“Room upgrade? Yes please!”

Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington
Roanoke, Virginia
“Room upgrade? Yes please!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We ended up booking a 10 bed dorm room online a few days before we got to Wellington. Once we got here, they ended up putting us into a family room (a queen bed with 3 singles) instead! The whole place was very clean and noise was kept to a minimum. You even get a free nightly meal down at the bar (it isn't much, but hey, it's free!) from staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
NomadsCapital118, Manager at Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review on your stay at Nomads Capital. I had a look at your booking and happy to see that you got a nice surprise upgrade to one of our 4 bed ensuite dorms! Nice to have a bit of unexpected luxury when you're travelling! I'm glad that you found the whole place clean, we have a great team who work hard throughout the day to keep everything looking smart and it's good to see that it's appreciated I shall definitely be letting them know. Really glad to hear that you took advantage of our free meal too, nothing better than having someone else cook and serve your meal to you! Thanks again for your comments and hope to see you back in Wellington again. The Nomads Capital Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Indonesian first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at this Nomads a couple of times and would definitely go back. The rooms can be fairly small but we've been 'upgraded' both times into rooms with smaller dorms so can't complain.

There seem to be lots of bathrooms so not having ensuite really isn't a problem. I never had to wait for a shower/toilet, or even saw anyone else using them!

The kitchen area is really small for the size of hostel. However each evening you can get a voucher for a free 'snack sized' meal at the bar next door, or $2 to make it bigger. Really good value - it's free! Ok for those with a small appetite but most guys would definitely need the bigger portion.

The hostel is really central with a less than 5 minute walk to the te papa museum, surrounded by cages and eateries and a 10 minute walk to the closest supermarket.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback and glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Nomads Capital and lucky you 2 upgrades! Glad to hear that you were happy with your rooms and yes we have heaps of bathroom facilities so it is very unusual to be waiting for a shower which is great! We do have a fairly small kitchen so I'm really glad that you were able to take advantage of the free meal and $2 upgrade. We find that this eases the congestion in the kitchen hugely at busy times and also gives you the luxury of having someone else cook for you! Really happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon! The Nomads Capital Team.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Having stayed in Nomads in Queenstown, which was a great hostel, I was left disappointed with this one. I was in a 4 bed dorm and found it to be quite claustrophobic. The only window looks out into a central external lightwell. Shower rooms were clean, but the noisy nearby nightclub didn't give me a good nights sleep, and I normally don't have a problem sleeping. I recall lockers in the room which is handy. The location is great but the dry hostel meant I couldn't enjoy a beer or glass of wine with my dinner, something I noted to ask about in other hostels before booking. There is a bar attached to the hostel but its not my cup of tea. All in all its OK for the price, but I've stayed in better places.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay at Nomads Capital. We do have an awesome hostel in Queenstown but I do like to think that we have a very good property too. I'm sorry to hear that you weren't very happy with your room, the majority of our dorms are around the outside of the building but some are in the middle with a window to the outside but facing the other side of the property. I am concerned about your lack of sleep due to a noisy nightclub as we are not located near a club so I'm unsure where such a lot of noise would have come from. We do have our own bar as you mention and I'm sorry to hear it wasn't for you. we like to think that it caters for everyone and is also where we serve our free meal in the evenings. Like many properties we are a dry hostel but feel that having our own bar with great drink offers for inhouse guests more than makes up for this and provides a good place to meet new people. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future and give us the chance to change your opinion of the property. The Nomads Capital Team.
Potchefstroom, South Africa
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Coming from South Africa and not knowing New Zealand very well, i found Nomads Wellington to be an excellent base from which I could explore the country. Arriving from the hellish SA-NZL flight at 12:30pm, I was helped quickly and efficiently and soon found my comfortable bed to catch up on some sleep. There is a good range of rooms, from 2-3 sleepers for more privacy to the normal 8-sleeper dorms. The rooms and bathrooms were all clean despite the place being quite busy. The kitchen is pretty small but generally has everything you need, but can be a challenge to use when there are plenty of people around. The lounge area was comfy with loads of couches. The staff were all pretty helpful, especially with ideas on exploring around Wellington and travel tips for the rest of New Zealand. Special mention must go to the awesome relationship the hostel has with the Blend Bar next door, with cheap dinner specials for people staying the hostel and an awesome vibe!

Room Tip: The 4-sleeper rooms are slightly offer cheaper prices than the double rooms, but more privacy the no...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review on your stay at Nomads Capital and really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have a fairly small kitchen and it can get busy but we like to think that the free meal we offer in our bar helps to reduce traffic in there especially during busy times and also give you the luxury of having someone else cook for you! I'm really glad that you took advantage of this and that you enjoyed the vibe in the bar, the guys in there are great and do all they can to make people feel at home when they are staying with us. It's also great to hear your positive feedback on the reception staff, they are a great team and love to help people with their travels or anything else that they might need. Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels and that we might see you back in Wellington sometime in the future. The Nomads Capital Team.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

It´s in principal a nice hostel, good location, only 15 min. walk from the ferry and 2 min. from Isite/city centre. It´s convienent with elevator and 24h staff. It´s just very big and commercialised. The room also had a funky smell and only a small window to let some fresh air in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hi there, thanks very much for taking the time to leave your review on your stay at Nomads Capital. We are very centrally located so I'm glad that you enjoyed the convenience of the property. We are a fairly large hostel but I'm sorry you found us to be a bit commercialised, I like to think that the team are still very personable and keep a friendly atmosphere around the place despite it's size. I'm also sorry to hear that there was a strange smell in your room, did you let the team on reception know? I'm sure they would have made sure that it was sorted out. With so many people in and out these kind of things are inevitable but can be resolved easily. I hope it didn't affect your stay too much and that you would consider staying with us if you are back in Wellington in the future. The Nomads Capital Team.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here in a double room for about 2 weeks while we searched for jobs. One member of staff was nice and helpful but the rest seemed uninterested. The kitchen was small and almost unusable. It is in a good central location and we recommend it for people on a budget.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave feedback from your stay at Nomads Capital. I'm glad that you found one of our staff to be very helpful but I'm very concerned that you got the impression that the others were not interested to speak to you. We have had a number of staff changes since you stayed but I will still follow up on this. We do have a fairly small kitchen so I can understand your comments there but do feel that the free meal we offer in our bar helps a great deal to minimise congestion at busy times. I am concerned that you found it unusable though as it has all the facilities that guests generally need and if there is anything missing or not quite right we do encourage people to let us know. I hope you were able to make use of it at least at some points during your stay. It's great to hear that you would recommend us though and I hope that you would come and stay again if you are ever back in Wellington. The Nomads Capital Team.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed March 14, 2013

A good place for a family. The twin rooms very good value. The staff are lovely and friendly if not a bit busy at times (not their fault). We had one complaint which was something outside the hotel's control and the hotel sorted us out in a very friendly and co-operative manner. Would definately go back with the family.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street if you are really fussy. However, our rooms opened onto the street...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review and I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Nomads Capital. It's great to hear that you found the staff really friendly and helpful, I'm very proud of the team that we have and love to pass on feedback like this to them. They do get pretty busy at times but luckily they are great multi-taskers and are able to keep their smiley faces intact at all times! I'm really glad that you will be back to stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you then! The Nomads Capital Team.