“Best hostel in Wellington!”

Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed here for 2months in June and July while I looked for a place to live more permanently.

I ended up meeting other longtermers, and was upgraded to a longtermers room, with an ensuite.
They offer Work for Accomodation, but that is pot luck, if your around when people leave, which happens often.
Admittedly the kitchen is not great- but realisitically, due to the logistics of the building it cannot be changed, so they have more than compensated for this by offering everyone a free meal at dinner time and free tea and coffee all day, which is a hell of alot more than some of the other hostels offer.
The location is great, just at the bottom of Cuba Street, there is a bar on-site that do $5 drinks and favourite... 241 meals on Mondays- so 2 Steak and Chips for only 20bucks!!!!
Theres alway things going on in the evening, such as Blend Bingo, KillerPool, Quiz Night and they had just started day trips as I was leaving too. I think they were doing a Zealandia day for $10- when its usually $28!

The staff are awesome and you cant really get much better than Steve on reception.... he does loves a hug!

Would definitely reccomend it for Backpackers :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Have stayed in many hostel's throughout New Zealand and Australia. We had deluxe ensuite room which was brilliant with flat screen tv and huge bathroom. Friendly staff and clean rooms. Kitchen however was disgusting. No room for more than 4 people to cook and very unclean, limited utensils. On the flip side they do offer a free snack size meal (can be upgraded for $2 to a larger portion) in the onsight bar. This arrangement obviously encourages people not to use the kitchen which is not a bad thing!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cat R, General Manager at Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to review Nomads Capital.

I am pleased that you liked our rooms and the staff looked after you well. But yes, you are right, the kitchen is quite a limited size. Unfortunately we are a heritage listed building, and because of that, there is nothing I can do to improve the lay out of the guest kitchen. However, we do have a great courtyard with BBQ facilities for the summer months, and we offer the free meals in the evening to try and compensate for the size. As for the cleanliness: we have people cleaning the kitchen 3 times a day, after every meal time. We can only hope that guests clean up after themselves when they are finished to help keep it clean in between times.

Cat Ritchie, General Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is a young person's hostel. The bed was crazy squeaky, and nothing fun was even going on... The kids smoking and shrieking on the back patio at 2am were not awesome and our room must have been over a generator or fan (maybe the kitchen) because the floor was vibrating like in a machine shop.

Vee, at reception was fantastic. She made the whole place worthwhile.

Maybe I'm old, but i HATED the stupid picture of of the torso of a man having sex with a sheep and the $5 Wet P***y shots advert right in the elevator. Subtlety can be cool people!!!!

The room was really clean and the shower great, also the fish and chips at BLEND next door was smashing...but the music was so crazy loud i knew i was too old to be there. :)

Room Tip: If you are on the first floor, make sure you're not right above the kitchen. I would try to get...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to review Nomads Capital.

I am sorry that you feel this is a young person's hostel as we really try to accommodate everyone, and not focus on one target market. I have spoken to our Night Audit staff and discussed the repercussions of people being in the courtyard at that time of night.... Checks are now being done more frequently, and rules enforced, NO exceptions!

I am so pleased that the staff looked after you well. We like to think that our customer service is one of our best features, so it is great to hear positive reviews, even better when it is a personal one.

Cat Ritchie, General Manager

Reviewed June 3, 2012

The front of staff at Nomads are lovely, really helpful and professional. The cleaners are great and they do a
Cracking job. My
Main complaint with Nomads was the general atmosphere and click going on. I often felt, and this was shared amongst many others that I spoke to, that I was an intruder in the home of the long stayers. Those that are living there commender the common areas and are both noisy and hostile to anyone else attempting to watch a film, cook, even get involved. I have recently moved to YHA and am so much happier. I wish I hadn't spent my first week in Wellington at Nomads as I started my adventure in Wellington on the wrong foot.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank laker89

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate Nomads Capital.

I am sorry that this is the vibe you got from the hostel. However, I am pleased to say that we now have a second common room upstairs.
This also has beanbags, sofas and bucket chairs to relax in. There is Sky TV, a DVD player, and X box facilities. Downstairs is being used more as a quiet room, with people reading, or playing on laptops...

By the summer, I also plan to have re invented the courtyard area with decking, a BBQ area and shelter to protect from the.... sun!!! There will also be access to Blend bar, so this will be the perfect beer garden too :)

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stayed here over Christmas a few years ago and my friend and I had booked a twin room several months in advance through hostel world. When we arrived the person working at reception said they only had a double available because they were so busy even though they were aware of our reservation. We were furious as we had booked so far in advance and arrived on time. She said it was because we had booked through the hostelworld website rather than directly through the hostel which I found very strange as we had paid a deposit and had not had any problems during the month we were in NZ and had booked all accommodation through hostelworld. I refused to stay in the double and she eventually agreed to upgrade us to a deluxe twin but for 1 night only which was a huge hassle because we had to check out early in the morning and then check back in again in the afternoon, when I pointed this out she said they were only under obligation to provide a bed for the night rather than a room during the day!
I have stayed in a lot of hostels and never come across this before or such a rude member of staff. Would not stay again although the rooms themselves were quite good.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate Nomads Capital.

Although mistakes do happen, it is up to the provider to sort them out, with as little stress for the guest as possible. I am sorry that you had such a frustrating arrival here with us, there really is no excuse for bad service!

I would like to reassure you that we have a whole new team working here, who all know how important being polite and helpful are, whatever the situation.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is a very good hostel if you're staying as a couple or group.

I stayed with a girl-friend in a private room with ensuite. The room first appears to be Spacious but when you unload your bags the space dwindles quite quickly. Although the room was a 'Double' it also included a single bed. the ensuite was large but found the size of the shower was needlessly small due to the location of the shower curtain. The room was somewhat basic but clean and fitted with a flat screen TV. Not much more you could ask for.

The floor was quiet and had a hotel vibe. The door and elevator was operated by key card for that extra security.

The reception had ample computer terminals with wifi available that uses the 'Global Gossip' system, so the speed and price is good and always a bonus if you have a global gossip account.

A bar is adjacent to the hostel offering the usual food and drink affair. Prices are average but servings are generous. If you feel like 'staying in' for a meal the kitchen looked to be fully equipped but fridge space was very scarce. The hostel also offers a free dinner which is quite generous I thought, unfortunately I did not take advantage of the offer.

The location is great with Cuba street just around the corner; a strip of cafes, diners, restaurants, bars, vintage and record stores.

This is where I come back to my first gripe; This is a very good hostel if you're staying as a couple or group but the atmosphere was somewhat lacking. The awkward place of the common room (out of the way of any real thoroughfare) and the very underutilized and uninviting courtyard made it seem like it it would be harder to meet people if you are a solo traveler.

This was a good hostel and would be perfect you're not too keen on the party scene hostels around the place, clean and modern, but somewhat lifeless for a hostel and more hotel like than anything. Some see that as a plus, I'm a very social person so it wasn't to my taste but at the end of the day you couldn't fault this hostel.

I was happy with my stay and would recommend this hostel to friends and family.

Room Tip: Room labeled as a 'Double' had an additional single bed
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anaru R

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate Nomads Capital.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us, although I am sorry that you didn't manage to take advantage to that changes that have been made or are being made in the coming months...

We now have a full time activities manager, who makes sure all guests have an opportunity to mix, play games and enjoy themselves, if they should so wish...
There has been an additional common room added upstairs in the hostel, with Sky TV, X box facilities, and a DVD player. Downstairs is being used more as a quiet room now.
In the coming months... (ready for summer), we are re inventing our courtyard area so that it will be a nice place to take advantage of in the sun! Decking, BBQ's and a cheeky beer $5 from the bar next door... not a bad way to spend the afternoon!

I hope that you will come back to visit one day to see these changes :)

Cat Ritchie, General Manager, Nomads Captial

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Just hopped on a plane from auckland to wellington and was pointed towards wakesfield street for rented stay found this amazing place called nomads, loved the person behind the desk they way she handled my query and put me in a nice dorm, cost effective, good facilities and the best thing they had a bar down in basement -- loved it :)
Would love to stay again when i visit.

Room Tip: 6 bed sharing room have a en-suite my personal preference
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Indian A

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate Nomads Capital.

I am so glad you were taken care by the reception team, and you had a good time on your weekend away in Windy Welli :)