“Rustic Charm.....Relaxed Dining........Excellent Value For Money......”
Review of The Ramen Shop

The Ramen Shop
Ranked #296 of 930 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Japanese, New Zealand
Description: The Ramen Shop is a collaboration between Tsubasa Takahashi and Asher Boote. Serving ramen with a kiwi twist.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Rustic Charm.....Relaxed Dining........Excellent Value For Money......”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My family and I visited The Ramen Shop for lunch recently and could not get over the fact that it was full to the brim with customers. It has a lovely casual,rustic charm and a most welcoming ambience. It was lovely to see a mother and small baby, a couple of business men and a table full of young ladies all enjoying their lunch in this friendly,casual restaurant.....a lovely cross-section of people relaxed and enjoying their food.
The menu is well ballanced,fresh locally sourced produce and NO Monosodium Glutimate,colourings or additives.......just beautifully cooked, tasty dishes that are very affordable. A bowl of delicious Ramen broth for only $12 is not going to break the bank.
The wines and beers have been chosen carefully to compliment the menu and works very well. I haven't been to many places where a family of five adults can be fed so nutritiously for just over $100.........and that includes the drinks!!!
The Ramen Shop is a different dining experience......fun,healthy,relaxed and charming.
For those who have mobility problems, the restaurant is on the level from the street. Although small there is plenty of room for a walking frame or wheelchair. The staff are delightful and only too happy to help with your needs. The restroom is small but very close to the dining area and no huge obstacles in the way.
The wall art is fun and beautifully painted all adding to the rustic charm. The staff are all cheerful,friendly and oozing with gastro experience.
All in all a delicious, well balanced and filling lunch that's not going to "break the bank" with a lovely relaxed, fun atmosphere. I look forward to returning in the future.........well done Boys.

2 Thank Carole C

• Korean first
“tasty deep flavours”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Delicious authentic tasting ramen in a stylish designer setting. Lots of interesting items on the menu, not just ramen. Look out for these guys doing popup at markets and craft beer bars round town.

Visited May 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
“Laid back feel with reasonable price food”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I visited on a Saturday night.

The food is reasonably priced. I had a pork bun snack which was the highlight of the night. Good texture and sauce.

Improvements can be made to the soup base on 'the bowl' as it was bland with an average taste. The pork was good though.

I really want this place to do well as I love Newtown. Having had different ramen in Hokkaido and other parts of japan i think this place can do much better with a bit more effort.

1 Thank MrF33der
London, United Kingdom
“Trendy restaurant”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

The whole time I was here it was teaming with people, in fact we were lucky to get a table.

The food is reasonably priced at $12 for a bowl of ramen, however the meal took 20 minutes to come which is quite a long time for a casual dining restaurant. The portions are on the smaller side and the flavour is average.

It's a trendy establishment with a laid back feel and a place I would go with a couple of friends to grab something quick to eat (although it wasn't very quick), not a place I would visit specifically to get ramen.

I found the wait staff quite rude - they didn't greet us on entry or say goodbye as we left.

1 Thank lve2travelfar
“Tasty and affordable”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My partner and I dined here tonight and had a very yummy dinner. We arrived at 5pm and by the time we left the place was packed. I am not sure whether you can take away here, however, if you can't I would recommend arriving early as the seats are limited.

I ordered the big bowl which was yummy, however, this was a little bland. My partner had a chilli chicken bowl and this was a lot more tasty. We also shared the pork buns. The pork buns are very different to what you can order in a Chinese restaurant. These buns are packed with pork belly and vegetables.

This place is licensed and according to my partner has a very good craft beer selection.

This place is also very affordable with dishes around the $12 - $14 mark.

If you are walking past here I would recommend you pop in and check it out.