“More of a dining experience than a belly fulfulling one”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Zeta Restaurant - CLOSED

Zeta Restaurant
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wellington, New Zealand
“More of a dining experience than a belly fulfulling one”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Restaurant Name: Zeta Restaurant
Location: 70 Tory St, Te Aro, Wellington
Date: 24th April 2013 (6.30pm)
Food Type: Pacific Rim (contemporary)

_______________________________________

Décor: (8.5/10)
Clean, green, sterile feel to it, with glass panelling and glass doors and an interesting curved recessed area for those wanting a little more privacy.

Atmosphere: (7/10)
Instrumental jazz music playing in the background, catering perhaps to a more refined group as reflected in the meals.

Service: (8.5/10)
Very tidy, professional, courteous and attentive. Its clear that the staff have been well versed in the art of waitering and take great pride in doing so.

In Summary: (8/10)
A meal that is much devoted to giving patrons a dining experience worth remembering. But I hasten to add that as much as I enjoy these masterchef dishes its not exactly going to satisfy the Samoan in me.
_______________________________________

(1) Starter: (9/10 – uniquely sublime)
Manuka Smoked Duck – rubbed with coriander leaves serve with pacific slaw with a hint of wasabi finish with mango salsa and lotus crisps $16.
Up until this dish came along I've only had duck served to me one way – peking. So I was surprised to bite into this only to encounter a flavour I've never tasted before. Once my taste buds grew accustomed to this “other” taste I delved into it with great relish.

(2) Starter: (7.5/10 – ideal starter)
Slices of Kiwiana Rewana – with Kawakawa folded butter, tomato relish and a spread of chick pea puree $8.50.
In its simplistic form its freshly baked bread with three toppings. Not your typical starter in so far as presentation is concerned but delightful nonetheless.

(3) Main Dish: (8.5/10 – superb)
Roast rack of Lamb – brushed with Manuka honeyed mustard and Piripiri Dukkah crusted lamb sweetbreads on green pea puree with rosemary jus lie and tempura of Pikopiko shoot $38.
The meat was cooked perfectly and the accompanying assortment of garnishes, herbs, etc took this dish to another level. All laid out artistically for the eyes to feast on. Superb.

(4) Main Dish: (7.0/10 - good)
Medallions of Angus eye fillet of beef – serve with blended cauliflower hinted of Kikorangi, candied red beets and Kawakawa leaves finished with smoked garlic, bacon and portobello mushroom compote $37.
The meat was cooked exactly as I asked which was medium. My mistake. I'm no connoisseur of steak but I'm guessing with high grade cuts of prime beef its best to eat those medium rare. Still a decent dish but next time I'll be ordering mine medium rare.

• Visited April 2013