“Not the best hostel! Stay somewhere else!”

Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The beds are very noisy which can be frustrating at times!! Throughout the hostel there is no atmosphere so therefore theres probably more life in a corpse!! The service whilst checking in is poor and they do not co-operate accordingly!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
NomadsCapital118, Manager at Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Hi there, thanks so much for leaving a review about your stay at Nomads Capital. I appreciate that it was quite a long time ago that you stayed but I am concerned that you didn't enjoy your time here. I believe we have a very enthusiastic and friendly reception team so I am surprised to hear that you found the service poor and uncooerative. I am sorry that you felt this way. I'm also very surprised that you found the place to feel like there's "more life in a corpse" especially as you stayed at a very busy time of year. It can often be quiet in the daytime though especially in Summer as people tend to be out making the most of the lovely weather and all that Wellington has to offer. With regards to the beds we are aware that some of them do need replacing and repairing and so are working on this through the winter while the rooms are quieter. I hope it didn't affect your stay too much and would love to have the chance to change your opinion of the place if you are back in Wellington again. The Nomads Capital Team.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Nomads wellington
SLEEP QUALITY: Very bad. This is a party hostel so you have people coming in and out the rooms all night. Not only that but the beds are unbelievably squeaky and the slightest movement will wake anyone up.
LOCATION: Very good. Right in the centre close to everything and walking distance to the ferry. Also the Kiwi experience bus stops right outside.
PRICE: Good value for money at $23 a night for a 6bed. This includes light meal in the evening and tea and coffee in the morning.
LOCKERS IN THE ROOM: Yes, but only small ones big enough for valuables but not a back pack or suitcase.
POSITIVES: Location and Staff.
NEGATIVES: The bathrooms are small, the kitchen is small and the rooms are small.
WOULD I STAY HERE AGAIN: For 1 night and if i was getting drunk then yes. But if its sleep u want then no way.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your stay at Nomads Capital. I appreciate that you stayed with us quite a while ago but I wanted to make sure that you knew that your feedback was appreciated. I'm a little surprised to hear that you found us a party hostel as that is not the way that we see ourselves but it sounds like it could well have been a busy night with a crowd that were having a big night while you were staying. I can assure you that this is not always the case. We have had some issues with our beds but are working through them at the moment and repairing and replacing them where required. Unfortunately we weren't able to do this during our busy Summer period but are able to now it's getting quieter for Winter. I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed our great location and awesome staff now, we are very proud of both! Thanks again. The Nomads Capital Team.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Quite a big hostel, but i missed some personality. Though there are some parties in the bar connected to the hostel, which might make sleeping quite difficult. Clean rooms, clean bathrooms. Good location, accross thr street from i-site.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay at Nomads Capital. I know that it was quite a while ago when you stayed but wanted you to know that your comments are appreciated. I'm sorry that you feel that the place missed a bit of personality, it can be difficult sometimes with a larger property but I like to think that the staff do all they can to make the place as friendly as possible. I'm really glad that you enjoyed the clean rooms and bathrooms though as well as our great location and hope that you will stay with us again if you are back in Wellington. The Nomads Capital Team.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

This place was recommended to me by other family members, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a hostel/backpackers in central Wellington. It is just off Cuba Street (one of the main streets) and a couple minutes walk from the waterfront. Easy to get to, bus stops are only a few minutes walk away, and there's car park buildings nearby.

Staff were friendly and helpful. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm, which was clean and had it's own ensuite shower/toilet (as well as there being other unisex toilet/shower facilities on the floor). The bunk beds were basic and comfortable. Our room faced out onto the street, but I didn't notice any traffic noise and slept soundly at night.

The tourist information centre is just over the road, as are galleries, library and museums...Te Papa (the national museum) is about 5 minutes walk away. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby, and supermarkets within 10 minutes walk. The couple of nights I was there, I would get some takeaways for dinner and go sit down in one of the waterfront parks, enjoying people watching, and the rowers practising in the little harbour below. The waterfront near the central city is beautifully landscaped for pedestrians.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay at Nomads Capital. I know it was quite a while ago that you stayed but just wanted you to know that your comments are appreciated and I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We're pretty proud of the place and love to get good feedback that confirms how we feel! I'm really happy to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful and had a couple of good nights sleep while you were with us. Your evenings spent in the parks and on the waterfront in beautiful Wellington sound lovely and a great way to spend your time here. Hope to see you back here again in the future. The Nomads Capital Team.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The room was tiny and the bathroom flooded everytime i had a shower, The rooms were incredibly humid though and the windows didn't open far enough to let in much air so it was slightly suffocating.
It was clean though and well kept and the staff were friendly.
You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Cat R, General Manager at Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hostel. I am sorry that you found the rooms so hot, one of the down sides to having such an amazing summer! The windows on the bottom couple of floors only open to a certain height for security reasons and also to try and discourage people jumping out of them!
I am glad you found our staff friendly :)
Best wishes,
Cat Ritchie, General Manager

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Maybe we arrived close towards the Hobit premier but the room we stayed in was very small and cramped.
Our bathroom drained was clogged so we had a mini flood everytime we showered. I was on the top bunk and the beam next to me was soooo dusty it was gross! Also the windows were dirty and filthy! Noise from a close by club was sooo loud i felt like i was sleeping next to a construction site! We barely used the kitchen but by the looks of it, it was messy and way too compact.

The good thinks about the hostel was free dinners and a great location!

Room Tip: Dont choose 1st floor!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of the hostel. I am sorry that you had such a bad experience staying here with us.
I personally went up to the room in which you had stayed, and showed the cleaneres what you meant about the beams, and how all of the areas need to be reached, no matter how high they are.
I am sorry that the music from the bar downstairs disturbed your sleep. We try to do our best to make sure everyone is happy, but sometimes the guys from the bar forget how loud it can be upstairs. I hope you came down to say something, as the least we can do is turn the bass down in this kind of situation.

I hope that you enjoyed your time in Wellington at least,
Best wishes,
Cat Ritchie,

Reviewed December 16, 2012

It appears this building has zero insulation in it. I stayed in a room at the front & got about 4 hours sleep per night because of all the outdoor noise (& I am actually a deep sleeper). A truck running it's engine outside at 3am (the driver was having a smoko) literally sounded like the concrete below was being drilled with pneumatic drills or something. I went down to investigate to find the truck engine wasn't actually that loud outside, but in our room the noise was amplified 10 fold! Same for all the pub noises below & screaming outside re people leaving the pub, it wasn't that loud down there, but sounded mega loud in our room. I ended up on the verge of a migraine from all the lack of sleep so no I would not stay here again. Also they need lockers in the rooms & in the kitchen why not put lids on all the bins in the kitchen as they stink out the place really bad. Also some people coming back to their rooms in the middle of the night made loads of noise that went on & on, so perhaps a notice on the back of every door reminding people to keep quiet after 11pm or something would be good. The room was for 4 people but normally a room that small would only have 1 or 2 people in it. I've stayed in some great flashpackers around NZ, but this was terrible.

Room Tip: Choose one somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo