“Matterhorn?”
Review of Matterhorn

Matterhorn
Ranked #15 of 25 Nightlife in Wellington
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A bar at Cuba mall, very hidden but mentioned in Lonely planet as best bar in Wellington.
Living in Wellington I can tell you it;s not the best bar.
Staff is often slow, but you could argue that it's very often packed.
Food is ok, drink selection is great, prices are similar to everywhere else.

But what I really miss is some kind of 'Matterhorn-atmosphere' - this has nothing to do with the Matterhorn or Switzwerland or Alpes ..

Still for After work drinks a place you can go.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

I must admit that it took me a while to notice or find where Matterhorn was located on Cuba Street, but once I did - I realised it was a hidden gem. Its next to the shop Rex Royale

It has a beautiful setting with an open restaurant and a seperate area for the bar, try the outdoor area where you can sit and relax in the sun.

The staff are very friendly, efficient and helpful. I definitely recommend you try this place out!

2  Thank Katrina A
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Went to Matterhorn for some after dinner drinks as had been told it was worth it. Service was slow for the first round and bar person was pretty unfriendly. Second round - asked the barman for three glasses of Te Awa Merlot - he was obviously annoyed about being dragged away from his friend/girlfriend he was chatting to and advised us he would have to get someone else to mix them!? (Not sure how hard it is to pour wine out of a bottle). Ordered some drinks from someone else who knew how to pour a glass of wine and the girlfriend of the lazy barman suggested we should go somewhere else if we didn't like the service. So we did so. Overall disappointing experiece and wouldn't go back.

2  Thank CK19660428
Reviewed July 2, 2010

My husband and I eat out in Wellington at least twice a week. Of late, we are drawn to the Matterhorn. There is a waiter there that is outstanding. His service is impeccable. Each time we visit, he is happy, warm, welcoming, knows the wine menu and obviously the food. He is attentive, you feel his passion for great customer service and he makes me feel important. This is what I believe is a key attribute missing from many other people that serve in this industry. The food is great, the menu is yum, but most importantly there is a waiter called Otis that makes me say to my husband each week - let's go to the Matterhorn! Today was outstanding as usual! Thanks to OTIS

1  Thank Princessmel10
See more reviews
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We were in Wellington for 1 night only in December 2008 and wanted a place for some cocktails and nice meal. Read up on the Matterhorn online and then found their website. I knew by the effort put into their website that this place was on the ball. Look at the range of drinks, wines and the great looking menu.

We turned up at 8ish on a Sat night and the place was already filling up, not crowded but pleasantly full. The bar was our first place of call and we settled in for a few cocktails - the Fidjoa Vodka and Chi based one was a nice starter...before moving into the restaurant about 9pm for a meal.

Well I have to tell you that EVERY dish presented a new set of flavours. To think that someone has put as much thought into each dish to combine all the flavours is truly outstanding. Probably the highlight was the entree of double baked gorgonzola, then again, the expensive chocolate dessert was world class too, oh...but what about the Venison? See what I mean?

Our waiter expertly matched wines by the glass to every dish (including stickies and ports with our cheese and desserts) to make this a truly remarkable dining experience.

We have been to some top restaurants including world top10's such as Tetsuya's but this one takes the cake.

If you are visiting Wellington the Matterhorn is a MUST!

2  Thank ttriebler