“back to baseics”

Base Wellington Backpackers
St Albans
“back to baseics”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Cost 21 NZD for 6 bed dorm room (booked online), had an ensuite and considered cheap for New Zealand in general. Not a single power socket in room had to use bathroom to charge phone, ipod etc. Rooms were clean and beds decent enough. Staff pretty friendly. Reception felt more like a town hall than a reception in a hostel. However, there were plenty of computers to use there. Plenty of decent kitchen/laundry facilities there. Good location, right in the heart of the city. Overall, rate it as average!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
BaseWellington, Manager at Base Wellington Backpackers, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Base Wellington on the 14th September.

All the comments we receive are important to us as they also help us improve on our facilities and service we offer to our guests. Please except my apologies for you room not have having any visible sockets, some are located behind the bunk beds and we working on ways to change the room layout in this specific room.

We really appreciate the feedback and happy to see you enjoyed you stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed in the female level, really friendly staff which was great as a solo traveller. Good value breakfasts and the location was fantastic. Right off the main street for cafes, bars and not too far from te papa and the waterfront, the amazing museum in Wellington.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank rojagringa
Birmingham, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Base Wellington is pretty much everything I could ask for in a Backpackers hostel. It is located perfectly in the centre of the city making getting around a piece of cake. This is helped even more by the extremely friendly staff who were able to sort out all trips and activities I wanted with no problems what so ever!
One of the best things about the hostel was the clean 24hr kitchen and TV area. Too many hostels have a closing time for tv rooms and kitchens so it was a refreshing change to have 24 hr access.
The bar provided GREAT entertainment also. The staff were extremely friendly and they held free bar games throughout the night which kept myself and friends amused all night. It is so nice to see everyone in the bar, including the staff, getting involved and having a good time. Everything I could ask for as a backpacker!

Room Tip: Higher rooms get less noise from the bar!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ben T
Rotorua, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I was expecting a really bad stay but I was wrong and I am glad about that. It was pretty clean, kitchen was decent and the receptionist was very helpful to me. I made a couple of good friends and we all enjoyed our stay here. Location is really good and the hostel is not disgusting at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank AdamB700
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

The most shocking thing about my stay at BASE was reading some of the negative reviews which contrasted so sharply with my own fantastic experience.

I stayed at BASE on two occasions, once in a 6 person mixed dorm for a week, and again in a private double room with my girlfriend. We had a blast!

From the start, the staff was warm and helpful. I found them to be professional and accommodating with everything I asked, they fixed us up with sights to see and daily entertainment fitting our budget.

The Kitchen was cleaned regularly and never ran out of pots or pans like so many other hostels I've been to. There was plenty of fridge space, sinks and hobs at all times. The lounge was a little small, but had a poker table which we thought was cool.

the rooms themselves were great. The dorm room was basic but clean and comfy, with great heating and lockers provided, plus it was vacuumed and maintained every day.

The private room was superb. It was a great value, clean and comfy and serviced daily by the housekeepers.

My only complaint was that there was a no drinking policy in the rooms, but there is a great bar in the basement where we had 4 dollar drinks all night! I couldn't believe it, it was far cheaper than anywhere else we drank in Wellington.

All in all, both of my stays at BASE were among the best I've had in NZ hostels, and I know where I'll be staying on my way back through Wellington.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Connor M
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

It was so dirty and unorganized. The staff didn't look like they want to be there nor would they want to smile to any of the guests. I felt so unwelcomed! The elevator is so old and might as well die. Everyone wanted to party so you end up with no sleep at night! Never staying here again. was warned and should have listened!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

I was really disgusted with this place! When I first pulled in I was informed a parking space would need to be paid for (with no prior advising of this). My room was on the 8th floor and the scary old elevator only went to 7 (while flashing "out of order" along the way, to then take the stairs the rest of the way. The room was of decent size and amenities but I found hair in the bed and the teaspoons still had coffee on them, the bathroom bench hadn't been whipped down, overall the place was not clean. Kitchen amenities were terrible, this was not clean either and the whole place had a no alcohol policy. The whole night the noise from the street drifted up keeping me awake as well as the party next door raging well into the night. Do not stay here, I was absolutely appalled.

• Stayed July 2012
BaseWellington, Manager at Base Wellington Backpackers, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Hi there,

Im sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t up to standard and I hope you also received the email I sent to you in regards to your stay.

We are the only backpackers in Wellington with limited parking available which is a great feature and as this cant be booked online all guests are informed on check in or if they book via phone. As mentioned in my email to you I have passed on your feedback to my Head housekeeper as we pride ourselves on our facilities and the cleanliness standard by having all communal areas serviced 3 times a day.

Kind regards,