“Not too bad”

Base Wellington Backpackers
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I was expecting a really bad stay but I was wrong and I am glad about that. It was pretty clean, kitchen was decent and the receptionist was very helpful to me. I made a couple of good friends and we all enjoyed our stay here. Location is really good and the hostel is not disgusting at all.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AdamB700
There are newer reviews for Base Wellington Backpackers

Reviewed August 1, 2012

The most shocking thing about my stay at BASE was reading some of the negative reviews which contrasted so sharply with my own fantastic experience.

I stayed at BASE on two occasions, once in a 6 person mixed dorm for a week, and again in a private double room with my girlfriend. We had a blast!

From the start, the staff was warm and helpful. I found them to be professional and accommodating with everything I asked, they fixed us up with sights to see and daily entertainment fitting our budget.

The Kitchen was cleaned regularly and never ran out of pots or pans like so many other hostels I've been to. There was plenty of fridge space, sinks and hobs at all times. The lounge was a little small, but had a poker table which we thought was cool.

the rooms themselves were great. The dorm room was basic but clean and comfy, with great heating and lockers provided, plus it was vacuumed and maintained every day.

The private room was superb. It was a great value, clean and comfy and serviced daily by the housekeepers.

My only complaint was that there was a no drinking policy in the rooms, but there is a great bar in the basement where we had 4 dollar drinks all night! I couldn't believe it, it was far cheaper than anywhere else we drank in Wellington.

All in all, both of my stays at BASE were among the best I've had in NZ hostels, and I know where I'll be staying on my way back through Wellington.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Connor M
Reviewed July 24, 2012

It was so dirty and unorganized. The staff didn't look like they want to be there nor would they want to smile to any of the guests. I felt so unwelcomed! The elevator is so old and might as well die. Everyone wanted to party so you end up with no sleep at night! Never staying here again. was warned and should have listened!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I was really disgusted with this place! When I first pulled in I was informed a parking space would need to be paid for (with no prior advising of this). My room was on the 8th floor and the scary old elevator only went to 7 (while flashing "out of order" along the way, to then take the stairs the rest of the way. The room was of decent size and amenities but I found hair in the bed and the teaspoons still had coffee on them, the bathroom bench hadn't been whipped down, overall the place was not clean. Kitchen amenities were terrible, this was not clean either and the whole place had a no alcohol policy. The whole night the noise from the street drifted up keeping me awake as well as the party next door raging well into the night. Do not stay here, I was absolutely appalled.

• Stayed: July 2012
BaseWellington, Manager at Base Wellington Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Hi there,

Im sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t up to standard and I hope you also received the email I sent to you in regards to your stay.

We are the only backpackers in Wellington with limited parking available which is a great feature and as this cant be booked online all guests are informed on check in or if they book via phone. As mentioned in my email to you I have passed on your feedback to my Head housekeeper as we pride ourselves on our facilities and the cleanliness standard by having all communal areas serviced 3 times a day.

Kind regards,

Dana O'Brien

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We spent two nights here and stayed in a double ensuite room. We were impressed with how clean and comfortable it was. We were abit concerned after reading other reviews but had no issues whatsoever. A brilliant place to stay that is within walking distance to some great eating places and night life. If you are concerned about the noise, don't be as it was not noticeable. Highly recommended.
The only minor disappointment was the breakfast. But if you're ok with cereal and warm milk you'll be fine.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Donna J

It is always pleasing to hear that we have exceeded the expectations of our guests and delivered the high level of service and accommodations we strive to offer.

We aim to offer outstanding service and a great time and strive to do this by getting feedback from people like yourself. We hope to see you again at Base Wellington.

Dana O'Brien

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed in the Sanctuary, the female only level. Room was small and if you have a room mate that is a long term guest, you will find that you have even less space to work with. Bed and sheets were clean enough. Windows not soundproof and though you do not hear the music from the basement bar, you can hear the sounds coming from bars along Courtney Place, and this runs all night through till the wee hours.

I arrived late and although it is stated that each guest is given a towel, I was not given one, reason being that they ran out of towels - in winter when occupancy is supposed to be low? How about summer when occupancy is high? There should always be enough based on the bookings and more for late minute arrivals. Name stickers always run out at the end of the day. It is stated on the fridge that if your food is not labelled, they will be thrown away or something along that line. This is impossible if there are none for the guests to write their names on. If this happens on a daily basis, there is an obvious demand for this name stickers, either more should be provided, or they should be refilled when finished and not on the next day.

Cleanliness do not seem to be a priority at this hostel. Sure, the cleaners do their rounds everyday, but either cleaning should be done more frequently, or the guests need to be educated on how to keep the areas clean, in particular, the bathroom and the kitchen. It is neat and tidy after the cleaners clean them up, but at the end of the day, you will find the bathrooms wet and in a mess, tissues thrown everywhere, hand tissues supply finished. In the kitchen, pots, bowls, cups, utensils thrown in the sink and not washed. Even the tables and chairs for eating at littered with crumbs and food.

The only redeeming quality of this place is that all rooms seem to be suitably heated all night and day, which seems to be of a rarity for New Zealand hostels. Stay here only if you have no choice or really need the warmth. I will not be visiting this hostel again.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed in an ensuite room.
The room was on the top floor with a Large shared balcony. Great if you have friends travelling with you, Which we did! The balcony was fantastic with views over the city and ocean.
The room was great, it was fairly spacious. Everything was clean and tidy, I would definitely stay here over a hotel. The rooms were also quiet and we had a great sleep each night!
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
Walking distance to bars, restaurants, cinema, shops and beach! What more could you want!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends