“The (Crab) Shack”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Wellington, New Zealand
“The (Crab) Shack”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Disappointing first visit to the Crab Shack on the Wellington Waterfront. The crab cakes didn't have a crab flavour at all......the bread sticks were doughy, the enormous chicken burger that my son got was okay, but the side of undercooked chips, unappetizing. Rocket salad was good. Very hard to catch wait staff's attention. I had to get the attention of one, to tell them that another table had been trying to get their attention for 5-10 minutes. Decor is quite good with the crab pots hanging from the ceiling, but the food and service don't live up to the atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013
shed5crabshack, Manager at The Crab Shack, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your feed back Rachel P. Hugely disappointed that your visit to the Crab Shack was a let down. Your criticisms and observations have been taken on board and we are working on improving and rectifying those issues. So a big sorry from the team @ THE CRAB SHACK and hopefully you'll try us again in the future.

• Polish first
Auckland, New Zealand
“Funky but not fresh..?”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

From the outside it looked inviting, when we entered we were impressed - great decor, well thought out. Very very clean. Immediately we were approached by a welcoming, laid back staff member. Moments later, we were approached by another equally if not more informative and pleasant type. We ordered fish sliders (looked great, the bread was somewhat soggy but nonetheless very tasty), clam chowder (interestingly tasted mostly of chicken. Excessively salty and not too much of what we would have thought were clam or fish incorporated), horipito bread (adequate if not totally fresh), calamari rings (my pet hate when a chef cuts across the squid into small rings and liberally douses them in some kind of uncomplimentary coating. Maybe it was a Mediterranean or chilli coating but was not tasty), we ordered a scoop of clams however our waitress suggested we try a mixture of two kinds of clams. Apparently the chef had other ideas as our pleasant waitress returned a short time later to inform us that we were to receive mussels alongside the clams. Not wanting to make a fuss, we agreed. Seems the diamond clams were fresh but both the other had what might be described as an acrid, bitter flavour - consistent with older shellfish. The decor and the service staff triumphed. We expected more from a 'master chef' restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review THE CRAB SHACK Aria Carly. But so disappointing to hear that we did not live up to expectations. I can assure you the shell fish are fresh and alive, however I cannot explain the bitterness during your experience. The coating on the calamari is a star anise and sichuan pepper dusting. The other issues you have raised will be sorted and if you are to give us another go in the future I'm sure we can look after you to a much higher standard. But for this time round, a big sorry from the team @ THE CRAB SHACK.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Funky”
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Totally different from most restaurants. Loved the retro style - walls, chairs, plates, jugs all upcycled. Food was delicious. Loads of atmosphere. Great first time at a Simon Gault restaurant.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Good selection and value for family groups”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Arrived at 5.30pm on a Monday expecting the place to be packed (based on TA reviews) but there was only 1 other table occupied. (Though an hour later it was full.) We were seated and served promptly, though given plenty of time to peruse the menu. Dealt with several different servers during the course of the evening who were all very pleasant and professional. Husband had the cajun fish burger and fries which was plenty big (as he likes them!) He pronounced it good, if a bit 'bready'. The fish sliders, which were very small compared to others I've had (like at The Depot in AKL) were also a bit dry (again, the actual buns, though small, seemed quite 'solid' ) and so I asked the server (possibly the manager?) if I could have some aioli because of this. She was most apologetic and when she returned promptly with the aioli she asked if I would let them prepare me another plate of sliders to replace the first lot at no charge (though she still left us the original plate with 2 of the 3 original sliders on, which the kids promptly ate with the extra aioli!) The 2nd plate was definitely improved by the addition of extra sauce and she thanked me for bringing it to their attention so the chef could get it right. Most impressive! My husband also overhead a waiter offering the people at the next table a complimentary drink after their drinks order took a while to come. This is the sort of service that would bring me back, if I were a local. Our 3 kids (aged 11-13) all enjoyed their kids meals (fish & chips and chicken tenders - all with salad and a cut well above your usual kids fare) and the kids desserts were great value and a good size with the banana fritter 'split' a highlight. Wine by the glass was reasonable and a good size and my decaf flat white was also very good. While it did not match the brilliance of The Depot in terms of food or atmosphere, dinner at The Crab Shack was certainly a very pleasant outing and one I would recommend as offering good selection & value for families.

Montpellier, France
“Amazing for lunch - I'm taking the kids!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Had lunch with 3 others today, not too busy, great service. Very attentive and asked us what pace we wanted for our mains.....
I had Blackened Groper with Coleslaw and Hash Brown - all served on a tin plate. It was divine, couldn't get enough!,
Drinks were cool served in jam jars, very trendy.
I really enjoyed the rustic feel of the place.
Kids eat free on Sunday's, Crab Shack here we come!
Can't wait