“Great Food!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Went there on 3 different occasions. Food ordered for all 3 occasions were,

For Appetisers:

Braised Beef Brisket on Home Made Crispy Corn Tortilla; Chips with Guacamole and Salsa, Chips with Cheese, Prawn Ceviche

For Mains:

Crispy pork belly with guacamole and refried beans purée. Braised Beef Brisket. Slow cooked Lamb's Breasts and Slow Roasted Pork Hock with an apple and fennel salad.

Desserts:

Churros

Food was rich and heavy. Very good for a big eater like myself. For the Braised Beef Brisket Main, I only hope to have more fat on it because it was a little dry for my liking and more fat on that meat would add juiciness and flavour to the meat as well.

For the Pork Hock, if only there were more apple and fennel salad to cut through the richness of the dish, would have made it perfect.

Everything else was awesome!

There are newer reviews for Caliente

Reviewed June 2, 2014

When I visited Caliente Mexican Restaurant I got a pollo en salsa verde quesadilla (chicken in green sauce quesadilla) for dinner at $20. It was very nice, with fresh ingredients and well set off with a tasty mojito (at $12, probably not a badly priced cocktail). Not the cheapest Mexican going, but better food than many I've had. Meal size was acceptable, but perhaps a little on the small side for the price (see photo). The restaurant is fairly large, but there weren't many in it the night I dined. It is quite nicely decorated to the theme and was pleasant enough even being quite empty (see photo); with a crowd in it would probably have a good atmosphere.

One point to note is that while the food was tasty enough, it wasn't really spicy or hot in any sense. Furthermore I could see little indication that anything on the menu was very hot, perhaps watered down for a typical NZ taste, and there was no way of spicing things up. Just worth mentioning as 'caliente' translates to 'hot', which is partly what attracted me to the place, but hot the food is not.

The service was reasonable, but nothing special, and the staff didn't appear to speak any Spanish. Overall, without necessarily raving about it, I would recommend this place for decent Mexican in Wellington. Muy bien.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We popped in for a casual meal and the atmosphere was warm and inviting. The mojito needs a bit more mint but great they asked for feedback thoroughly enjoyed the rest of our meals and service was attentive and friendly.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We needed a meal before going to a concert so we wanted to have something reasonably quick and not very expensive. Oh and yes, we wanted it to taste good. This restaurant filled the bill. I had a lamb dish that was unusual and tasted very good. The decor is cheerful and quirky. Lots of candles.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

I was a bit disappointed with my visit here. Our food took a while to be served and our drinks took even longer despite the fact they only had to be poured out of a plastic bottle. Wait staff weren't fantastic, felt like they'd forgotten about us. Probably won't go back here.