“great lunch”

Ombra
Ranked #12 of 911 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, European, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Blenheim, New Zealand
“great lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

an excellent way to eat - good sized themed restaurant - all the dishes we tried were superb - waiter was very helpful and attentive - thanks

Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great atmosphere, great staff, food was a hit and miss for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Restaurant Name: Ombra
Location: Corner of Vivian and Cuba St, Te Aro, Wellington
Date: 30th June 2013 (7.00pm)
Food Type: Italian

_______________________________________

Décor: (8/10)
European Style mid 1920's. Delightful stained glass windows above with semi-curtained windows completing the bottom half giving you a little more privacy from the outside world. Tables are spaced pretty close together, but crammed as it is a mate and I had a 20 minute wait before we got a seat. Its just buzzing with activity.

Atmosphere: (8/10)
A lively warm vibe that is more pub oriented than Italian. Background music was hard to pin down but its hardly noticeable after a while and for the most part it did its part blending in.

Service: (8/10)
Very casual and yet professionally polished staff. Every staff member made a point of making sure clients understood the menu and how it all played out. Since we had to wait for a table to open up we had the luxury of having one of the bartenders explain the menu to us so by the time we were finally seated our meals arrived soon after.

In Summary: (7/10)
Much like Floriditas, its your more down-to-earth, home-cooked, delightful meals sourced from the freshest products available (my kind of meal). Only difference is the price here is much more wallet-friendly. That and the menu doesn't follow your standard format of entrees, starters, mains, etc. Think of it more like a chinese menu where you order as many different plates that you find appetising for you and your companion because its all shared.
_______________________________________

(1) Starter: (6/10 – interesting concept but I'll pass)
Polenta Chips $4
The chips were little 2cm cubes that had a crumbly texture on the outside and when you bit into it tasted much like mash potato. Its edible, but not what I was hoping for. Still, its good to try new stuff and others might find this sort of food pleasant. For me, I'll pass.

(2) Pizette: (6.5/10 – acquired taste)
Porcini Pizette $12
The scamorza smoked cheese on this mid-sized pizza has a nice creamy, melt in your mouth consistency that looks impressive. But its a taste that my palette has yet to come to terms with. Pleasant enough, but I think I'd have been satisfied with some other pizza they had on offer.

(3) Main: (8/10 – very tasty)
Veal $18.50
The meat had a very distinctive taste, much like a tenderised fall-off-the-bone schnitzel, smothered in a very creamy sauce. Very appealing taste-wise, though from a visual perspective one could almost mistake it for something the dog threw up. Lucky for me, my sense of logic won the day (I'll be honest, when I pay good money for food like this I'm not about to let my eyes decide otherwise).

• Visited June 2013
“Brunetti would approve!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Already one of the better, if not the best, Italian eateries in Wellington. Best described as Italian tapas, with a variety of interesting small dishes; try the beetroot gnocchi. Tiny range of wines but match the food well. We had an excellent Sicilian Pinot Grigio. The front-of-house was a charming young woman from Puglia who was helpful and informative. Unusually dynamic for a New Zealand restaurant but we thought a real marketing plus for the place. A characterful dining room with no tacky tourist posters.

Obviously trendy and popular. We arrived at 5.45 on a Tuesday and by 6.00 it was already full with people ensconced at the bar waiting for a table. So go early.

The name is an obvious plus for fans of Donna Leon and Commissario Brunetti!

• Visited June 2013
New Zealand
“In 1 word - Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Superb service, superb atmosphere, superb food. My partner and I visited for dinner and wow, we timed it imperfectly as it got very very busy rather quickly. Our server was just amazing, as it was our first time, she explained why it is called Ombra and what this term means, she was also very helpful in explaining what some dishes were and was very attentive throughout our meal. Normally we are not very good at trying new places as we know what we like so went here on a whim whilst wandering up Cuba looking for somewhere to eat, Ombra is now a favourite and we will be back every time we visit Wellington. Essentially it is Italian style tapas so make sure you order a few dishes from the menu, for 2 of us we ordered a pizzette, meatball, gnocchi, a pumpkin/spinach thing, and salad. Definitely enough to fill us but not enough to make us over full. Dishes are brought out as they become ready from the kitchen and so packed with flavour it was awesome! Chocolate/caramel mousse was great, tiramisu was brilliant! In fact, it was so good, I added a tip to my bill which for me, in NZ, is unheard of.

Visited June 2013
“Ombra”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

interesting food selection, but a bit on the pricey side!
$37 per person for finger food lunch mid week?
hmmmmmm......