“You'd have to be mad to stay!”

Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington
“You'd have to be mad to stay!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

The front of staff at Nomads are lovely, really helpful and professional. The cleaners are great and they do a
Cracking job. My
Main complaint with Nomads was the general atmosphere and click going on. I often felt, and this was shared amongst many others that I spoke to, that I was an intruder in the home of the long stayers. Those that are living there commender the common areas and are both noisy and hostile to anyone else attempting to watch a film, cook, even get involved. I have recently moved to YHA and am so much happier. I wish I hadn't spent my first week in Wellington at Nomads as I started my adventure in Wellington on the wrong foot.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank laker89
, General Manager at Nomads Capital Hostel Wellington, responded to this review, June 25, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate Nomads Capital.

I am sorry that this is the vibe you got from the hostel. However, I am pleased to say that we now have a second common room upstairs.
This also has beanbags, sofas and bucket chairs to relax in. There is Sky TV, a DVD player, and X box facilities. Downstairs is being used more as a quiet room, with people reading, or playing on laptops...

By the summer, I also plan to have re invented the courtyard area with decking, a BBQ area and shelter to protect from the.... sun!!! There will also be access to Blend bar, so this will be the perfect beer garden too :)

Cat Ritchie, General Manager, Nomads Capital

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Indonesian first
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stayed here over Christmas a few years ago and my friend and I had booked a twin room several months in advance through hostel world. When we arrived the person working at reception said they only had a double available because they were so busy even though they were aware of our reservation. We were furious as we had booked so far in advance and arrived on time. She said it was because we had booked through the hostelworld website rather than directly through the hostel which I found very strange as we had paid a deposit and had not had any problems during the month we were in NZ and had booked all accommodation through hostelworld. I refused to stay in the double and she eventually agreed to upgrade us to a deluxe twin but for 1 night only which was a huge hassle because we had to check out early in the morning and then check back in again in the afternoon, when I pointed this out she said they were only under obligation to provide a bed for the night rather than a room during the day!
I have stayed in a lot of hostels and never come across this before or such a rude member of staff. Would not stay again although the rooms themselves were quite good.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate Nomads Capital.

Although mistakes do happen, it is up to the provider to sort them out, with as little stress for the guest as possible. I am sorry that you had such a frustrating arrival here with us, there really is no excuse for bad service!

I would like to reassure you that we have a whole new team working here, who all know how important being polite and helpful are, whatever the situation.

Cat Ritchie, General Manager, Nomads Capital

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is a very good hostel if you're staying as a couple or group.

I stayed with a girl-friend in a private room with ensuite. The room first appears to be Spacious but when you unload your bags the space dwindles quite quickly. Although the room was a 'Double' it also included a single bed. the ensuite was large but found the size of the shower was needlessly small due to the location of the shower curtain. The room was somewhat basic but clean and fitted with a flat screen TV. Not much more you could ask for.

The floor was quiet and had a hotel vibe. The door and elevator was operated by key card for that extra security.

The reception had ample computer terminals with wifi available that uses the 'Global Gossip' system, so the speed and price is good and always a bonus if you have a global gossip account.

A bar is adjacent to the hostel offering the usual food and drink affair. Prices are average but servings are generous. If you feel like 'staying in' for a meal the kitchen looked to be fully equipped but fridge space was very scarce. The hostel also offers a free dinner which is quite generous I thought, unfortunately I did not take advantage of the offer.

The location is great with Cuba street just around the corner; a strip of cafes, diners, restaurants, bars, vintage and record stores.

This is where I come back to my first gripe; This is a very good hostel if you're staying as a couple or group but the atmosphere was somewhat lacking. The awkward place of the common room (out of the way of any real thoroughfare) and the very underutilized and uninviting courtyard made it seem like it it would be harder to meet people if you are a solo traveler.

This was a good hostel and would be perfect you're not too keen on the party scene hostels around the place, clean and modern, but somewhat lifeless for a hostel and more hotel like than anything. Some see that as a plus, I'm a very social person so it wasn't to my taste but at the end of the day you couldn't fault this hostel.

I was happy with my stay and would recommend this hostel to friends and family.

Room Tip: Room labeled as a 'Double' had an additional single bed
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anaru R

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate Nomads Capital.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us, although I am sorry that you didn't manage to take advantage to that changes that have been made or are being made in the coming months...

We now have a full time activities manager, who makes sure all guests have an opportunity to mix, play games and enjoy themselves, if they should so wish...
There has been an additional common room added upstairs in the hostel, with Sky TV, X box facilities, and a DVD player. Downstairs is being used more as a quiet room now.
In the coming months... (ready for summer), we are re inventing our courtyard area so that it will be a nice place to take advantage of in the sun! Decking, BBQ's and a cheeky beer $5 from the bar next door... not a bad way to spend the afternoon!

I hope that you will come back to visit one day to see these changes :)

Cat Ritchie, General Manager, Nomads Captial
chandigarh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

Just hopped on a plane from auckland to wellington and was pointed towards wakesfield street for rented stay found this amazing place called nomads, loved the person behind the desk they way she handled my query and put me in a nice dorm, cost effective, good facilities and the best thing they had a bar down in basement -- loved it :)
Would love to stay again when i visit.

Room Tip: 6 bed sharing room have a en-suite my personal preference
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank robincingh

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate Nomads Capital.

I am so glad you were taken care by the reception team, and you had a good time on your weekend away in Windy Welli :)

Inverness
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

Very generic. Large dorms, tall squeeky bunk beds. Noise from the bar below. But.... good wifi connection in rooms, although you did have to pay and centrally located.

Room Tip: Higher up the building the better
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bxrry
Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to rate Nomads Capital.

We have a range of dorm style rooms that have from 5 bunk beds (10 bed dorm), to only 2 (4bed), so there is a mixture to suite everyones budget and preference for large or small rooms.

I am sorry that the noise from Blend bar disturbed your sleep. I hope that you spoke to one of my reception team about it, as they will always try to move guests to the other side of the hostel if there is space.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Wellington,

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

This hostel was decent. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm which was en suite.

The room was spotless as was the bathroom. There were drinks and meal specials in the bar next door which weren't great.

The kitchen was a bit cramped for the size of the hostel and Internet wasn't free.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank rovingrebel

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate Nomads Capital.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't think the deals we have in Blend bar were that good.

Everyone who stays in the hostel gets a free snack size meal each night they stay, which might be pasta bake, stir fry, nachos, pizza or a salad to name a few, and they can all be upgraded to a full size portion for only $2.
House wines and Beers are only $5, and using your room key, to show you are an in house guest, you get 20% of the main menu (steak chips and salad for $16, not too bad?!)

We are also now doing 2 4 1 main meals on a Monday, and other specials during the week.

I do hope that you enjoyed your time in Wellington,

Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

This hostel was clean, safe, clean sheets, towels. Nice roomy bathroom/shower. Laundry facilities were fine, but busy. Didn't use the kitchen but seemed ok. Breakfast was a bit disappointing, no cutlery, seemed disorganised, ran out of bread, then milk, etc.

• Stayed February 2012