your view on the place so hope that if you are ever back in Wellington you might consider staying with us again.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

A group of 12 woman stayed here for the W O W. Some were initially worried about the comfort of staying in a back packers, in our room there was a double/ single bunk and a single bunk and we all had an en suite. beds were comfortable but being metal were a bit squeaky but that is OK reception supply ear plugs for free. There is a bar next door where you can get a meal and they have great happy hour drink specials. In the guest lounge kitchen they serve a free pasta meal at night if you want as well as free tea and coffee. We were all very impressed with the cleanliness of the whole complex.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
NomadsCapital118, Manager at Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your review on your recent stay with us and I'm really glad you enjoyed your time here. We had a lovely group of ladies here for World of Wearable Art and really glad that you were impressed with our facilities especially those that were a bit dubious about staying in a backpackers. Some of the beds are a little squeaky but we are working on this and will have the majority of our beds replaced over the next few months. I hope you will choose to come back and stay with us for WOW again next year and of course if you are in Wellington anytime before then. Kate, Manager, Nomads Capital

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Was in Wellington for a week course so decided to stay over for the weekend and catch up with friends. Forgot it was Wearable Arts weekend (27th-29th September) so only accommodation available for 4 of us was a 6 bed room at Nomad Backpackers. Last time I was in a backpackers was over 20 years ago in the U.K. Well... I was very impressed. The room and facilities were very clean. Staff were also very friendly and helpful. It was very reasonably priced (It cost $114.00 for for us as we paid for the extra two beds as didn't want anyone else in the room). You had to share toilet & shower facilities but that was ok. Centrally located - Walking distance to supermarket, Te Papa and the night life. Will stay again at Nomads but will book the ensuite which comes with own shower etc.

Room Tip: If there are a group of you recommend to book Room 304 as it's right across from the toilet and...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
NomadsCapital118, Manager at Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave a review on your stay at Nomads Capital and I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's certainly been a busy couple of weeks in Wellington so I'm glad that we were able to find a room to suit your group.

I appreciate the feedback on the staff here too, they are a great team that I'm really proud of and it's great to hear such positive feedback, I will certainly pass your comments onto them.

Feel free to give us a call if you are planning to stay in Wellington in future and we will certainly be able to arrange accommodation for your group again.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The staff was more or less friendly. However, for the price charged, the 4-people dorm room was way too small. There is hardly any walking space left after brining in the luggage. The beds make a lot of noise and most importantly, we could not sleep due to the bar that opens until 2 pm. We were given the rooms on the 1st floor, and the noise (wouldn't call that music) coming from the bar was too loud. Having ear plugs did not help. We definitely will not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at Nomads Capital and I'm sorry that you didn't have an enjoyable stay with us. With regards to the beds I do understand what you are saying and we are currently working through a programme of upgrading and replacing the majority of our beds. I appreciate that that doesn't make your situation better but I can assure you that it is in progress.

I am sorry you were disturbed by music from the bar, did you speak with our reception team about it at all? They would have been more than happy to ask the Bar Staff to turn the music down and/or move you to another room if there was space to do that. The bar has been very busy over the past couple of weeks with so many people in town but we do try our best to strike a balance between that and ensuring that everyone in the hostel is able to rest so I apologise that on this occasion this does not seem to have been the case.

I'm sorry you felt that we are overpriced, we work hard to provide accommodation that we are proud of and are prices are in line with others throughout the city. I hope you will choose to give us another chance if you are back in Wellington in the future.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Due the the sleep deprivation that I have been subjected to over the last three nights at Nomads Capital, I'm struggling to string together a cohesive sentence that will do justice to the ordeal that I have just endured.

Nomads clearly isn't a signatory to the UN Bill of Human Rights as they have no intention of providing accommodation In which their guests are not subjected to torture or cruel treatment.

Locating a bar (music from 1989, drinks prices already taking into account inflation in the future) that stays open until past 1:00am in close proximity to rooms without bothering to install any substantial sound proofing shows a total disregard for the fatigue management of paying guests. Most galling of all was the sign in our room stating that it was a dry hostel (no issue with that) and that drinking and making noise in the rooms adversely affects the ability of fellow guests to "chill out and sleep". Right, so don't drink in the rooms, but please come down to the bar where you can spend a small fortune AND stop your fellow guests from chilling out and sleeping.

The noise was my main issue, however I would also have been frightened to run a uv light over my bedding for fear of the bodily fluids that would have shown up. Also, most fishing boats have more space for luggage storage, and the bunks beds were incredibly creaky.

The staff, though friendly, we're not at all helpful when my party complained about the noise.

Room Tip: A good room? Find a different hostel. Actually, for the price that Nomads charges a hotel would be a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
NomadsCapital118, Manager at Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at Nomads Capital and I'm very sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience. I am very sorry that you were disturbed by the music from the bar this is something we try hard to keep an eye on and reception staff know that they can ask the bar staff to turn the music down at anytime and equally bar staff know the levels that are acceptable. In this case it would seem that this was not monitored as well as it should have been and for that I sincerely apologise. I have already spoken with one of your group about some form of compensation for the disturbance and so I will contact you directly to discuss this.

I am very surprised to hear your comments about the cleanliness of your bed linen. Was this something that was brought to the attention of our staff? I can assure you that we have a hard working and professional team of housekeeping staff here and that our cleanliness is of a very a high standard and was a key factor in us being awarded a Qualmark 5 Star rating.

With regards to the beds I apologise that they are a little noisy, we are currently working through a programme of upgrading and replacing the majority of our bunks. I appreciate that this does not affect your recent stay but unfortunately it is something that takes a lot of organising in a building of our size and so will take a little while to roll out through all rooms.

I am sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay with us and would really like to have the chance to make it up to your group. As I said I will contact you directly with regards to this.

Regards, Kate, Nomads Capital Hostel Manager

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The location is good, the hostel is mailny clean (the bathroom too, that is very nice in a hostel), cheap food, cheap drinks in the evening... I think this is one of the best hostel in Wellington.

Nevertheless, this is still an hostel a bit expensive, and the main issue is that is not a working hostel, so take care of your stuffs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay with us and I'm really glad that you enjoyed your time here. We have an awesome Housekeeping team so I will be sure to pass your comments onto them as well.

I'm sorry you felt that we were a little expensive, our prices are pretty reasonable especially for what we offer and we are certainly inline with other properties in Wellington. With regards to keeping an eye on your things I would advise that all guests looked after their belongings when staying anywhere. The majority of our dorm rooms offer lockers for guests to use and we provide padlocks to hire from reception. Any valuables can also be left with us in the office if required. I am not aware that we have had any issues along these lines.

Thanks again for taking the time to write your review and hope to see you again if you are back in Wellington in the future.