“Great coffee”
Review of Matterhorn

Matterhorn
Ranked #14 of 24 Nightlife in Wellington
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Friends told us to visit this great cafe tucked away behind the shops. What a place to just relax and unwind.

1  Thank HSTravel616

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This bar was recommended in several places as the best bar/restaurant combo in Wellington. As a small bar aficionado, I thought I'd give it a go. First of all the service was very slow - but then the service in New Zealand in general was like that, so I wasn't expecting much. The server said she would come back with a menu in five minutes - I can understand that, but not when there is a lot of other staff present that can do this as well. The servings are tapas style. We had the croquettes (good), potatoes with hay (good), salmon gravlox (tasted like sushi), pork cheek (decent), beef cheek (had an asian flavor that was ok, just unexpected) and the worst wagyu I have ever had. I felt very gypped by the wagyu - it was meant to have been cooked for 5 hours (in water, the server said) which means it should have been tender. Good wagyu or beef for that matter should be so tender that you don't need a steak knife. It was instead very stringy & raw, we had to send it back, and when it came back it was too tough to chew. A friend commented it was cut the wrong way. Needless to say it was quite disappointing and it didn't live up to they hype. Other people I know really like the drinks in this restaurant, so maybe its ok just to go for as a bar.

1  Thank mariaviajera1
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A bar at Cuba mall, very hidden but mentioned in Lonely planet as best bar in Wellington.
Living in Wellington I can tell you it;s not the best bar.
Staff is often slow, but you could argue that it's very often packed.
Food is ok, drink selection is great, prices are similar to everywhere else.

But what I really miss is some kind of 'Matterhorn-atmosphere' - this has nothing to do with the Matterhorn or Switzwerland or Alpes ..

Still for After work drinks a place you can go.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

I must admit that it took me a while to notice or find where Matterhorn was located on Cuba Street, but once I did - I realised it was a hidden gem. Its next to the shop Rex Royale

It has a beautiful setting with an open restaurant and a seperate area for the bar, try the outdoor area where you can sit and relax in the sun.

The staff are very friendly, efficient and helpful. I definitely recommend you try this place out!

2  Thank kattymae26
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Went to Matterhorn for some after dinner drinks as had been told it was worth it. Service was slow for the first round and bar person was pretty unfriendly. Second round - asked the barman for three glasses of Te Awa Merlot - he was obviously annoyed about being dragged away from his friend/girlfriend he was chatting to and advised us he would have to get someone else to mix them!? (Not sure how hard it is to pour wine out of a bottle). Ordered some drinks from someone else who knew how to pour a glass of wine and the girlfriend of the lazy barman suggested we should go somewhere else if we didn't like the service. So we did so. Overall disappointing experiece and wouldn't go back.

2  Thank CK19660428