“Is it that hard to cook a steak?”
Review of El Matador

El Matador
Ranked #102 of 917 Restaurants in Wellington
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: El Matador, a vibrant and rustic Buenos Aires style eatery and bar, offers quality cuisine and beverages with a Latin twist. Featuring NZ's first traditional Argentine wood-fired asador and parrilla, an open kitchen, boutique bar, sunny sheltered courtyard, superb service and a great vibe, El Matador is the perfect place for a relaxed lunch or dinner. Also enjoy weekend brunch, tapas, drinks and delicious desserts made by the award winning pastry chef. El Matador is rated a BEST RESTAURANT and LOCAL FAVOURITE by NZ's Cuisine Good Food Guide Awards 2014!
Wellington, New Zealand
“Is it that hard to cook a steak?”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Our trip started well. It was a quiet Tuesday night and they were open. We were greeted with a smile and the service staff amazing. The entrées or Tapas were equally amazing. Pipeing hot cheese soaked in tomato was yummy and chickpea dish amazing. The wine well priced and delicious.

However, this is a steak restaurant so that is what we ordered. One rare, one medium rare. The steaks came out with tasty crisp like potatoes and salad. All good so far. Except Rare was uncooked and medium rare still mooing and soft. So they went back. The first time they reappeared with re heated meat and now cold potatoes and wilted salad the meat dumped on top. The service staff understood and had them redone after a discussion. The second time medium rare was medium rare but rare was not even seered well.

I suspect the chef simply wanted to get home early of course this is no excuse.

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
“One of Wellington's best”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Fantastic place - great food, terrific ambience, friendly and warm service, reasonable prices, top location in the humming district of Cuba St. Highly recommended.

• Visited March 2014
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“A fun night and great value”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I'd had El Matador recommended to me and it completely lived up to its reputation. Great food, and lots of it, very sweet and friendly staff and a surprisingly small bill at the end. A great atmosphere and lots of fun.

Visited April 2014
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Worst experience ever”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I'm from Argentina and I been living in New Zealand for 4 years, on my trip to Wellington I decided to go to this Argentinean Restaurant. I went with my partner, we had two desserts a beer and a hot chocolate which I couldn't drink. Was disgusting. We ordered the pancakes with dulce de leche, the pancakes were tiny, never seen a pancake that size. I didn't have a spoon for the ice cream. Also we ordered the churros with hot chocolate sauce, and I'm sure the chocolate sauce was off or burnt. I wait for someone to clear my table, but nothing happened so I went to the counter to pay. $35 for the worst desserts I have ever had! Not worth it! So disappointed! Never will recommend this place and is a shame that this is the way you represent my country!

• Visited May 2014
“Argentina in the heart of Cuba”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Excellent service and authentic atmosphere. The butterfly lamb leg is delicious and the gooey cheese starter hit the spot. Dining here will transport you to Buenos Aires without leaving the capital.

• Visited April 2014