“Mexico in the City” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caliente - CLOSED

Caliente
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Kapiti Coast, New Zealand
“Mexico in the City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We've been to all the Mexican restaurant/cafe in Wellington. They are all good, but this must be one of the best for sheer attention to customers, friendliness and magic food. We're in our 50s and our kids are in their 20s, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience, the food and the jug of superb sangria. Large groups and small, were all given endless attention, checking that all was okay. Any additional requests were happily and quickly dealt with.

New Zealand
“Thought the lunches were great and them came Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I had previously tried the pork burrito for lunch and loved it.
BUT
my duck with mole sauce for dinner this week was sublime. Tender pink duck sitting atop lentils with pieces of orange. A subtle hint of orange with the chocolate and mwa! Divine. One of the best meals I ahve had in a long time.

My friend loved the terakihi with a rice dish, not dissimilar to a paella.

The service was exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble. Both waiters were proactive, polite, respectful and knowledgeable.

Hong Kong, China
“Superb Lunch Fare.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Smoked fish/ Pescado Ahumado Quesadilla lunch must be the best Quesadilla lunch I've ever had, anywhere in the world. The quesadillas were healthy, light and delicious while the service was smiley and friendly. I had had dinner at Caliente in April but was delighted to discover that lunch is such a superb experience as well. Felicitaciones, guys ! You rock. Gracias.

“Awesome food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a lovely dinner here. Food was amazing, the cocktails were fab. The service was very good after a small hiccup on arrival (they forgot we were there, but were so apologetic). We can't wait to come Back!

• Visited May 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I'm undecided about this restaurant. I wanted to like it, having read the rave review in the dom post, and the staff seem nice.
I've been here for lunch (reasonably priced for a sit-down meal) and dinner (unreasonably priced for a Mexican restaurant - many mains dishes were > $30).
I've no idea if the flavours were authentic or not, but they were different. I also found the tortillas quite doughy, but I'm not a big fan of bread so that might be just me. One time I ordered the duck entrée, which was paired with some sweet pineapple salsa thing - interesting.
The service was also average - some of the staff are really helpful and listen, yet I had one waiter who misheard my order and questions (possibly my kiwi accent getting in the way?)

I like what they've done with the décor - nice and colourful given there was not much of a canvas to work with anyway. The table layout is very cramped - both times I visited, only a couple of other tables were occupied which made the place look quite empty.

On my last visit (dinner) the table we sat at was a bit sticky and there was this little fly thing that kept buzzing around. So possibly tables could do with a decent clean.

However for the location (corner Willis and Manners streets), the prices should be cheaper for dinner to attract a walk in crowd. This particular location has always struggled unfortunately.

Undecided if I would recommend this restaurant. It wasn't bad, but I am not sure I would go back.

• Visited June 2013