“Avoid like the plague”

Base Wellington Backpackers
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Wow I do not know where to start. Well the bedrooms for one were terrible. They were old are creaky, the duvet cover was dirty. The room was terrible because the windows were so old they let all the wind in. There was only one plug socket for the whole room which left us all fighting to use it which was terrible. Then the kitchen, well nothing ever worked. The cookers were mostly broken and never got fixed which left everybody in this huge hostel jostling to use just one cooker, disgraceful. Also there was no over or any other way to cook things. The toliets then were no different, always out of order and the lights never worked. Best bit about it was leaving. Dont stay here! Like nearly everyone else says on here go find somewhere else. Apparently the YHA down the road is nice, but there are lots of hostels in the city so go find a different one.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Winston P
There are newer reviews for Base Wellington Backpackers

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I only was here for one short night before proceeding onward. The dorm beds in this hostel were six to a room and we had plenty of space for all of our luggage but I heard that our room was slightly bigger than the other dorm rooms because we had a bit of a corner. Bring your earplugs if you're a light sleeper because the wind is howling the entire time. The room I stayed in did not have an ensuite bathroom and so I just used the communal one. There are elevators in this hostel so you don't have to drag your items up and down the stairs. The beds were surprisingly fantastic since they were soft but if you're on the bottom bunk, you can't sit on your bed properly since the bunks are low. There were also drawers under each bunk to use (one drawer for each bed).

The communal kitchen is on the first floor and it looked like there was enough room to cook. The dining area was large with many tables and a few vending machines. I also saw large lockers to rent out to place your luggage in if you were checking out early.

The hostel is close to bars and restaurants in the city. It was windy and rainy the day that I was there so I didn't go very far away from the hostel area. There is also a bar in the basement of the hostel and they hold events every night but I did not have the chance to join in.

The Wi-Fi here was very fast and reliable. I was able to use it in my room and it is on the Global Gossip network.

It's a shame that I wasn't here longer than one short night as Wellington looked like a great city to visit and the beds were comfortable at this hostel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed at the X Base Wellington recently. Despite the old bad reviews, the price and location was right for me so I thought I give it a go. The welcome was warm and friendly. I asked if I may view one of the rooms before deciding if I stay. The young receptionist guy took me up to the rooms and around the hostel. First night after my flight I stayed in a private room as I wanted some privacy to get some sleep after all the travelling. I got a room with hotel style made bed, flat screen TV, a very clean bathroom and an AMAZING view from my balcony..! The common facilities as the kitchen ( that comes with a smokers friendly balcony ) and dinning room are spacious enough and surprisingly clean. Any given day or evening time it seemed that there is always a cleaner around the kitchen or the bathrooms to check on the situation, that's kinda cool. The WiFi is for $4,- a day and is all over the building... again, pretty cool. The reception is open 24 hours and they seem to have a fairly good knowledge about the city and the things to do. The rooms are clean and I found the housekeepers very friendly and helpful. There is a Hostel bar in the basement of the building called the BASEment bar..:) I had 3 really good nights down there. Loads of drink specials, especially loved the killer pool night and the first price $50 bar tab ( and with $5-$6 drinks you can get loaded for that !! :D ) that I WON..! Pretty girls and chilled out lads working behind the bar and a DJ.. Good place to socialise and meet some new people.
The one thing I have to agree on some of the previous reviews is that the building is old, so not dirty and not looked after, just really really old. But when I was staying I could see some painters around the building and some maintenance going on so perhaps that is on it's way to improve too.

It's not the Taj-Mahal or The Ritz Hotel in St. Moritz but in my opinion it's a solid backpackers hostel with some really cool people working there, reasonable price, clean rooms and the spirit of backpacking.

Would stay again, no doubts about that.

Room Tip: always try to ask for the water front view private room with balcony is amazing
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank czechpunk
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night while on the way back up to Auckland. Couldn't open the windows in the room, 2 of the sockets were inaccessible, the staff were surly, half of the toilets were out of order, and a large group of people were talking and making lots of noise in the corridor, despite the hostels 'no drinking' policy. Wouldn't recommend this place. If you're in the city, stay at the Nomads instead.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank WayneKelso
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Me and my boyfriend have been travelling for nearly a year and can honestly say this was the worst hostel we stayed in where used to base hostels and nomads etc but this was something else. Rooms ard dirty,us and all of our friends we met there found the staff so rude when you check in and are not helpful at all.kitchen is awful didnt even cook in there as took one look at .it... no thanks! Stay away if you can

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holly b
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Terrible hostel, genuinely the worst place I've stayed in a year of backpacking New Zealand.

Myself and my boyfriend paid for a 6 bed dorm and upon getting to our room 5 of the 6 beds were already occupied and there was vomit on the floor!

Changed rooms only to find that everyone else we were with had been charged less for the same size dorm, so asked the rather sullen receptionist for the difference which we begrudgingly got back.

Get back to our new dorm to find our key cards don't work anymore because the receptionist had deactivated then whilst checking someone else in!

The beds are terrible but no worse than some other hostels I've been in except for the highly suspicious white stains on 4 of the 6 duvets in the room.

Only one out of three lights in the male toilets actually works.

Kitchen is terrible and too small for the size of the hostel, cleanliness just doesn't seem to be a priority.

Would recommend anyone to stay away from base hostels, the only decent one to stay in is Queenstown but even then that's only if you're travelling with Stray as you have a dedicated floor.

Stay Away!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank KimWil
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Shocked by the other reviews on this site, because I had such an awesome time at this hostel! Made some really great friends! Danced the night away in their bar. This is a pure backpackers, the reception staff are really chilled out and cool! Yeah I dont know what more to say as everything in my opinion was great! Definatly competitive in prices with other hostels!
Look forward to staying there again :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends