“Dont stay here!!!!”

Base Wellington Backpackers
“Dont stay here!!!!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I have never had such an awful experience in a hostel. First off I was bitten from head to toe by bed bugs. It was misleading because the sheets looked brand new. I had huge bites from my face to my toes and had to visit a medical centre as they were so bad. I also went on a night out and a man followed me back and somehow got in. I alerted someone who got rid of him, but I didnt feel safe. The location wasnt as central as the others, and it was overpriced and noisy. Base used to be excellent, but its like they lost interest.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Although Base Wellington is in a very convenient location, I really wouldn't recommend staying here. It's huge, which means that it loses the personal and homely feel of many hostels in NZ. The kitchen was an absolute tip, and always really busy; the rooms were very basic and pretty dirty. The sheets were clean, but the floor was sticky and gross. The staff were clearly very stretched, in such a huge place, so weren't able to be friendly, helpful and relaxed. You got the impression that they didn't really care what they were doing. The corridors were very noisy until early hours of the morning.

I'd say avoid this place. It doesn't match the standard of Base hostels elsewhere, and you'll definitely find better for the same price or cheaper.

Room Tip: Try to keep as far as possible from the staircases, to avoid the drunk people yelling at all hours.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Wookey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I had the misfortune of staying in this place for 1 night recently and suggest anyone thinks very hard before spending their money here.

On arrival, the Reception area was chaos and did alert my senses but figured its only 1 night - it can't be that bad!!

How wrong was - should off acted on my gut feeling.

Now Base are never going to be my type of hostel but why any organisation would want to put there name above the door, I don't know. This is the worst hostel I have seen in my relatively short period of time in NZ.

7 storey building, slow lifts, tiny rooms, no ventilation, badly organised reception, dirty, noisy.
1 of the group I travelled with got bitten really badly by bed bugs or something.

It isnt cheap so think very hard before choosing the stay here.

Come on Base - you are better than this cess pit of place

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed at base 2 nights in feb for the wellington 7s. Arrived around 4pm and it took an hour to check in due to a large tour bus that arrived just after us. Reception told us it would be more time efficient to check in a stray bus before us?

Rooms were basic, bunk beds. We shared a 4bed room that had a lot of light and wasn't too noisy.

On Sunday night I discovered I was getting little red bites in trails up and down my arms while in bed. We searched the bed, found some small bugs. Went down to reception and asked for a new mattress and linens. THEY SAID NO. Had them come up to the room. And the girl behind the front desk searche my bed and said to me "there's no bedbugs, THOSE ARE JUST FLEAS". I got a new set of linens, but she said there were no extra mattresses and I would have to pay more to get a different room because there weren't any dorms for us. Incredible.

No common area. Crowded dirty kitchen.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Ekatherin
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Cramped, smelly, soiled sheets, terrible noise, rude staff. The price was $20 each, which was far too much for a flea ridden dirty blanket. The window was broken, so it was freezing. There was gum stuck on the walls (five pieces in a line), there was a hole in the wall, the noise was terrible. The staff were unhelpful, we asked to use the internet and paid $5 to find out the next day it was $3 and the staff member had pocketed the rest! When we first arrived, they gave us the wrong keys, too! The bathrooms were covered in mould, the floor was sticky and wet - which is a health hazard. The kitchen had a few stoves, many of the elements were not working. There is a no alcohol rule, but the floor I stayed on smelled of beer and weed, so it's not enforced. I would NEVER stay here again, left covered in insect bites and couldn't enjoy my holiday because I couldn't sleep.

Room Tip: my advice - sleep somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kathleen f
Reviewed December 29, 2012

$31 is was too much for a tiny bed in a smelly, hot 4 bed dorm. I paid for 2 nights but reception ony booked me in for one. Alcohol is not allowed on sight (except when its purchased in their own bar), so why was the locker under my bed full of empties? Likewise the glass recycling bin? The tiny kitchen was filthy and had rat poison in it! Two, 2 slice toasters for the whole hostel - both of which were broken. There were no dish cloths available to dry up for entire duration of my visit, consequently there were rarely any clean cooking or eating utensils. The noise from the bar, dining room and smoking area made this a very noisy hostel until 2am and then, come morning, the "lounge area" (2 sofas in the dining room) was completely taken up by unconscious drunks from the night before. I gave up after 2 nights and moved to Downtown Backpackers - which was everything Base isn't. Don't stay here if you want to sleep or eat!

• Stayed November 2012
Melbourne
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My partner and I recently stayed here for the Hobbit premiere. We had a double ensuite room and scored an amazing little balcony which overlooked Courtney Place, so we even had a view of the Red Carpet from our room. Obviously the whole place was packed, and our sleep was interrupted by parties and loud noise, but that's standard for a hostel, especially when it was such a busy and exiting time.

The facilities were reasonable, a laundry, large kitchen and lounge area, but the kitchen was filthy! Again, probably a result of the busy period, however, I really do feel that it would be a good idea to supply cloths for wiping down benches, and replace the disgusting dish-brushes.

Our bed was very comfortable, a full sized double, as opposed to the double-bunks you sometimes get at hostels, and the bathroom was small but nice. The staff were nice and helpful. All in all, we had a fantastic stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple