“Good value”

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good value”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night last month. It was just after the Hobbitt premiere so there was a shortage of reasonably priced hotel rooms & this seemed okay for location & price. I wasn't expecting much as I remember when it was a bit of a dive, more like a backpackers, but what a surprise when I got there. The receptionist was very pleasant & helpful, check in only took a few minutes. My room was a good size with a king & single bed in it, despite there only being me in there. It was clean with tea & coffee provided, large TV & enough towels.
When I checked out, the receptionist organised a shuttle to the airport for later in the day when I left, he offered to help with the cases.
A very good experience for the price & I shall use the hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
AbelTasman169, Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. It’s good to see that you enjoyed your time in Wellington and the Hobbit premiere.

We do take pride in our customer service and the quality of our product. It’s great to see that we have managed and exceeded in making your stay enjoyable and convenient.

We thank you for your valuable suggestions.

Abel Tasman Hotel - Prime Hotels
email: hotelmgr@primehotels.co.nz
Tel: 04 8023152
Mobile : 021 929 124
DDI: 04 802 3152
Fax: 04 385 8416

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My room stunk of cigarette smoke, when having a shower I could smell smoke from other rooms coming out of the air conditioning.
All my clothes stunk after my stay, unacceptable!
Staff were friendly enough however.
Beer etc Cheap enough at the bar.
Rooms very small and run down, out of date.

• Stayed November 2012

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip and it suited my needs. It wasn't the Hilton, but it was all I needed. The rooms are clean, the staff are nice and the breakfast is great. Can't ask for more really! Plenty of restaurants close by if you don't want to eat at the hotel, but the food there is pretty good.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
AbelTasman169, Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Wellington.

Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed at the property on 13th Oct. We were met with polite and helpful staff, signed in and given a park in the underground area. Wellington turned on a fierce gale and rain, but we were very comfortable with the basic but effective oil radiator provided. Room was clean and had normal facilities, tea making, flat screen TV, king bed, etc.
We found all staff helpful. The bed was very comfortable, the breakfast excellent and well presented, both cooked and continental. The room had a view over roof tops, and was a bit noisy even on the fifth floor. Traffic and people contributed to this. The hotel is very central, and close to all that is going on in the city's centre.
The car park is a bit of a chore to navigate, very close and narrow parks.
Overall we had a nice stay, and if you don't want a scenic outlook, but stay close to town. This place is fine.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Trixta
Dear Guest

Firstly, thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback following your stay at the Abel Tasman Hotel as it gives us an opportunity to continually review and improve our room standards and overall hotel procedures.

I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the coolest little capital in the world.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

The reception staff were curt and rude. I booked this trip 6 weeks prior from Canada and had high expectations. Upon arrival I asked if we could have a quiet room with a view and the guy haughtily told me that we were in the centre of the city and there were no views! We needs a recetionist's refresher course. His attitude made me quite angry. I would have gone elsewhere despite our reservation but we had been driving all day to get to Wellington. Our room was pretty cheap looking,pretty disappointing. Overlooked street with vagrants yelling later on when drunk. Tried to use their 'guest laundry' facilities...located IN the freezing parkade. It was in such bad shape,I wonder if this space use to be their paint room. Tiny,paint splattered,dust bunnies ontop of the broken door rail...door missing big piece of glass. One drier broken but they failed to put a notice on it...so it ate my change. When I mentioned this to different reception staff,this time a woman she said I was 'welcome' to use the other machine...which I already was. I needed 2 driers for my 2 loads of soaking wet clothing!!!!anyway I would never stay at this place again.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Foodyguru
Dear Guest ,

Thanks for providing us with your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay. Staff accordingly has been notified about the issues mentioned and actions are being taken to ensure this never happens to any future guest staying at the Abel Tasman Hotel.

We would have been more than happy to room move you had a request been made during your stay. Also, we would have been glad to sort out many of these issues for you had we been notified at the time of your stay as well.

I can assure you our quality and standards are far greater than all of 3 to 4 star hotels you will find in Wellington. It is however very upsetting that your particular stay did not manage to exceed expectations to what we had to offer. We do apologize for this.

I do wish that on your next visit to the Coolest little capital, you will come back to us and let us show you our hospitality.

Kind regards,

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very comfortable. Room recently updated. Not noisy on the 4th floor. Everything very clean. The biggest problem was the staff could not make a decent recommendation for restaurants. We found out later that we were within blocks of lots of options but none were recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Willis are very sunny
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest ,

Thanks for providing us with your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay. The staff member has been notified about the issues mentioned and we will ensure this never happens to any future guest staying at the Abel Tasman Hotel. Also the staff member was new and in training. We will ensure that the feedback does get actioned.

Kind regards,

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The reception is nice and the staff are professionally helpful, but the rooms are terrible. It's like staying in a cheap student dorm that hasn't had a refurb in 20 years.

The furniture is cheap, shoddy and doesn't match. The door still uses a key. Their full room rate is hilarious and the 'bargain' rate I got wasn't a great bargain.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business